My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright bolens geeks (fellow bolens fanatics i mean) Since my tractor movement problems that i have recently fixed i have come to wounder what other 1886 tractors can do for a top speed. Please take your gps unit out and see what your tractor will do in both foward and reverse. (you may need to go into the settings and change to pedestrian or bicycle) I am looking foward to some responses so i can see if my 1886 is on par with all of yours! Thanks!!! al:Tractor2:

forward====4.6 mph
reverse=====7.2 mph

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Going that fast in revere is an accident wating to happen.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Alright bolens geeks (fellow bolens fanatics i mean) Since my tractor movement problems that i have recently fixed i have come to wounder what other 1886 tractors can do for a top speed. Please take your gps unit out and see what your tractor will do in both foward and reverse. (you may need to go into the settings and change to pedestrian or bicycle) I am looking foward to some responses so i can see if my 1886 is on par with all of yours! Thanks!!! al:Tractor2:

forward====4.6 mph
reverse=====7.2 mph
OK something is wrong with this picture. Reverse is faster than forward?? I may have to try the speed thing as I do have a nice hand held mapping gps.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey Al,
Sorry I didn't post in the other thread earlier with my speed. I had some trouble with the 1886 today. Fortunately it is all sorted out now. I just got in from checking the speed and heres what I got; ~8 MPH forward and ~3MPH reverse. The GPS I used may be off a little but not by much. It sounds like the issue still isn't fixed on yours.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going that fast in revere is an accident wating to happen.
to a unseasoned driver i bet it could be a bit hairy, but i've been driving everything from lawn mowers to fast cars and crotch rockets and even my grandfathers airplanes :trink39:

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Big al bolens - Hmm, I don't have a dog in the hunt for the regular content of this exchange....but depending on how old you are, that "even my grandfathers airplanes" speed could be a fast walk of a Wright brothers glider flyer, or as fast as a Lear jet!

·
Registered
829 Posts

forward====4.6 mph
reverse=====7.2 mph
Something is wrong your speeds are backwards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something is wrong your speeds are backwards.
that is my whole complaint on another thread!!!!!!!!! I have not been able to figure out how but the previous owner had done something to it because he wanted the power in reverse so he could backblade with the fel bucket (which does work really good this way, i just want to know what he did so i change back and if i want to

·
5,525 Posts
Just looked in the book the 1886 should go up to 8MPH forward and up to 4 in reverse.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ok just a thought not a eaton 12 expert here.Is there a chance the the po had the pump apart and flipped the cam ring over.Don't know if it would cause the problem but can be done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
same thing I thought. as the Sundstrand is like that too. if pump is rotated 180 and got linkage on both sides it can be done. they made it that way cause some brand/model engines turn backwards from others which could also be problem if engine swap was done.

n2ri/Mitch

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't think flipping the cam ring would do that. If you flip it, you will find that the slippers are off a bit. What I mean is, it is not equal on each end. I do think that you could mess with the amount the cam ring moved in one direction (up) versus the other (down) allowing the slippers to come out more in the reverse direction thus giving more charge. So, if we think about that for a minute, look at the linkage and see what would move the leverage outside of the cam ring housing more in one direction. Could it be the slot on the side that moves when you shift? Could they have reversed that part???? I think that would give the desired result.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Mine ran just as fast reverse as forward. Then I adjusted the linkage properly and the reverse was limited like it should have been.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine ran just as fast reverse as forward. Then I adjusted the linkage properly and the reverse was limited like it should have been.
what linkage did you adjust? I really dont think the po was into taking this hydro apart from what i know of him

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I am almost certain this part was flipped. The problem is you'll have to take the hydro apart to fix it. Not too terribly difficult.
That is what I had said in the other thread. I think that it was either modified or somehow flipped. It would not be easy to flip it though, and it has an angled piece that goes forward to the P-N-D selector. It could have been cut at the angle, flipped, and then re welded though. Al, If you could post some pictures of your linkages, it might be very helpful with sorting this out.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is what I had said in the other thread. I think that it was either modified or somehow flipped. It would not be easy to flip it though, and it has an angled piece that goes forward to the P-N-D selector. It could have been cut at the angle, flipped, and then re welded though. Al, If you could post some pictures of your linkages, it might be very helpful with sorting this out.

Jason
yeah i need to take 20 minutes or so to take the fender/seat back off and take some pics/videos to post thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If you have a photobucket account, you can upload it there. If you want, you can email it to me and I will put it up for you.

Jason

·
Registered
33 Posts
what about engine? if it was swapped with one turning opposite of original it would do this but also would have to use dif PTO attachments as originals wont work anymore.
Mitch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts