My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Little victories are better than any losses Larry! I will keep an eye out for a carb for you

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike, hoping to find something local over the winter. Would be nice to match the original but if I have to, will use something later model, as long as it bolts up ok.

Had been looking for parts when I picked up that little 8hp Toro for $60. Just needed fresh oil and gas to run. Wish we had more summer ahead of us.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Was in the next town over a couple days ago to pick up an Allis Chalmers Sprint... litte RER, still in the trailer so no pics but the guy also had an 8 hp B+S in the shop BUT no carb on it otherwise I might have picked it up. The Sprint was free but everything else he wanted money for, I noticed a couple other older engines but the guy is planning to have a garage sell so I told him to call me after the sale is over and that I might take whats left... will see.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Was in the next town over a couple days ago to pick up an Allis Chalmers Sprint... litte RER, still in the trailer so no pics but the guy also had an 8 hp B+S in the shop BUT no carb on it otherwise I might have picked it up. The Sprint was free but everything else he wanted money for, I noticed a couple other older engines but the guy is planning to have a garage sell so I told him to call me after the sale is over and that I might take whats left... will see.
Appreciate you're keepin' an eye out for one too Lance. No idea how many years that model carb was current. Might get lucky if an old engine was kept indoors on a shelf. Hoping to stay original if I can...... who knows, one day my Grandson may become a dedicated collector.

Was originally gonna modify the seat and pedals so he could reach and drive it, but having the little Toro RER now, we may just store this Ford till he's taller.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whats the Toro look like? dont think Ive seen it... but I have one of those in the shed also....
Think I cross referenced the year, but forgot now, no deck, just a rider.

Runs great, no smoke, all the gears work. Called a Recycler...??

Right now I just push the driver around with a length of 2x4.

James on new Toro tractor, T&C snowblower 005.JPG James on new Toro tractor, T&C snowblower 008.JPG

James on new Toro tractor, T&C snowblower 006.JPG Toro on the picnic table 006.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
looks a bit bigger than the one I have.... Ive never even looked at it to see if the motor turns... cant sell those little machines for much so if it takes more than an hour or two to get them running I dont usually bother... unless I get bored.Lol
It had just a 25" deck..... not a whole lot of good out on the prairies.

But it's about half the weight of the little Ford and a lot easier for me to push up and down the driveway.

I blocked the linkage so it only gets R / N / 1st and hope to get him driving it next summer. Current thought is installing a pole up the back with about a 25' cord and a stop switch that I can follow him around with while he learns.

Next stage may be a trailer with a lawn chair in it for me.:tango_face_devil:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Not what the wife meant when she asked you to put a conversation piece on the table for when people come over...
Toro on the picnic table 006.JPG

In all fairness, I did PUSH it up there Dave, not drive it ......... but... now that it's running......:tango_face_devil:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Time to get back to the little Ford RMT66. It's been sitting on the drive up bench since before the first snowfall.

It had been serviced last fall, but needed a new carb, which arrived a couple months ago from Ebay ($38 Cdn.)

Today that new carb got installed along with a new shut off valve and filter.

Thought I was doing a great job till I got some better light and realized all those fuel line connections are right over the hot exhaust....OUCH !

Somebody besides me wasn't thinking.:hide:

It will either get a heat shield made or the complete fuel line run in from around the other side.

I did however try it, and on the second pull, it roared to life...

Being a '76 in storage, it's probably been 20 yrs or more since it ran..... remember the pics of that old carb! Ya, pretty disgusting!

Left it running on the bench for a few minutes..... "no smoke at all" (amazing!) and fairly smooth "right out of the box". But those idle adjustments will be fun to get fingers onto.

. Ford RMT66 new carb 072.JPG Ford RMT66 new carb 080.JPG

. Ford RMT66 new carb 082.JPG Ford RMT66 new carb 086.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Glad you're back on this project Larry! Happy to hear it's alive :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Glad to be back at it Mike. Been out in the shed lookin' at it many times thru the winter, but just been too cold for gloves off / finger work if you didn't have to.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So you must be gettin some spring weather then Larry?? Been real nice here lately... 10+ daily.... Ive already had the bike out a couple times. Still early so we could get more snow but it wont stay long.
Hey Lance, just borderline nice here so far. Above freezing during most of the day but no rush to unpack the bikini yet.

Snow is pretty well all gone except for what turned to solid ice, and of course my plow piles.

Lots of gravel got pushed up with all the attempts to control the ice. The blower and the pusher both worked flawlessly all winter but next year the strategy will have to switch to a lot more salt.

We had 6 weekends in a row that shifted back and forth between snow and freezing rain. Just could not keep on top of it. And of course, everybody kept selling out of salt.

Had the little RMT running on the bench again today. Maybe get it back on the ground this weekend when the driveway drys up.

Roads must be pretty dry your way if you've had the bike out already. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
so how did those atv tires work for ya???

city streets are very dirty still so I wouldnt want to ride the bike on those but the highways are fine, we are into double digit temps this week so the frost is starting to come out of the ground.... any snow we might get now wont stay long.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
so how did those atv tires work for ya???

city streets are very dirty still so I wouldnt want to ride the bike on those but the highways are fine, we are into double digit temps this week so the frost is starting to come out of the ground.... any snow we might get now wont stay long.
Funny you should mention those knobby ATV tires Lance....

With the RMT now running and the tires on it, in all probability, original, I was just considering putting a set of 8" knobbys from a parts snow blower onto the RMT. Would go most anywhere when the Grandson gets a little older. :tango_face_devil:

The ATV tires on the White snowblower tractor worked out great, traction wise. They go virtually anywhere. They did however initally refuse to climb the grade up and out to the road when they encountered fresh powder on glare ice. Took about 3 tries.

But in all fairness, following up with the snowpusher, the turfs with two link chains also sat there and spun until they chewed enough of the shine away.

However going from 23" to 25" was a move in the wrong direction, at least at my age. That extra inch just made it that much harder for this old man to get his leg up and over.

Kind of like an old arthritic dog still trying to get his leg up high enough to pee on his favorite fire hydrant........:hide:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Lol... Im short so I usually step on one floorboard before throwing the other leg over... kinda like putting one foot in a stirup to mount a horse.

If you added some screw-in studs to the atv tires they would climb the driveway fine;)
I'm the same getting on, that's why I can't have any rear supports for a soft cab.

But getting off, I find the easiest is one foot on the ground and sliding the second foot across the gearshift console. It's that much higher now with the 25" tires. Just old age but that's ok, i'll be a year younger next winter...

Wasn't that big of a problem, just took a run at it. Even the chains on the other tractor had spun going up that same little icy grade.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts