My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever locked a differential on a 98 Huskee GT? If so i would like some pictures if you have them and how it went. I am looking to do this for myself and i understand all the risks in doing it. I want to know what part to weld to make the wheels lock togeather. I have been looking at the parts book and i cant seem to figure out what or where the differential is and what to weld.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Can we have a picture of the tractor?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
just call me silly , but wouldn't chains help .

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
weld the spider gears.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hard is it to take the thing apart and get to this without breaking it? I am kinda nervious taking the thing apart it looks complicated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the parts book i cant find a spider gear in the diagram at all all i see that comes close to what i want to weld is a differential shaft. And this thing is a Hydro-Gear. What makes me mad is a step up from this hydro has a locking differential option.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i welded the gears togeather but the thing back togeather and it seems really tight in there and its hard to turn. I beleve the gears are welded a tiny bit crooked :banghead3 but i think i will just ride it out i guess:fing20:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Where are you at in Mi. If you need parts, I have 3 MTD GTs that I am parting out.
Kyle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leonard MI

i think i can just ride it until the gears wear to fix themselves but it not i need a whole new differential gears and the shaft that goes to the right wheel if you are looking at the hydro from the back. my tractor is apart so its gunna be a while before i know if it will work

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok the problem is fixed it turned out that my weld was in the way of the bolt the holds the axle on i grinded the weld down and its working like the way it should.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am wondering if anybody elese has done this and how do you like it?

I would test it but i am restoring the tractor and turning it into a log skidder. so its taken all apart now.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Put in a line shaft and put sprockets on both axles to it... This way you can take it back off if you dont like it ....

·
GT Finatic
62 Posts
Hey bud I just thought Id shine a llittle light on the subject. I know your husky is a hydro. I have a couple questtions and then I have a suggestion. Is the hydro rear that is in the husky a one peice or two what I mean by that is does it have an external hydro pump or is it the type that is just the trans that doesnt have an external pump. Looks like it doesnt have an external hydro pump to me but its not my tractor so I dont know. The second questiion is does the hydro trans have any affect on any implements you may or may not be able to get? If doesnot here is what you should do find a Peerless gear drive trans I prefer the 3 sp there slower but seem to hold up better than the 5 and 6sp when locked. You can get one at a salvage yard or parts mower cheap. They came in lots of things Dynamart murray craftsman sears lawn cheif amf almost all of the older vertical shafts that were gear drive and base models had these. They make a good candidate for locking. Your husky is belt drive and I assume it has a clutch and idler pulley just like the other belt drive hydros ive seen so doing the swap would be fairly simple they are probobly about the same as far as how they bolt up. Plus on a gear drive when they get hot they keep pulling and the valves on a hydro lock up and make it stop pulling so much almost at all. The only thing you may have to do is make a bracket or two and get the pulleys in line its not very hard at all and as i said a gear drive trans may bolt right up. If you wanted the extra gears you could get a 5sp or 6 sp peerless. They are also a good trans. Now locking them is simple you take off your wheels and hubs if it has any after you drain the fluid of course. Then pull the bolts out of the caseing of the trans and split the case. One side of the trans has the gears and input junk aswell as one of the axles runs through it the other holds the spider gears and axle. You will now when you begin to split it cause you will see the spider gears exposed and the axles run into them. Now when I welded the ones Ive done I simply and carefully slid the axles and spider gears out of the other side of the case just a little not all the way and not much covered up the side of the case the axle was still in so I didnt get any spatter or un wanted debris in there any where. I welded the gears solid I really over welded them I also welsed the axles into place where the c clip holds them in. Then I welded the entire set of spider gears all the way around and filled the whole in the middle and all of it with weld so that it would have less of a chance of breaking. Now by doing this if you break something its pretty much junk but you get alot better traction and get more power to the ground. Now you do compensate steering and driveability as it will be harder to steer. Ive never heard of anyone locking a hydro trans before so Im not sure what you might have done wrong if anything or how it should act. I hope this helps thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts