My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a front-mount plow on my GT, with plans of converting it to a bucket, similar to Superior Tech's bucket. What I need to know how much lift capacity does the actuator need to have? How much travel?

Bob

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
6"-8" should be enough travel. As much weight as you can get. 1000 to 1500 lbs capacity should be enough. Don't forget We Want Pictures:thThumbsU

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason that I had asked, Sonny, is that on Superior Tech's website, I had asked what the capacity on their actuator is and their reply was 500lbs. I've been looking at 1000-1500lb units, with both a 6" stroke and an 8". I'm actually leaning toward the 8"; better to have too much than too little.

It will be a while before I post pics. I haven't gotten the plow yet, as it's enroute to my house from Colorado. It's a 42" Bolens plow that I won on ebay for $6.49!
The pics will include adapting it to my M-gt and later on, making a bucket attachment for the plow. Should be pretty straight forward, especially, some of the ones that I have seen.
I'm not looking to move the earth, but, at 62, if I can get a machine to do most of the manual labor and save my energy for worthwhile endeavors, such as riding my bike, then it will have paid off.
Oh, M-gt is Murray Garden Tractor. It's a mid 80's and it is TOUGH AS NAILS! Who'da thunk a Murray was tough as nails? Certainly, not me.

The last pic is a color that I'm thinking of painting it. The whole thing would be that color, with charcoal accents. Sorry, I don't have an expensive photo editing program. Just wanted to see what it might look like.

Bob

·
26,679 Posts
Pitcure of my 8" stroke, but 6 would have been okay.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Like Sonny said, grab a good brand of actuator, I was Lucky on eBay last few week I get a new Thomson 8" travel 1500 lbs push/pull with internal brake for $107.00 + shipping.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which one should I go for, 8" stroke, 1000lbs or 6" stroke, 1500lbs? I'm thinking the 1500lb unit with 6" stroke.

Bob

·
26,679 Posts
6" should do it, just have to measure for your mount locations so you get enough movement out of the bucket.:thThumbsU

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's what I thought. I've never bought or even used these actuators before, that's why the questions.

I just wonder if 1000lb lift would be enough? After all, this one has the 8" stroke. I realize that points of leverage would have a big role in placement and with the weight of the plow, the bucket conversion, 150-200lbs dirt.....

I think what it comes down to, out of these 2, what would be the more important factor, stroke or weight lift?

One more question. When these are activated, do they have to run the full length of their stroke or can they be regulated to stop somewhere in between?

Bob.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Luke, I wasn't sure. I ended up getting a new Warner 1500lb, 6" stroke for $128.

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be using mine on the front plow and bucket. I might even get another....if the price is right.

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
ya when i was building my 68 cub i used a linear actuator on my 3 point and i build a hydraulic system and a plow setup what i should have done was used linear actuators all around and avioded the head aches of my hydraulic system

·
Registered
833 Posts
FYI - here is a link, using a linear actuator to dump a cart.
(scroll down for pic.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nort...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

1 - 17 of 17 Posts