My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a 1050 and...of course the very week my 9N acts up and I decide to do some carb work, the 1050 starts acting up too.
Aside from the possibility that it is lonely and acting up to get attention, I think it may have actual physical, not psychological problems.
The 1050 started losing power, almost pulses, in the middle of mowing. I got maybe an hour of mowing done before it did this. I changed the fuel filter...a sucker for easy fix attempts, with no improvement. The next time I mowed it started it within 5 minutes of running.
The fuel filter does not stay full which makes me wonder if there is a problem with the flow in somewhere.
I sadly am not a gearhead and preparing to take apart my 9N carb has taken most of my attention. Are there any easy checks I can make to help determine what my problem is?

-Scott

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi scott and welcome is it possible since both tractors went down you might have purchased bad gas? Wouldn't hurt to try some dry gas.

hummm fuel filters on our tractors have never been full...maybe halfway. Does sound like there's some kind of restriction. I'd start by checking for restrictions in the fuel line...maybe blowing compressed air threw it. also check for a plugged air filter too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the life of me I am not sure why I did not think of bad gas...
I definitely will try that first, maybe with a new gas can and new gas...rather foolish of me since I dare bet my tractor used the same can of gas and *surprise*, it has not been able to get past a rough idle after filling it from empty...

-Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got some dry gas to no avail so I think I will need to check the hoses where I can and the air filter...it normally is filled rather well but when running, it will get to maybe 1/8-1/4 and it does sound like it is having problems getting gas.

-Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small cost fix in the end...

checking hoses, the one up to the filter was plugged. Enough force and out popped a dead bug! I am guessing it got into the nozzle of the gas can and poured into the tank..

-Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts