My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just given a John Deere 430 mower and need a little help. The mower in question is a 1984 JD430 with a 6ft deck. It has a little over 745 hours on it. From what I can tell the dates on the last time it was in for service, until now has been 14 years and in that time it was ran 2 hours. The tractor has spent it's entire life in a pole barn under a plastic tarp. It does not have a 3pt not sure about a rear PTO. Other than being dirty it looks perfect. It does have 4 flat tires I am going to fill and see if they hold air. Battery is toast, fuel is 14 years old.
I wanted to bring it home before trying to start it. Where is the release for the hydo drive so I can push it on a trailer? Other than cleaning it and checking for mice homes what do I need to do before trying to start? Do I need to drain the old fuel out? If it was your tractor what would you do before putting in a new battery and turning the key? I'll get pic's next time I get out their, I'm a Wheel Horse collector and I know without pic's it didn't happen. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
38,406 Posts
Wow, given a 430! Wish I had someone do that for me. JD made all the operator manuals free to download from their Tech Pubs website, I have a link below for you. I seem to remember someone saying just the other day to find neutral on the two speed transmission and that serves as the hydro release. If that is wrong then it should be just forward of the Right rear tire just along the frame there should be a handle.

Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store (deere.com)

Some help on how to use the site:

Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Tread

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
Indeed, getting a Deere like that for free is awfully lucky!! Good for you! I can't answer any questions, I'm always, but just wanted to congratulate you on a great score! Can't wait to see pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised the heck outta me too. I tried to give 1000.00 dollars for it and was told to take it. Just something that has been in the way for 25 years. Wait till I post the pics this thing is showroom. Other than the hubcaps they have rust spots showing through the chrome. Have too see if they can be plated.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
475 Posts
I would drain all the old fuel from the tank and the lines and change the oil. Then, get a little oil in the cylinders before you turn the engine over. The cylinders might be dry after sitting for that long.

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
I would drain all the old fuel from the tank and the lines and change the oil. Then, get a little oil in the cylinders before you turn the engine over. The cylinders might be dry after sitting for that long.
Seems like good advice to me. I'd squirt a bit of oil into the cylinders (turkey baster, syringe with no needle, etc), and turn the engine over several times to help distribute it and coat the cylinders. If you have fogging oil, you could spray that in, it might do a better job of coating the whole surface.

I'd change the oil. And once you get it to fire up, I'd run it for a few minutes, to mix up the oil and warm it, and then change the oil again. Who knows what is in the crankcase that may not have drained out in the first oil change.

I'd also check under engine cooling shrouds for debris, if this is air cooled.

·
Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
531 Posts
Per PA318, the High-Low shifter (on the deck as you sit on the seat, reach forward with your right hand) has a neutral position.

Oil change
Check air filter (if OK, I'd replace it once you know the engine runs)
squirt some oil in the cylinders (remove glow plugs to squirt). I like the idea of fogging oil.
EDIT its a diesel. Just pour some diesel in the cylinders for lube
replace the fuel and flush out the lines and replace the fuel filter.

If you have a small tank of sorts, you could just gravity feed fuel into the injection pump to see if it will run. That delays the hassle and cost of dealing with the existing fuel system.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Flat tires? Use TireJect in them so you can forget about them leaking air and refilling them constantly while you are working on it and rolling it around. TireJect treated tires will hold air for a couple years so you have time to assess the tires and replace them, if and when you want.

Reactions: CantKeepUp

·
Administrator
12,996 Posts
Congrats on scoring one of my favorite JD’s, the 430 is a beast of a machine. Look forward to seeing your pictures! That was almost a $10,000 machine back in 1992, probably one of the best freebies I’ve ever heard about around MTF. 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is great to hear all the positive things about this mower. Don't know squat about these as I've always been a Wheel Horse guy. I have to say this is one big mower. What's the draw to these mowers? I've done some research today and they seem to be well thought of. I have a big cyclone rake and wanted something to attach it to. This should do the job.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are you sure it's not a 5ft (60") deck?

The hi-lo transmission lever (cantkeepup's picture) needs to be pulled back before being moved left to right.

As posted above, neutral is the middle position. (mine sometimes wanted to get stuck in neutral)

I'd change all fluids and filters before cranking it over/ tying to start.
Hydraulic/engine oil/fuel/coolant fluids.
Engine/hydro/fuel/air filters.

If you don't have a manual you can download the operators manual free from Deere's website. It will be helpful regarding the fluid and filter changes.
Deere stie>parts and service>manuals and training>operators manuals for ag & turf> 'click' on equipment publications > put model number in entry box > sort thru and find the ones that are for the 'Lawn&Garden tractor' (there was also a 430 field tractor many years before the 430 L&G
There operators manuals are for specific serial number ranges. (get the language you prefer....)

Hydro level is checked at the little glass tube visible from rear of the machine. There is a good chance the rubber hoses that connect to it are dry-rotted and may be missing.

430 Diesel Lawn and Garden Tractor MP1855 A.1
1984 Model (Serial No. M00430X285001-315000)
1985 Model (Serial No. M00430X315001-360000)
1986 Model (Serial No. M00430X360001-420000)
1987 Model (Serial No. M00430X420001-475000)
1988 Model (Serial No. M00430X475001-595000)
1989 Model (Serial No. M00430X595001-999000)
1990 Model (Serial No. M00430X010001-100000)
1991 Model (Serial No. M00430X100001-110000)
1992 Model (Serial No. M00430X110001- )
Note: The ending model serial number " -999000" for 1989 is higher than the beginning model serial number "010001- " for 1990.
(Specifications and design subject to change without notice.)

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,536 Posts
Nice! Can't wait for the pics.
Good luck getting it running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are probably right, I thought they said 6ft deck but it may have been 60in I just misunderstood. I will know better when I get it home.

·
Premium Member
John Deere X485 John Deere GT235
469 Posts
So I was just given a John Deere 430 mower and need a little help. The mower in question is a 1984 JD430 with a 6ft deck. It has a little over 745 hours on it. From what I can tell the dates on the last time it was in for service, until now has been 14 years and in that time it was ran 2 hours. The tractor has spent it's entire life in a pole barn under a plastic tarp. It does not have a 3pt not sure about a rear PTO. Other than being dirty it looks perfect. It does have 4 flat tires I am going to fill and see if they hold air. Battery is toast, fuel is 14 years old.
I wanted to bring it home before trying to start it. Where is the release for the hydo drive so I can push it on a trailer? Other than cleaning it and checking for mice homes what do I need to do before trying to start? Do I need to drain the old fuel out? If it was your tractor what would you do before putting in a new battery and turning the key? I'll get pic's next time I get out their, I'm a Wheel Horse collector and I know without pic's it didn't happen. Thanks guys
Great find, congratulations..!

Sounds like you are going to do the necessary prestart check list items. Fresh gas, filters, fluids, plugs, fuses, etc. FOG the cylinders good (don't be shy with the fogging oil)
Drain old gas, anti-freeze, hydro oil and replace.
After sitting for so long there is no telling whats happened and you don't want to circulate old junk into your system.

Get your service/tech, operators, deck and engine manuals and have them ready.
Drop the deck and give it a good eyeball everywhere.

Lots of cavities for creatures to have called home..LOL

Lots of great advice here by experts so, give some of them a chance to chime in here.
It's been sitting a lone time and a little longer won't hurt it.

You should have a lot fun and satisfaction bringing such a nice tractor back into service..Best of luck

Plant Wood Cuisine Natural material Automotive tire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I will throw this out there, I need/want a 54in front blade with correct mounting hardware for a 430 mower. If anyone has one they are willing to part with pls let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
Man, this machine keeps sounding even awesome-er! Diesel, high/low-speed tranny, and a locking differential. And tractordata.com says it weighs 1200 pounds. That is a beast!

@Detroit Wing Nut , congratulations again! I'm jealous :) Can't wait to see pics once it's home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts