My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one picture of them so far. I bought some Lionel extra long straight 027 track that is just over 35" long each. Then some 1x4 six foot long boards. I put down two pieces of the long straights on each board and cut one end by about 2 inches. Sunday I almost finished the 72 inch curved sections but did not get pictures of them. I have yet to decide how to wire them up but each section has a Lionel lockon on it. I will add some pictures of my latest building purchase,,, a Lionel grain elevator I wanted since the 80s.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
Very nice, really like that building and the saddle tank steamer and gondolas, very cool!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3rd, 4th & 5th pictures engine is a K-Line Porter engine that I bought new during the few years that Lionel owned the rights to K-Line products. Its a very heavy little engine. I'd love to have about 3 or 4 of them to run together. The wheels are all steel and do not have rubber traction tires on them. I tried to open mine up to alter the wiring but I found I couldn't fully get it open.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should post photos of the curved sections that I finished monday evening. All All I have to do is wire it and make a little box to put the transformer on so it does not sit on the ground. This is something I could run at train shows. I almost forgot I'm going to make some simple latches on each side of one end so the track does not come apart. I think I will use the connector bars they sell separate from U-bolts at Menards and other big box stores.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curved sections done. I cut some pieces off of the wood scraps to place under where the track curve was hanging over the edge. Look at the seam under the clamp.
I bought some more Lionel 35" one piece straight sections. I now have 4 more of them to make 2 more 70" panel sections.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,976 Posts
So what are your plans for them?

I dont know what you are planning on doing to the wood, but I think it would look nice if you pulled the track, and gave the boards a nice quick shot of that stone look spray paint. it will give you a quick and dirty balast look.. without haveing to mess around with real balast.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what are your plans for them?

I dont know what you are planning on doing to the wood, but I think it would look nice if you pulled the track, and gave the boards a nice quick shot of that stone look spray paint. it will give you a quick and dirty balast look.. without haveing to mess around with real balast.
I'll probably leave the wood alone for now. This is a project I have wanted to do for several years. This extended winter is driving me crazy,, I have a cold,,, the yard at my storage is all mud right now so this project fits in well.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assembled the panel track sections on the porch with the intention of making a wiring harness to run to each Lionel lockon. I thought, why not test run a train? The track is new so the electrical contact was strong so I just ended up running my trains for an hour or so. I uploaded 4 videos today. Here is the longest and best one.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,054 Posts
That's the first train I've seen connected to itself at both ends. Just remove the tail car and it should run fine, without derailing.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being 50 cars long it would have been tipping over to the inside if it was also not pushed from behind. Those two engines were working really hard to move that train. The wheels were spinning at startup. I don't know if they still were spinning once the train was up and moving. I might build some wider curve sections out of Gargraves flexible track. Another thing I might do is add weight to the front 30 or so cars but I would have to add at least one more engine to pull the entire train. Those Lionel 9013 cars came from the factory with plastic pins to hold the trucks to the body. Those pins make the cars "very" easy to tip over in curves. Every one of those cars I have replaced the plastic pins with 3/4" long #8 philips head bolt with nylon lock nuts on the bottom.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,054 Posts
I've seen those plastic pins on HO cars. Changing them out is not a bad idea so you can adjust the amount of free tilt the car has, but I'm not sure that will solve your problem. You can add a pusher on the back end, but I still think you should not connect the lead engine to the last car because it puts too much stress on the entire consist. Try it and let us know if it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts