My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am in the process of building 3 now for a lawyer in my town. It will be cool because i don't have any in Ohio. He wants a figure 8 and then down 2' an oval that is slightly bigger then down 2 more feet another bigger oval. So they will be stacked together. Plus he wants them to drop down with a winch so he doesn't need a ladder to reach them. He has 18+ foot ceilings. I just got another 5,000 feet of tubing made up and the price was what i payed for it 10 years ago so thats a plus...Bob http://www.ceilingtrains.com

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i collect lots of differnt trains ranging from the early 30's to the late 70's. including lionel, hornby, marx and american flyer. the american flyer is "S" scale, (the scale in between HO and O) which is my favourite scale. the lionel, marx and hornby is all O gauge and i have many HO trains, along with too many extras like buildings, bridges and scenery. too much in fact, boxes an boxes. i gotta get rid of some of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been running "g" gage myself, but my late dad ran Lionel and American Fly for years. when dad died a few years ago mom sold them all off as well as the gravely tractor collection.:Disgus:

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
I lobve model trains... And I wish I had the space to put them up permanently.

I was working on a central air unit in West Reading a few years back and the homeowner was a retired employee of the Reading Railoroad. He had a permanent outdoor trainset he ran almost every day. Cars had to be 10" tall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dad owns a good collection of postwar Lionel (O-27, IIRC). He had an awesome layout table in his attic, and I remember all the fun we had re-creating it every Christmas time when I was younger. Mountains, switches, bridges, cars and villages... you name it. Still has most of the train gear, and I actually put together a 50's nostalgia themed tree last year and brought them out - everything worked and looked as good as when he set them up. The electrical is something that would be instantly condemned by modern standards, but I guess folks actually had common sense back then. :biglaugh:
He did sell a set of (painted - ouch!) passenger trains with the Warbonnet. I'd love to restore that!

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
i got some but the engine dont wana move anymore

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I don't own any.... But I've touched just about every Lionel train they've ever made.. Worked in that field for a long time.. Did restoration, repair, sales etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!

I have 3 sets of trains - a Lionel set from 1958 - Santa Fe Express, a Lionel Stem engine set from I believe 1961 and a 1955 Marx steam engine with cars (all metal). Al the sets are 027 guage. Tons of track and accessories to go with the trains.

Right now everything is boxed and stored. But having a 2 year old grandson so it won't be long before the trains are out and set up for him. I figure I'm going to have to get a new transformer or two.

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
Yep, all in a big plastic storage box, haven't had them up for over a decade, my son lost interest in them so they got put away. I do appreciate those who enjoy them and have great displays like that one though!

·
We're all friends here
14,191 Posts
Doug, I'm very impressed. you've done a great job with your layout. I like the built-in cabinets and wall shelves. I also noticed that track high up on the wall. (y)

As a kid, my father had set up a big Lionel layout in our basement. I looked forward to seeing those orange boxes under the Christmas tree. He eventually traded it all in for HO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Doug, I'm very impressed. you've done a great job with your layout. I like the built-in cabinets and wall shelves. I also noticed that track high up on the wall. (y)

As a kid, my father had set up a big Lionel layout in our basement. I looked forward to seeing those orange boxes under the Christmas tree. He eventually traded it all in for HO.
Thanks Al, I appreciate your positive comments. I still have my first (cheapo) Lionel train from 1960, but the newer stuff is more interesting to operate. HO scale can be fun too. Less space, more trains.
DSC02469.JPG

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
Doug, I am totally awed by your setup. You could sell tickets. My 60 plus year old American flyer train is packed up in the original box. I wish I had the space to set it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for your kind comments, Joe. Perhaps you could do a shelf-type layout around a selected room. Then you would be able to unpack your vintage Flyer trains and watch them run.

DSC02496.JPG DSC02497.JPG DSC02285.JPG

·
We're all friends here
14,191 Posts
...and the shelf and brackets are all stained too. Nice!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
My local ShopRite in its old location had the large scale (G?) trains running around the store up high like that. The store is owned and run by the Kinsley family and they had the fronts of buildings as a background to the train, like Kinsley's Blacksmith, Kinsley's Hardware, etc all around the store. They had trestle bridges over the doorways. At their new location, now known as the "World's Largest ShopRite", the train got a long oval loop over the cashiers' heads. All the cute little buildings and bridges are gone, the track is mounted on clear plastic and suspended from the ceiling on wires. Not nearly as interesting.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,271 Posts
I'm not a train guy, my passion is 50's-60's Matchbox, but I gotta tell you Doug....that is one impressive setup you have there! From the floor to the ceiling, wow. My compliments, sir.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts