My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of guys here are using Linear Actuators as a lift mechanism, but I am curious as to how they are wired into the system. Did you use relays? What switches did you use? I'm assuming momentary switches.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
29,533 Posts
a double pole double throw momentary switch is what you want. to move the actuator out you provide 12v to say the red wire and ground to the black. to move it back in, you provide 12v to the BLACK and ground to the red.

whether you need a couple relays or not will depend on the current draw of the actuator and the current rating of the switch. a 10A switch can handle a 15-20A actuator, usually the current is not flowing long enough to overheat the switch. BUT if you are going to be constantly adjusting the actuator, such as using for a bucket, you may want to use relays just to keep from over heating the switch.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, DPDT momentary. The major concern was whether to add relays or not. I'll be using the plow & bucket, so I should go with relays. Have you ever used a reversing relay and are they worth the money over the $5 AutoZone relays?

Bob

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I have not used a Reversing Relay. I just use the DPDT Switch to run my Actuator for my SH with a 25 amp inline fuse. I use a winch on the front to raise/lower the plow and use the handle/Switchs that came with the winch.:trink40:
I know member Munderhill used one but I believe only because he had a switch,SPDT that he already had that fit his dash on the Simplicity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts