·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have Lionel trains?

·
Administrator
12,346 Posts
My uncle is a big collector of all things Lionel. He talked me into buying a Lionel set ( Pennsylvania Flyer ) for under our Christmas. My daughter loves it and brings back memories (for me) of playing with my uncles lay out as a boy. I like the set alot too. Still prefer HO for compact layouts but once a year the Lionel is cool. Take care...

·
We're all friends here
14,165 Posts
As a kid I remember the excitement of getting those familiar orange/blue boxes every Christmas, birthday and a few in between. The collection and layout grew to half the basement. Then, one day my father traded all of it for HO, which he eventually traded for N gauge. Now I have some HO and some N. Wish I still had the Lionel just for the value. :smilie_fl

·
Retired AF Lifer!
643 Posts
I still have all of them my brother and I shared, most of it from the early 60s (exploding box car, missile and helicopter cars). All stored away. My first "love" is HO but I did N gauge while stationed in Germany. As a result I have boxes of them and no place to put them up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My Great-Grandfather purchased Lionel Trains from the 1930's-1950's, and they are now in the hands of my father. We used to set them up around Christmas in the 1980's - was always impressed at how solid the old engines are built. The idea now is to keep them in the family and pass them to the oldest boy from each generation.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
I've got a mixture of lionel and marx got them back out out about 2-3 years ago after getting fed up with N guage

·
Small Engine Tech
1,476 Posts
I did Lionel for many years, I still have my dads set from 1949. I myself have moved up to the larger G scale trains. This one is from Hartland Loco works, its made right in LaPorte Indiana. Only overseas item is the electric motor in it. The rest is made there in LaPorte. My other train layout is HO scale Marklin trains from Germany. Cheers Mike

·
Landscaping Nut
1,350 Posts
I have several modern Lionel sets of the Postwar Celebration Series. Enjoy them a bunch in the cold months. Most of them are radio controlled TMCC.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Almost own some. I own a company that makes steel bridges to run the trains around the ceiling. Building 3 now for a lawyer in my town. Some bridges have 1,000 parts and 5,000 welds...Bob
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,520 Posts
VERY cool aametal!!!!

Well I will be some very soon. My stepdad had a LOT of trains he had collected. Most was sold off when he passed, but it seems my Mom had saved some. Well she passed away a few weeks ago, and left the train stuff to me. I know about a layout table, but not sure what else there is.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,250 Posts
aametalmaster,
WOW! I am impressed by the bridges you make. Very cool thing to be making!

I have an American Flyer train set that was bought for me 52 years ago (my first Christmas) It's a lot like the Lionel in size, but only 2 rails on the track. It's in storage at my mom's house and hasn't been set up in maybe 25 years. I should check it out sometime and see if it still works.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts