My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next time a replacement grease run is needed, don't mess around with the manual pump guns. Get the Lincoln 1162 automatic gun. If you have ever replaced the grease in a new style plow drive or new style 30" mower drive you know how long it takes to fill it back up. Flat out, the 1162 will put a tube of grease in a gearbox in about 60 seconds. It is variable speed which means squeeze the trigger a little, get a little. Squeeze it a lot, you get a lot.

Price is about $75 at Amazon. Pretty amazing price for a all metal gun.

It is now on my list of must have tools. It makes greasing almost fun.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
That one looks air operated.

The in-laws use the Lincoln cordless and have a truck charger adapter.

Have you looked at cordless??

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at cordless??

It is pneumatic.

Yes I looked at a battery operated one and immediately dismissed it. Battery powered is not a good choice for me.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
We use the battery powered gun for the jets at work. The battery life is incredible especially for the amount of zerk fittings on an F-15!

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
We use the battery powered gun for the jets at work. The battery life is incredible especially for the amount of zerk fittings on an F-15!
Love our batteries for greasing under carriages on the equipment and such. You should see how much grease an asphalt planner (mill) takes twice a day if done properly.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If I had to maintain an active fleet of F-15 jets then the battery powered gun would be perfect. Anther useful application for the battery powered model would be lubricating the conveyor belt rollers in a rock quarry. At my first job the company had several miles of conveyor belt running 16 hrs a day.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I can't imagine a more miserable job.
Which is worse, lubing a machine or inspecting/changing out the teeth on the mill? I used to design asphalt pavers, and they are probably just as bad, maybe worse. In the summer, even if you are greasing things in the morning, the machine is still warm to hot from the asphalt running through it the day or night before. On a continuously running machine, greasing it can be quite hot, especially the front conveyor shaft bearings. Even with the remote grease lines, it isn't fun. You're dealing with hot liquid sandpaper running through the machine.

As I recall, to make up for lost time on one job, they ran a paver for about a week straight, no shutdown. Operators would change, and they would fuel and lube it on the road while paving. If I recall, the mechanics would shoot about a cartridge of grease per lube cycle, to help flush contaminants out of the bearings. My memories may be a bit fuzzy on some of the details, but I'll never forget the heat of the machine on a mid-summer day.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Teeth aren't bad if it is just a change. If you hit something and break the tooth off the holder, you are in for a spell. Normally the machine is hot at that point and it's real d%#n hot underneath!

Lubing the paver isn't as bad as running the jack all day. Sitting on top of the screed box in the heat with no shade... that's a long day.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Love my air tools - hate dealing with the hose.
The hose is an issue but not too bad if it is a rubber hose. The vinyl hosts are miserable. Given the price of the battery powered or 12 volt powered guns, I will pull a hose for $125.

As far as air impact wrenches vs electric goes, I will also pull a hose. I had an electric impact gun. I gave it away when I got a real air compressor and air impact. There are a lot of junk air impacts out there. The Ingersoll 231 is a good gun for the money. The Titanium is one kick-*** gun. This is the gun you want for Xmas. The $800 1/2" Industrial gun is the best but it has almost too much torque. I have seen the output shaft break...twice.

Speaking of air tools, there is one air drill that I truly love. It is also the one drill I grab when I need to drill a precise hole. It is a Skil 3/8" air drill that was made some 20-30 years ago. It truly is a variable speed air drill that is extreme low speed capable. I was lucky enough to find a second one for my son on Ebay a year or so ago.

The reason it works so well at low speeds is that there are two tiny coil springs behind each vane in the air motor. This holds the vanes against the cylinder at all times. The lesser air drills rely on centrifugal force to hold the vanes against the cylinder wall.

Ergonomically it is nearly perfect. Balance and comfort is uncanny when equipped with a Jacobs 0-3/8" chuck. Don't judge balance until an air hose is connected.

My advice is if you ever see one, buy it. But be very careful not to lose the vane springs when taking it apart. Skil has no record of ever having made it so parts are non-existent.

The front bearing is a double row ball bearing.

Here are a couple of pictures.

I have not tried the IR 7802 drill. It may also perform as well at low speeds but it certainly does not look as comfortable.

Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts