My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Certified Shadetree Mech.
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a push mower with a B&S Quantum , recoil start only. I know there is an alternator for electric start models, but what I need is one for lights only.

I want to put a light on so as it gets dark I can still mow . Anyone know how I could accomplish this. Appreciate any info.

Chris

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I believe the electric starts do not have a charging coil but you just charge the battery as needed. I have a 675 Quantum in a JD 70. It was a pressure washer engine and I found all the parts to make it electric start but never found a charging coil for it. About once a month I put the battery on a trickle charger over night. Roger

·
5,490 Posts
Unless you are mowing for hours on end I would think a headlight for a bicycle would work nicely. I have seen many on the road that are super bright. Do some research as far as brightness and longevity. Most are designed to mount on the handlebars so they should work nicely on a mower handle. Bill

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger, I found charging coil part # 691991 that fits 9,11, and 12 cu/in engines. That is probably what you need . I need to know if it puts out a/c or d/c. Prices I've seen are between 25 and 70 dollars.

Bill, that's a great idea using a bicycle light. I'd rather find the right charging coil so I don't have to mess with batteries.

Thanks fellas for the responses.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Not only will you need the charging coil, but you will need a new flywheel. Models with charging system have flywheel with magnets on inner side of flywheel. Unless you can find a junk engine, it will be very expensive to add. There are a lot of the new LED lights of different type out there that may work.
Bill

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill, This charging coil,# 691991, studs #691094 , screws # 691648 mount on the outside of flywheel , right above dipstick. The flywheel on it has a row of magnets opposite the ignition armature magnets. I don't know for sure but these magnets must be for the charging coil.

In the IPL's I've seen I don't see a regulator/rectifier or diode on the coil plug, so I'm thinking it is a d/c output , which would work for me. I have recoil start only. I appreciate the response.

Chris

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sorry still probably not what you are looking for but with LED lighting today you can go days and even weeks or months on batteries.

I have a headlight that goes literally on my head for night time work and I have had it for over a year no battery replacements. So you maybe surprised on how long those batteries will last.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wolfy, you and Yard Nazi are definitely on to something. I'm starting to lean toward the battery powered LED lights. Thanks for the links.
Chris

Also I'm into 2 stroke saws and bikes and the more I read about Lawn Boys, the more I want one, or two, or.................... !

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yeah it's crazy how cheap these bright led lights have become.

I'm an engineer And I get stuck in details all the time. I always have to remind myself to ask just because I can do something doesn't mean I should.

I do get several mowers in a year. If I come across one of these "alternator" systems I can pull one off and send it to ya for the cost of shipping.

Yeah you need a Lawnboy for starters!

100x the mower than anything else. But I'm bias:wink:

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

And why again are you mowing so late? I too have done that as well. I have my headlight on my head and 2 battery powered leds and I could see pretty good

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 2 acres that I mow with the rider, or the wife does. But the dog pen is about 1/4 acre that I push mow. After work some nights I have to cut the pen and if it starts getting dark I want to see the dog turds if I missed picking any up. I have 3 dogs and pick up the " land mines " every day. The wife rarely picks any up so it is my job. I got tired of working on the rider with you know what mashed into the tire treads.

So push mowing is easier , plus a little exercise. Just the other night I ran a fresh one over . Now you know the rest of the story.

Chris

I appreciate the offer as well.I'm definitely interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts