My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished restoring this 1968 Lil Indian Mini Bike with the two speed automatic transmission. There is still work to be done in the future but due to lack of time, money, and knowledge I'm happy with the results and I finished it the day before I go back to school. The engine is very difficult to start many, many, many pulls and sometimes doesn't stay running.

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pics brought back "mini" memory's of my time as a kid. Had a 5hp B&S and of course "pulled the governor".

Restoration looks good.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
Nice!..it might need a new diaphram in the carb,its under a cover with 3 or 4 screws on the muffler side of it...also if the tank to carb gasket isn't sealing 100% it can affect starting and running..

I had a very similar mini-bike in my youth,but it only had the typical centrifical clutch,no torque converter or multiple speeds...my friend had a mini-bike that had a two speed automatic transmission ,but I cant recall just how it was set up,I remember it had a jackshaft..everyone I tell that it had two "speeds" thinks I'm looney and am confusing it with a torque converter,but I know it definately had two speeds,I rode the darn thing enough!--and it definately "shifted" into second gear with a lurch and you felt the engine rpm's drop and it would top 45 mph wide open..it was nothing like a typical torque converter that just varied the ratios infinately..could you post a close up photo of the drive setup please??....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it is called Fairbanks Morse 2 Speed Jackshaft, I'm still unsure of how it works exactly but does anybody know the best way to grease/oil the chain and clutch.

Thanks for the replies
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I can't help on the clutch but I have been using Bel-Ray chain lube (spray) on my fourwheeler chain and it works great.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Lovely mini bike there - cleaned up purdy / 2 speed added feature, for go power in the top end.
(thanks for sharing story & pics.)

I had a 2 speed CCM bike, in the early 60's and don't see them anymore.
Very simple design, just back peddle an inch coming close to engaging the coaster breaks - and your in the other gear.
Design was simple and robust and way more fun than a single speed.

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

1 - 11 of 11 Posts