My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I can add one of those to my watch list too. They actually push snow quite well, I have seen some factory test footage for the Hahn LTD500 with snow blade and it was pretty surprising

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Thanks. Hopefully by the time I fall off the 165, he'll be old enough to take over driving it.:tango_face_devil:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Found some time to work on the Little Ford over the weekend.

Pulled the fuel tank off, cleaned and tested it.... surprise, no leaks.:fing32:

The recoil starter wasn't so lucky, parts were missing, removed for some reason.

The electric starter was siezed, freed it up and then tested ok on a battery.:fing02:

Removed the flywheel to check the points.... surprise, no points, electronic ign.

Removed the coil, cleaned it up and gapped it on reinstall. Same with the spark plug and on testing got a strong spark.:D

Checked the valve clearance... .004" to .005" on the intake and .008" on the exhaust. Close enough!

The carb didn't do so well.... complete disaster.... been full of water for many years ! Didn't even try to clean it up.:hide:

The good news is I gave the intake a little squirt of gas, turned the key and it fired right up !
:bannana::bannana::bannana:

RMT 66 engine and bad carb 007.JPG . RMT 66 engine and bad carb 010.JPG

RMT 66 engine and bad carb 014.JPG . RMT 66 engine and bad carb 017.JPG

RMT 66 engine and bad carb 029.JPG . RMT 66 engine and bad carb 011.JPG

RMT carb and pull start recoil wanted 012.JPG . RMT carb and pull start recoil wanted 006.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ouch that poor carb :hide:. Should be able to find a replacement pretty easy tho. You will be cruising around in no time

Hey Mike.....For what ever reason, the tank had a lot of water in it and that water kept trickling down into the carb. Did you see the close up pic of the float? would appear to have had water "inside" as well. Fortunately, it never reached the engine.

It's a gravity fuel system and for the sake of a six or eight dollar plastic petcock in the fuel line, it could have been prevented all together.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ya thats a mess. Lol... thats a BS 8? Float from any 6 to 11 about the same era should work I think, can you salvage the main jet?
Yes, BS 8 vertical. ....I did manage to unscrew the main jet but even the float pin is rotted off in two pieces. Never even attempted to clean it, Hoping a good used one will come along in time.

The good part is, it fired right up and ran. Don't really want it in service till next summer so this is all preliminary work.

There are a few engines and complete tractors with same 8hp out there but hoping for one closer to home to show up.

This one seems a bit rare having both the electric and recoil pull start. Most are either / or. Apparently not self charging and they recommend recharging the battery every 15 hrs or so.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
Hey Mike.....For what ever reason, the tank had a lot of water in it and that water kept trickling down into the carb. Did you see the close up pic of the float? would appear to have had water "inside" as well. Fortunately, it never reached the engine.

It's a gravity fuel system and for the sake of a six or eight dollar plastic petcock in the fuel line, it could have been prevented all together.
That is crazy Larry, amazing what water can do. Very lucky it didn't go in the motor! I am sure any local mower shops would have a carb out back in the parts machine pile, maybe give that a try?

·
Administrator
5,725 Posts
Larry
I just remembered I have a couple of boxes of that stuff. It's marked B&S 10-12 hp on the box. I did have a couple of Bolens and JD rear engine mowers that I scrapped, may have came from them...You are welcome to any or all of it. Don't know how I would get it to you, not planning on coming that way for a while.

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That is crazy Larry, amazing what water can do. Very lucky it didn't go in the motor! I am sure any local mower shops would have a carb out back in the parts machine pile, maybe give that a try?

The new battery was from 2010 and it also had new tie rod ends and a new seat, but I have no idea if it actually ran then or the guy simply quit investing in it at that point. That rust in the carb is certainly long term rust, not something that happened over one or two seasons. Starter was siezed to so been awhile since anybody had tried it.

That carb body has a drain hole so fortunately the inlet and valves behind the breather are still pristine,

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Larry
I just remembered I have a couple of boxes of that stuff. It's marked B&S 10-12 hp on the box. I did have a couple of Bolens and JD rear engine mowers that I scrapped, may have came from them...You are welcome to any or all of it. Don't know how I would get it to you, not planning on coming that way for a while.
Wow Poncho. that's fantastic. The gray one with the air filter housing looks the same. Will have to get mine in front of me and compare to the pic.

I'd make a trip up to say hello when you're home if that's ok. Is there anything LGT I've got that you may need I can bring?

Just had another thought.... any chance you saved any of the rope recoils or ball clutches as well? They are also on my list.

Thanks, Larry

·
Administrator
5,725 Posts
Wow Poncho. that's fantastic. The gray one with the air filter housing looks the same. Will have to get mine in front of me and compare to the pic.

I'd make a trip up to say hello when you're home if that's ok. Is there anything LGT I've got that you may need I can bring?

Just had another thought.... any chance you saved any of the rope recoils or ball clutches as well? They are also on my list.

Thanks, Larry
No...no recoils etc. I may have a starter or two though. Cant really think of any LGT stuff I need....I dont suppose you have a spare starter, nice to have a spare on hand.

Take some measurements on your carb etc and we will compare, save you making a trip for nothing

Attachments

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey Poncho, just saw this second post (no email advisory?) Will have to get back to you on this. Larry.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
No...no recoils etc. I may have a starter or two though. Cant really think of any LGT stuff I need....I dont suppose you have a spare starter, nice to have a spare on hand.

Take some measurements on your carb etc and we will compare, save you making a trip for nothing
Here's what I could get Poncho......

The actual body of the carb is dead straight and 6 5/8" long overall.

Bolt holes in the flange to the engine are 1 11/16" center to center.

That bolt flange is about 15 -20 degrees off parallel with the main body.

Flange inlet opening to engine is oval, 1" x 1 3/16".

Flange for air cleaner is 1 3/8" ID and 2" OD.

Distance between air cleaner bolts is 5 1/2".

We'll see how this compares to your 12hp carbs, thanks, Larry

And unfortunately the only spare working starter I have is on my 12hp which will replace my 16 hp if it gets in trouble. I believe I have 2 dead starters in pieces, probably scrap as magnets are loose.

I do have a spare gear trans (still in chassis) if you need one. Larry

EDIT: just had another look at your pics and they are different. On yours the body curves to the engine flange. On mine there is a 90 degree bend then a 15 to 20 degree offset.

Maybe later model, maybe different all together for the 12hp.

·
Administrator
5,725 Posts
I will have a look at those other carbs, I think they are all the same but maybe not. Will be tomorrow night before I have a look, working tomorrow
Can you post a couple of pics of yours pointing out those angles?

Maybe the parts from these would fit in your carb body?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I will have a look at those other carbs, I think they are all the same but maybe not. Will be tomorrow night before I have a look, working tomorrow
Can you post a couple of pics of yours pointing out those angles?

Maybe the parts from these would fit in your carb body?
Haven't even tried to clean mine Poncho. I think the posts for the float pin are pretty well corroded away.

Here's some pics with a pop can for size comparison.

additional RMT carb pics 002.JPG additional RMT carb pics 003.JPG

additional RMT carb pics 005.JPG additional RMT carb pics 006.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Took a couple more pics......all my 4 carbs I have sitting here seem the same size wise,,,,,
Thanks Poncho..... I don't know what to think as there are obvious differences but one may well bolt up.

Besides the casting differences to achieve the flange angle, the most concerning is the location of the air filter bolt "post" in relation to that engine inlet flange. Yours appears to be one side of the flange and mine the other.

There is no hurry right now, with luck I may find a complete engine. :tango_face_smile:

:thanku:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Got a little bit lucky today..........:fing32::fing32:

Yesterday I was moving things around in the shed getting ready for winter and eyeballed an old '80s Briggs 5hp horizontal that will soon be replaced.

The little Ford RMT came with the recoil starter clutch removed and the plastic recoil wheel for the rope, pretty cracked up. It was on my wanted list.

Took the '80s 5hp horizontal Briggs apart and sure enough all the parts were identical to the '70s Briggs 8hp vertical,

..........all except the flywheel screen that does fit, but is a little smaller diameter.

Boy it was nice when things were universal and interchangeable......... at least for awhile !:00000033:

Presto ! The little Ford now has both functioning rope recoil and 12v electric start again.

Now...... if only it had a carb ! Oh well, got all winter to find one of those.:tango_face_devil:

41 - 60 of 92 Posts