My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new line trimmer and thought you guys might steer me the right direction. I would like to go with a gas powered unit this time instead of electric. I'm tired of dragging the cord around. I don't need anything overkill since it will be for home use only. Just a good all around one that will last and not break the bank. Sears has a Weed Eater brand that is on sale this weekend for $70 but I thought I'd ask the pros first so I don't end up with a POS. Also what are the pros and cons of a straight shaft vs a curved shaft?

Thanks Ross

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
i bought an echo srm 210 strait shaft last year and its great. The straight shaft is so much better than the curved imo. Much easier. I like my echo alot.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Around here, the Home Depot has an un-published Fathers Day sale on the Echo equipment that they carry. I bought myself a new Echo SRM-210 straight shaft trimmer for $150.00. It never leaks a drop, always starts quick and the head is one of their new easy feed bump units. I dont think you can beat an Echo trimmer especially now that it has a 5 year warranty.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
I have the pre-decessor to the above two posters-- The Echo SRM-2100, and going on about 4 years now, with no problems.....

I love mine--new filters/plug once a year--and good to go!!:bannana:

My brother left me a older Husquarvarna a few weeks ago taht I just got running decent--sbut haven't used it enought to form an opinion--other than it's well made, and a little heavier than my Echo..........

I can't do one of those little curved shaft units because of my height--it makes me bend over and hurts my back.....:duh: :duh:

Cheap is not always better.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've never really officially bought a line trimmer. They somehow just seem to accumulate for free. Right now I'm using a very old IDC straight shaft 31cc model. Gobs of torque, and probably the best design bump-feed head I've ever used. You barely have to tap it to get the line to advance.
Only drawback is that it uses very thin line for a big gasser. 0.065" is the biggest I can put in the spool, and it has to be the round style, not any of the newer triangluar, square, serrated, etc.
I'm probably going to drill the holes in the spool out a little bit so it can take at least 0.080" line, as that's probably the most common size. I just hate to mod this head since it works so well.

As for new ones, Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo all make a nice unit. I'd probably recommend one in that order too.
I can't say that I'd really go for a cheaper brand like Weed Eater, or one of the big box store brands. Those are usually the ones that I end up getting for free when they're relatively new. There usually isn't much wrong with them, but they're not of very good quality either.
I also don't have enough experience with the 4-stroke trimmers to say yay or nay on them, but anything with that much added complexity and new technology is usually bound to have failures. I see lots of "new" factory reconditioned Ryobi (read: junk) 4-stroke trimmers sold for very cheap at Harbor Freight Tools and other closeout stores like Big Lots, etc.

·
4,275 Posts
I would have to recommend the Echo SRM-230 straight-shaft for home use.
I bought mine in 2003 based on recommendations from here.
No problems and starts every time. :fing32:

Attachments

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
I have Shindaiwa and Echo, even though the Shindaiwa is highly regarded by the pro's I recomend the Echo brand straight shaft trimmers. I would buy from a Echo dealer as HD doesn't carry parts or do service if you ever need it. I have been told that the prices are close to the same between the Echo dealers and the HD Echo units, and the dealers will appreciate your business more.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
I know that I am the odd man out here, but don't get me wrong, I love Echo, Stihl, and Husqvarna two stroke products. They are great, but for just a small, basic, inexpensive trimmer just to use on a smallish lot around the house, I really like my WeedEater Featherlite Plus. It's a great little trimmer for actually trimming grass, but not for brush.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I would pass on the $70.00 trimmer.I would go with a straight shaft.I realise you have a small area but cheap trimmers are not cheap.Because they become obsolete for parts and just do not hold up.Spend around $150.00 or even more and get a reliable brand that has service available near by.Stihl is my choice but there are others.If taken care of will be the last one you may have to buy.If you go the $70.00 route you will be doing this again in a few years.Been there done that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the Echo is the majority choice. Looks and sounds like a great machine that will last. I hate to be a cheap azz but I was hoping to find something in the $100 range that is decent. Maybe there isn't? This will be used basically once a week in my yard for light grass trimming along fences and around trees. I know I know you get what you pay for but there has to be something decent in the lower price range that isn't electric.

·
4,275 Posts
I think you should be able to find one for under $100.00.
Maybe a used one. They seem to show up a lot on ebay.
Just find a good one that needs some TLC.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
forget about echo and get the shindawia home pro 22t. much better than echo and same $. the husky 3xx series is top notch for the $ also. i use them daily in my biz as they are ultra light weight and their engines are way better than echo for power and reliability. the shind 22t is too short for me but the best lost cost trimmer avalil

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hi guys, I've had my $60 weedeater for 10 years, never cleaned the carb or changed the plug and it just keeps going.
I've had mine for longer than that. Only thing I ever had to fix was the recoil. The best thing I did was I enlarged the hole on the spool to take the heavier commercial line. Oh, and when I thread the line through the hole, I melt a blob on the end of it so that it won't pull back out in use.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i hate those cheap rattling trimmers. I run shindiawa's also. They are rugged, no fuss, with agricultural reliability. I got a shindiawa 230 off the road the other day. Started first pull. My shindiawa's are both pretty hefty I have a 230 and a t260. I like redmax also. I've run husky 325 and 323, I think they have great power but I prefer the fatter midrange of the shindiawa.

My only complaint about echo's is they can be harder to start, meaning more than 2 pulls and less than 10.

My shindiawa t260 is a 98 model I believe. It shows no signs of age. I bought it used in 2001, not running, after 3 different so called mechanics had tried to fix it. I got it going and have not touched it since. We run it 2 hours a week.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just did all the same research and bought a Stihl FS55 three weeks ago.

Shindaiwa and RedMax were hard to find, got a better deal on the Stihl than the Echo, plus I can use the same fuel mix as my saw, Stihl MS270.

Had a Ryobi, I guess I got my 50 hours out of it!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do not buy a cheap gas trimmer. I returned a cheap ryobi a couple weaks ago and my arm still aches from trying to start that POS. There were several other "cheap" string trimmers in the return basket at HD.

My wife got a B&D electric at an auction a couple months ago but I left it in the corner of the garage because it looked like a ladies power tool. So, i brouhgt home a 13 amp 100 foot cord and tried it out and would much rather mess with that cord then try to keep a flimsy string trimmer running.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a propane tiger torch to use instead of the weed whacker around fences. I'm tired of the string snagging on the fence wire all the time.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts