My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this little Ford today for a resto project with my Grandson.:tango_face_smile:

Ever since he turned two and goes outside with me, my Ford tractors are his favorite things.

He spends 5 days a week out in the shop sitting on them, or at the picnic table helping me with mine, then simulating what I did, except on his pedal tractor.

Figured it was about time he had one of his own now that he's hit three.
:fing32::fing32::fing32:

So this will be his first Ford:

. James Ford RMT 66 001.JPG James Ford RMT 66 012.JPG
Just got it home, still on the trailer.

. James Ford RMT 66 006.JPG James Ford RMT 66 004.JPG
Not yet running, but waiting for a good bath.

Reactions: Ken22

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I LIKE IT.... awesome score Larry... once ya get it cleaned up we need a new pic with the new owner ;)

It got power washed but can't do pics with the new owner just yet as my Daughter doesn't want him on social media yet. I suspect he will be a new MTF member though.... soon as he learns to spell.:tango_face_smile:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool......I bet the Tremclad Blue will just about match with that
Funny you say that Poncho as a previous owner went over much of it with a spray can years ago and probably slowed down a lot of the rusting. Body and deck are very solid.

The paint had been touched up, a new seat added and a new battery dated 2010 installed. No idea if it ran then or why it was parked.

Engine not siezed, has compression, gears all seem to work as do the clutch and brake pedals.

Gas tank was empty and crankcase was half oil / half gas, but still slippery.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was scanning google images to find out what that access hole in the console was for.

A tool tray and drink holder as suspected .......or a Lance would say "a dog bone holder".:tango_face_devil:

Gonna have to make one similar.... then watch my tools disappear.:tango_face_surprise

Ford RMT 66 eool tray and drink holder.jpg

Not my pic, nor my machine.....:thanku: to the other owner who posted it.:fing32:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well maybe she will let you post a pic in his halloween costume;)

...I cant spell but Im on MTF.Lol
Now there's a thought...... a caped crusader arriving on a Ford.:fing32:

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would they have had TWO drink holders on a lawn mower? That might be a user addon... but the idea is good, how deep of a tray could you put in there?
Two drink holders 'cause with only a 30" deck..... you're gonna be out there for a long time.

Open right down to the top of the deck. I'm guessing it's for accessing the deck belt / pulley.

Was hoping Mikey would show up with some brochure pics.

Just moved the seat all the way ahead and trying to put a trickle charge thru that battery on the picnic table.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Today that 30" mower deck and all related components came off and got bundled together for storage.

Age 3 is a little young for cutting grass so it will be just a rider for now.

But you never know, years from now my Grandson may even end up cutting "my grass"...... if I live long enough.:ROF

. Ford RMT 66 deck off and chassis repairs 017.JPG Ford RMT 66 deck off and chassis repairs 002.JPG

These little RER's are great to work on, you just stand them up on end,:fing32:

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
sub' in.. since I dated the engine Y not..

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sub' in.. since I dated the engine Y not..
Thanks Whirly, haven't even got to the engine yet, Just making the chassis functional.

The front wheel bushings were worn out so I made new ones out of 3/4" copper water pipe.

Ford RMT 66 deck off and chassis repairs 029.JPG Ford RMT 66 deck off and chassis repairs 026.JPG

And was happy as heck to see a previous owner had installed 4 shiny new tie rod ends.

But the steering wheel is off center when straight ahead so gotta readjust them.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is that a Peerless 3 speed?? Looks like a 600
I don't know them that well Lance, but the owner's manual Mikey sent me says it is a Tecumseh 632. Has a fill and drain plugs and takes SAE 90. Also has a brake disc and caliper,

Yes, 3 speed and reverse.

These pics were taken before being power washed.

James Ford RMT 66 015.JPG James Ford RMT 66 017.JPG

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya thats a Tecumseh Peerless 600 series....tough little tranny for an RER
Shows you how smart I am..... didn't even know Tecumseh and Peerless were related.

Strangely enough though, it has an 8hp Briggs sitting on top of it. Belt drive though, not in any way connected.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
first 4 digits before the serial # will tell you when it was built, last 4 digits is the serial

3 275 1234 = 1973 ... 275 day
Thanks,

Haven't looked for numbers yet but will tomorrow hopefully. With luck there is still lots of gear oil on the inside.

My very first rider was a Craftsman RER and the whole gearbox was about 4"x4"x4" with a chain drive to the axle. This one is definitely well built.

Mikey swears by how tough his Hahn built riders are and the Hahn Rolloway I picked up for his Dad years ago, was a really well built piece of machinery too.

EDIT: Whirly pegged the B&S at 1976, same year as my LGT 165.

190705 0788-04 76021910

1 - 20 of 92 Posts