My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening as we finished cutting the grass--my bride asks me -"Can you hear this funny nopise under the mower"? Well--her hearing is better than mine--but Yes--I could hear a kinda grinding/growling noise when you moved in reverse...
O.K.--Got it out by the workshop-took the bagger chutes off-dropped the deck down--and by shining a flashlight up there--I discover the plastic cooling fan looks to have hit something--some of the blades are managled.
:banghead3 What now, I think? That wouldn't make that noise, I wopuldn't think--unless it's still hitting something...

So later today--I'm going to put her up on jack stands and drop the tranny down and see what's going on....
In the meantime, I've read back thru the archives and learned about
Jim WV re-do and the oil change procedures..I won't really know about anything yet, but the fan, until I get it on the ground...

glenn (not looking foward to this):crybaby:

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done quite a bit of research in last 12 hours on these tranny's----
kind of in a quandry now--depending on what I find...

However--pictures wil be forthcoming--and most likely --
going to have to pick some JD brains here...

:thanku:

glenn

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well--we went at the tranny issue yesterday. I borrowed my son's mower, just in case we couldn't find /fix the problem with mine.

Anyway-Jason came by (My son) and helped remove the transmission. I had read all the stickies and notes here--and we pretty much followed the same course, of action...Luckily--he's really quick wrenching-- (CAT field tech, in real life)...Got it out----mmmm....

1. Top cooling fan was broken in several places.. seems like the snap ring at the top of the shaft had 'dis-appeared (??)--letting the whole pulley/fan move up an the frame.....

Luckily--I had one laying on ther workbench I had salvaged from someone's else's dilemma a while back..:D So we cleaned the splines-lubed it up a little, and re-installed the 'used' one.
Not perfect--but it will work, for now. (I'm trying to take the cheap route here)
Then cleaned off the top of the tranny good-and removed the big rubber plug-flipped it over and drained the oil out, rolling it over and around to get as much out as possible.

Everything seems to turn free, so we install new Castroil Syn. 5W-50 oil, and button her back up. We jack it back into place and re-attach everything. Let down off jack stand--test it around the yard--running good, as far as I can see.:fing32::fing32:

Total time is 3hr. 20min....I know down the road, I may have to pull it again, and go more in depth--but that is in the future, and everything was 'never-seized as we re-installed. In the meantime, I will score another pulley/fan assembly--as this is the weak point here, and in my opinion--a very bad design. (should have just been stationary --with a bolt/nut design.....)

Just a couple pictures--as my hands were oily, and couldn't hold a wrench and camera...:Stop:

glenn

Attachments

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Wow Glenn, looks like that fan certainley needed changed alright, hope all goes well with the oil change and continued improvement :fing32:.

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input and help, Jim--along with info from other members--Wally2Q, and Stridrll...

What a wealth of info here!!

Follow-up! Ran it more than 3 hours Sat. evening--cutting/bagging--seems to be doing good.!! I'm going to have to be more diligent and make sure I clean good around that tranny every time, and keep an eye on that fan/pulley set up--it's just so jumbled up together in there....:banghead3:banghead3

glenn

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
So do you have to remove the rear end to change the oil and how bad did the old oil look and how much new 5w 50 did it take to fill it. Thanks for the info and the pictures.:thThumbsU

·
16,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So do you have to remove the rear end to change the oil and how bad did the old oil look and how much new 5w 50 did it take to fill it. Thanks for the info and the pictures.:thThumbsU
Yes--completely remove the transaxle--to on the ground....Then lay across a good sized drain pan...

That was even to get to the 'snap ring' on top of the output shaft , that was no longer there....:crybaby:
I wanted to check everything out--and drain the oil, and clean it, while out..

About 1-1/2 qts. oil-- (maybe a hair more came out)--so that is what we refilled with--and I know we didn't get it all out--but twisted and turned for 15 mins. The oil really didn't look that bad--but you can't tell without siphoning it thru a strainer and we didn't take that time. The little metal screen, under the cap, which is actaully the filter, if pulled apart..--we did wipe and clean good--but didn't see any residue...

glenn

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
32,756 Posts
Always learning something on the site, that's what keeps me coming back! Your fan looked almost as bad as 2001gadt's fan on his snowblower! Glad you had the extra one there and got it all back together and running!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts