My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an old homemade log splitter that I'm in the process of getting going again. I put a new (to splitter) engine on the unit and the piston does move back and forth but not enough pressure to split wood. Next step is to drain the reservoir and add new fluid since the old fluid in there now is green in color and looks to be all air bubbles. My question is what type of hydraulic fluid do i use? This is an older homemade splitter and the pump is an old Vickers.

What do you think?

Thanks, I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Depending on temperature, AW32 would be the most common, is it a gear pump? .If you're seeing air bubbles, make sure it's not sucking air somewhere, change the filter and make sure the tank is clean as well. Green hydraulic fluid, never seen that one before, seen amber, blue, red but never green.......Mike

·
21,425 Posts
Green is algae growing in the fluid. It will plug up the filter and eventually cause cavitation and/or air infiltration on the supply side of the pump

Any motor oil, ATF, or hydraulic fluid will work. Pick one and use only that one for replenishing. AW32 is a good choice, if not quite as common as motor oil or ATF. Temperature conditions determine the viscosity required.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Going to buy some AW32 today and drain the tank and refill. Fingers crossed!

SD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

So I refilled the tank with hydraulic oil and started her up! Piston/ram moving in and out great! Fluid seems to be flowing but once the ram hits the wood it basically stops and doesn't want to split the wood. :confused:

This is after a re-power with a Honda 11 HP engine and new fluid and also took the pump apart to make sure it was working properly (pump looked good). Could it be the piston/ram needs to be rebuilt?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
ST

·
21,425 Posts
It's possible that the cylinder needs to be resealed, but that sounds more like a pump problem than a cylinder problem. Another possibility is the relief valve setting.

If the pump is of the 2-stage variety, it may not be sequencing properly. The pressure for the flow from both pumps will move the cylinder but it will stall when meeting the wood causing the large pump to unload and allowing the small pump to exert its much higher pressure. The sequencing valve or the relief valve may be gummed up requiring a cleaning.

A pressure check is the best way to diagnose the problem.

·
Do what?
63 Posts
As stated, most likely the second stage of the pump. Mine was doing the same thing...
A generic two stage pump is about $100 (US) if you search the net. Some pumps can be rebuilt, if you can find the kit and prefer that route.
Pretty easy to replace (look at you-tube videos). You might have to get different hydraulic fittings/couplers, depending on the current versus new unit. I replaced the pump on my old splitter a couple of years ago. I added an in-line pressure gauge while I was at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts