My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a line on a 1967 Sears Suburban for sale nearby.

The owner forwarded some pics by cell phone.

Is asking $400 but said he would negotiate.

Includes 2 decks...one with the tractor and one for parts.

Owner says it runs fairly well.

Someone has unfortunately painted it in John Deere colors.

Would this be worth $300 if I could get it for that?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
If it runs definitely! The Suburban 10 in my sig pic had a blown motor and a good deck and I paid $350 for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll give it a shot.

It doesn't have any type of hitch and it will be a pain dealing with the paint but these don't come up for sale to often around here.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone tell me what that hood "ornament" might be?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

·
Registered
248 Posts
$300 is an OK price, but there are better deals around if you look long enough. I picked up a ss14 that runs last weekend for $50 from an estate sale. When you do find that sweet deal, you have to be ready to act and not think about it.:fing32: I'd say go for it if it wasn't for that ugly paint. Whats up with people painting their tractors to look like a Deere anyways? You don't see shabby Farmall red garden tractors, or Allis Chalmers orange! lol

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Can anyone tell me what that hood "ornament" might be?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC
UFO, flattened hubcap, air cleaner lid... No idea.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Remember,our Northern buddys have alot more to pick from.I'm like you,in that condition it is kinda rare around here.Looks like a soild buy,if your in the market.I know everybody has his choice when it comes to paint,me--I'd keep the green for JD's not Sears.:trink40:I've always liked the ole pan type seats,so I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have to agree with Dude on this one:) it looks to be in good shape except for the green and yellow paint which i don't mind either. I wouldn't paint mine that color but it looks ok.
Around here that would go for $500 or more IF you could find one:(
So as long as it runs I would jump on it..............

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Ugh, a John Seeres.

If you plan on doing a restoration, have a good look at that paint when you go to check it out. Sandblasting will overcome a lot of previous sins, and you don't necessarily have to go down to bare metal to get a good looking primer base laid down.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I don't think the paint is that bad. Sears sold these in a variety of colors over the years so it's not like they have a strong brand identity tied to the color of the paint.
My '68 is supposed to be blue and white but someone painted it orange and white. Original paint would be nice, but this looks good and I'm not going to go to the effort of trying to strip it off just so it can be "correct".
Price is a tad high for *my* area, but I'm guessing it probably isn't too far off for yours. You definitely wouldn't be getting ripped off, in any case.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Looks and sounds good!

I'm still learning on model year identification, but I know it is older than a '68, which had short running boards, and '69, which had full running boards. The dash design is older than '68, as well.

The model number used to be on the plate in front of the shifter.

If you can get the numbers off of the tag on the carburetor side of the engine blower housing we might be able to date the engine, at least. If it is original that should narrow it down somewhat.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
'67-'68 have the same dashes. and there are few diffrences between them. That has no hood ornament which points to a '67, and the foot rests do not have a lip for your feet to actually rest on. that points to a '67, they started late '67-'68

This is my known original 1968 Suburban 12. know it's original because the paperwork came with it, and I got it off the orig owner
[/IMG].. you can see the diffrences in the 2 tractors

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
should be a 67. I like it, cept the colors :) JD should stay green and yellow

1 - 20 of 29 Posts