My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well bought Miller big 20 which is welder with generator. It 200 amps with 100% duty.

Only paid $200.

We was look at Continental y112 4 cylinders which is lock up from exhaust's rain cap stuck open during rain storm.

Owner claim 1 cylinder is stuck and 3 cylinders is good.

My friend told me just put wrench on it.

I wonder what will help loose this engine? Would pb blaster dissolve rust in cylinders?

Thank

·
Registered
596 Posts
I myself like the Kroil product out of Nashville, TN. I've read on a Deere Crawler board that 50% acetone 50% tranny fluid mix is the killer setup; haven't tried it yet.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I have a Y-69 Continental that sat for years,at one time it was "stuck",but filling the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil for a few days and a tug on a breaker bar on the crank bolt broke it free easily..I feared it was rusty inside,but I borrowed a camera a friend has that he uses at work to inspect hidden areas and it was not pitted at all..I got the engine started after that and it smoked,but no worse than it did when I got it--this thing was on a bog pump at a cranberry bog and was run for weeks on end,stopping only to fill it with oil and do any maintenence..I have been told Continental engines have a very high nickel content and do not wear or rust internally much,compared to other engines..I believe it!..when I removed the valve cover on my flathead,the valve springs were like brand new,still had paint on them,and the galley was spotless,I was surprised,seeing it was outside all its life --originally it was from a hay bailing machine I think..(the bog mechanic used Rotella T 15W-40 in it ,and it kept the engine nice & clean,no sludge at all)..

I would soak the cylinders good with penatrant and then try to coax it free with a bar,but do not force it or a ring might break..chances are good she'll free right up and run OK,I would spin it over by hand several revolutions and feel for any binding that might indicate a stuck valve--one that sticks shut could break the cam or something else if you just try whipping it over with the starter right away..free any stuck valves up before trying to start it..

·
Super Moderator
32,168 Posts
I would soak the cylinders good with penatrant and then try to coax it free with a bar,but do not force it or a ring might break..chances are good she'll free right up and run OK,I would spin it over by hand several revolutions and feel for any binding that might indicate a stuck valve--one that sticks shut could break the cam or something else if you just try whipping it over with the starter right away..free any stuck valves up before trying to start it..

there is my advice to a T.

Take your time, and dont force it at all.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that what I was think.

When I look at engine I don't think it run many hours. To my best guess it would be around 1,800-2,500 hours and I have see many welders like this have 3-7K hours.

That great you make my worry to less after hear what you say are high nickel content.

We think diesel or kresone would work?? Or I should get Marvel Mystery Oil?

I told friend it best let fill 4 cylinders full of oil then let sit for 1-2 weeks which make little easy on ring from fight rust cylinders.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Diesel will work it's way around those rings and pistons given time. A couple of weeks of soaking should do the job just fine if the engine is going to free up at all.

If a valve is actually stuck shut the engine will not turn over as the cam will bind against it and not be able to turn thus locking the engine solid. Most often a stuck valve will be in the open position and allow the engine to be turned but that cylinder will show zero compression.

Once you are able to turn the engine over and have blown the diesel, or other, soaking oil out of the cylinders be sure to change the oil prior to starting the engine as you will probably have quite a bit of soaking oil in the crankcase.

Mike

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was amazing how acetone mix with automatic could loosen SO FASTEST.:thThumbsU

First we try it was BUDGE and my friend was gonna to force when I say THAT ENOUGH.

I pump all water out. Nearby 4 cups and they were look new like couple months. Plus owner been fill with pb blaster but it turn THICK when mix with water. It was TOUGH to pump while I suck hose.

Fill 4 cylinders with mixtures. 1 hour I try it wasn't moving. I wait 2 hours try it finally moving like 1/4" So I thought it best let wait for soak though rings. Another 1 hour later finally it loosen half way. I decided stop and refill with atf then wait for another hour. Try again finally it spin.

My friend couldn't believe it. He thought it won't loosen for like couple days.

But there one thing it help because PO fill with PB blaster to try loosen and gave up.

Thank god for PO put pb blaster that actually help my time to get loosen. If he didn't put pb blaster it would get me 1 week to loosen.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok put starter it spin so fast it shot all oils out cylinders plus water too.

Put new spark plugs and spark plugs wires.

Try start it smoke out exhaust. It sound like firing order is wrong.

I think I am confused with firing order on this one.

I have question is number 1# cylinder near water pump?

Carb was full of green stuff plus rust. It was block gas from flow to carb.

How I find dist cap where firing order would start from?

PO put dots mark on cap. here example ... .. .... . on dist cap so I thought it could be right. But I feel it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
32,168 Posts
Number one is the cyl away from the flywheel. As for what plug goes where.... Put that number one cyl on top dead center, with the valves closed. Then pull the dist cap, and see where the rotor is pointing. Thats whare you start. No idea on the firing order on that one though. cant help you there.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Number one on my dist. cap is marked with #1 on it!..yours might not be though..
I'd use Ingersoll's suggestion to find which one #1 is....I wouldn't be surprised if some of the valves are stuck open..

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All have compressor I check.

We will check firing order again.

Tractor-Holic it have yellow dots mark on it.

Now where can we find carb bowl gasket? We remove because it was dirty and gasket kind brittle badly.

I try google I can't find it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The last time I dealt with one, I got the carb kit from AirTex welding supply. You might try a similar source. They oughta have the firing order info on all the industrial engines as well.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
If it is a Marvel-'Schebler carb,a tractor supply place will probably have one,they used similar carbs on many tractors ,forklifts,etc..Napa or a good parts store can probably get you a Jiffy Kit for it..probably need carb numbers to get the right one..

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is Walbro LUB3

Try tractor supply they don't have.

Try google but they don't look right.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try called local part stores.

They don't have Walbro LUB3 but they offer new zenith carb that $250 it not worth for almost 31 years old welder.

·
Super Moderator
32,168 Posts
Try called local part stores.

They don't have Walbro LUB3 but they offer new zenith carb that $250 it not worth for almost 31 years old welder.

Can you post a pic of the carb, and/or gasket. Maybe we can offer ideas.

You have enough gasket left to make a copy? Any real autoparts store should be able to get you gasket paper.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok my old Neighbor make carb gasket.

Welder is tough to start! It struggle to fire. But it help much if I have gas blower direct to carb that actually cut lot on crank time.

Without blower it would crank up to 30 sec then struggle stay running.

With blower it get like 10 sec then run like cold diesel blow black/white smoke.

Best thing generator still work but We try weld it need clean connector on welder.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well engine wasn't run 100% power it half way.

Was inspect and found #3 cylinder's intake valve stuck open.

I remove lifter cover off. :crybaby: You not gonna believe. It full of rusty inside plus water still in there.

Would fill engine with full of diesel and soak for weeks would work? All valves springs are rusty so bad that I am surprise they still moving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts