My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
just getting started
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a locking differential option for the 200 series tractors?

Having some traction trouble (turfs don't help).

Chris

·
Super Moderator
32,813 Posts
Chris,

Never heard or seen anything for the 200 series, I used the old "lean to the left, lean to the right" method of spin control! I had a 110, 212, and 216 and if I still had them I would invest in some HDAP's!

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I seem to recall reading about there being one over at weekend freedom machines but evidently it was quite rare.From what I remember the parts are all NLA.

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
The GT225,GT235 and GT245 in theory could take diff/lock Because the GX255 was built on the same Frame as those GT200 series tractors. But on the older 200 series from 1975 to 1987 never had diff/lock in any of its models. My suggestion is AG's I run ag's year round on my JD X485 as long as the yard isn't super wet they don't tear up the Yard I use to run ags on my 1988 JD 240 year round. The First Deere Garden tractor to Have Diff/lock was the 420 in 1983.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The GT225,GT235 and GT245 in theory could take diff/lock Because the GX255 was built on the same Frame as those GT200 series tractors. But on the older 200 series from 1975 to 1987 never had diff/lock in any of its models. My suggestion is AG's I run ag's year round on my JD X485 as long as the yard isn't super wet they don't tear up the Yard I use to run ags on my 1988 JD 240 year round. The First Deere Garden tractor to Have Diff/lock was the 420 in 1983.:thThumbsU
I believe the gx255 was built on the same frame as the gx345. The gx255 can take a hydraulic tiller, but a gt2xx can not.

·
just getting started
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris,

I used the old "lean to the left, lean to the right" method of spin control!
Jeez, I felt really weird doing that this afternoon :) It didn't improve my traction sufficiently to get moving; had to back out and take a smaller swipe at the dirt pile with the blade.

The tires are partially filled with fluid, but I have no external weights. I have not tested the chains yet (not sure how useful they'd be on damp grass in any event).

So; no locking diff parts that aren't rarer than hens teeth...

I suppose this will open a can of worms, but is there a favourite brand of AG bar or HDAP tire for this application? I suppose ribs for the front?

Chris

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
GX255 cannot take a Hydrulic tiller Only tractor's with Hydraulic lift Could take a Hydraulic tiller. Reason being the Hydrulic tiller weight of 265Lbs For Example the X500 and X520 Cannot take a Hydrulic tiller only a 30inch Mechanical tiller which has a weight of 145Lbs. The GX255 was built on the Same frame as the GT245 But it had Power steering and Diff/lock. But used a Foot Pedal spring assist lift just like the GT245 at that time

GX255

GX255 Frame

GT245

GT245 Frame

GX325

GX325 frame

:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I'd swear I read about there being a limited slip available in the 200 series but I can't find it.But I did find reference to one being available in the 112 H model Deere evidently a variant of the 2300 trans as it is a 2317 trans by peerless.

·
Super Moderator
31,901 Posts
The old 112's had it on some models. If your taliking 200 searies as in the old 210-216... I guess you COULD retrofit a 112 one in it IF you could find one.... But frankly real tires, and some weight would help a LOT. I have cheap/cheezy turffs on my 112, and they spun around corners till I put weights on it. OK now, but it will get bar tires when they need replacing.

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
Yes you could retrofit the limited slip differential from a 110 or 112 into a 200 series 75 to 87 because the Has the same transaxle But the limted slip differential was really like the modern Diff/lock meaning you couldn't engage it your self with a foot pedal which the 420 had and it wasn't like a bolens either where you locked it in the middle of the Hubs. from what I understood about it was it was sort of like the Simplicity automatic traction :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Like pigsitter said the 2317s were LSD but if I recall correctly something in them breaks very easily making them no longer limited slip and the parts to repair it are NLA.

·
Super Moderator
16,532 Posts
Well they no longer avaliabe form deere part Warehouses. They are limited to Dealer stock and bone Yards so You might fine those parts sitting in a JD dealers parts Dept somewhere at some dealer.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah, the GX255 was sort of a hybrid between GT and GX. GT frame, GX transmission, and a lower cost means of power steering - the "steering assist" motor on the steering shaft below the battery.

Those limited slips really don't work as you'd like. Even the current one Simplicity uses isn't that great. It's just some springs and clutches, and won't positively lock if the load if the load is too great.

I used to spin tires on my tractor when cutting my sidehill and I added water-loaded bars and I'm good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts