My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is probably more appropriate for the accessories and attachments section, but I'm really curious to get everyone's thoughts!

Last winter I made a log arch to pull behind my garden tractor and have been using it this summer. I am fully sold on the benefits of log arching!! Well that got me thinking... Given how expensive these things seem to be, I wondered what I could build them for and maybe sell one here or there on Craigslist, just to have a little spare tractor/saw money. When I built my original, I definitely scoured for parts, like finding used car wheels and tires and having to cut out and recenter the rims, etc. It was rather time consuming and inconsistent! So I decided I'd take what I learned the first go 'round and build a new version out of easily ordered parts and make a few changes in design. Then I can use and test it, and then place it on craigslist just to gauge the interest... If someone wants it, I can just build another; if someone likes it but wants certain changes (like taller, diff tires, diff winch, etc), I can easily build one to those specs. Worst case scenario is I get two log arches!

Here's my first one. After using it, I feel it's oversized for the most part, and just a bit too heavy. The placement of the winch and height of the cable caused a bending moment on the top tube, and the hitch itself was too high, placing it far above the centerline of the axle when the top tube was level.

So, after some parts sourcing and thinking, here's version 2.0:

As this one sits, it'll hold a 30" log and should easily hold 2000lbs. I have to extend my winch wiring, but I do like the remote operated winch as opposed to a hand cranking one. Of course I could mount either style; same for ball coupler vs lunette eye. Also can easily make the arch frame out of 2x3 box, taller (like my first), and use a heavier spindle/hub/tire combo. That being said, I really like how this one came out size and weight wise! Much easier to maneuver about by picking up to place over log.

Can't wait to use it this weekend!!!

What do y'all think? Think anyone would buy a log arch at half the cost of the majority of online offerings...? LOL

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, if anyone is unfamiliar with what exactly a log arch is or does: it allows you to pick up a log in the center to suspend off the ground. This does a couple things; it allows for the log to be easily transported without dragging on the ground and since all the weight is directly suspended over the arch wheels with very little on the tongue, it allows atvs and smallish tractor to easily transport heavy logs with little ground impact.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice fabrication work, very nice welds. I think I'd 45 that front hitch assembly to main beam (like your original) to take some of the pressure off that weld. A heavy log will probably start dancing a bit after you gun it to pop the trailer wheel over a log/root/in-law and would put considerable stress on the joint.

To widen your customer base think how you'd transport it to them. If it could be broken down and palletized (or boxed even) you'd save on shipping. For reference Northentool would charge me ~$80 to ship their offering.

Good luck. Looks pretty cool. I love working in the woods and that would make life much easier.

·
-
1,833 Posts
Nice looking arch.

I'd bet you could probably get some business from here too.

One thought is that you may want to consider the liability if someone got hurt, i.e. trying to sue you. Money makes people (even your own family) do wierd things, like blood in the water for sharks... Maybe you could get a do not hold liable document drawn up?

Not saying you shouldn't try selling them, just wouldn't want any trouble to head your way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice fabrication work, very nice welds. I think I'd 45 that front hitch assembly to main beam (like your original) to take some of the pressure off that weld. A heavy log will probably start dancing a bit after you gun it to pop the trailer wheel over a log/root/in-law and would put considerable stress on the joint.

To widen your customer base think how you'd transport it to them. If it could be broken down and palletized (or boxed even) you'd save on shipping. For reference Northentool would charge me ~$80 to ship their offering.

Good luck. Looks pretty cool. I love working in the woods and that would make life much easier.

Good call. Not sure why I didn't add a brace there... Maybe just tired :fing20: I forgot to add my grab handles on the back too. Will have to make some changes next time I bring it down to the shop :trink40:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very nice work, that rig should last a while...

One thought,, I have used a larger arch (behind a massey 255) and one thing that was very handy was the fact it had another small arch near the front tof the rig. When the log was lifted, the front end of the log would be nestled in a inverted V. This way when you hit a bump, rut or in-law (I like that comment), the logs would not move from side to side. We were even able to strap multiple small logs together then lift and drag.

Unfortunately I dont have a use for one, the farmer I get my wood from has a log skidder, and transport trailer..

Again nice work...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thought,, I have used a larger arch (behind a massey 255) and one thing that was very handy was the fact it had another small arch near the front tof the rig. When the log was lifted, the front end of the log would be nestled in a inverted V. This way when you hit a bump, rut or in-law (I like that comment), the logs would not move from side to side. We were even able to strap multiple small logs together then lift and drag.

Took me a second but I think I figured out what you're saying... At first I thought you meant a separate wheeled arch, but I'm thinking maybe you mean there was a "U" of tube coming down from the top tube to help cradle the logs...? Certainly would make sense!

I do however have the front chain hanger that was meant to sort of serve that purpose... There are two chain hangers: one cut into the winch plate brace and one forward about 4-5ft so that chain could be wrapped around the log towards the front; the idea being that with the front of the log secured to the top tube, it won't sway out and catch on trees or brush as if it were allowed to float freely.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Nice work Nuzzy!:fing32: That is one nice piece of equipment you have built,many times could I have used something like that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got to play with the arch a bit today. First thing I noticed is how much easier it is maneuvering than my original! The second being the chain hangers. So much more efficient just dropping the chains into place vs what I was doing before. I also really like the winch having a direct pull over the log; before I had a long stretch of tensioned cable that I hated having so close to my face while hooking chains.

The chickens greeted me just about every time I came out of the woods :sidelaugh

I still have some of the aforementioned changes to make, but over all I'm happy with it thus far!

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Great looking build there. All the fabrication looks top notch.
Kbeitz that's a good idea but I'd go with log tongs. Would hold well and less chance of chain failure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, skidding tongs are what I'd really like to run to avoid the hassle of digging the cable or chain under the log. I hope someday money isn't so tight :(

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I agree, skidding tongs are what I'd really like to run to avoid the hassle of digging the cable or chain under the log. I hope someday money isn't so tight :(
Regarding the log tongs I've got a homemade pair around here somewhere that were built from a large pair of matching crowbars.Might be something to keep in mind for a low buck alternative.:fing32:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts