My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out why the last 2 inches of lifting the mower deck (or blade, snowblower, etc.) is so difficult.

The first 2 inches are ok, then the last 2 inches you can feel alot of resistance.

This weekend I ran the machine for about 6 hours and during that time raised and lowered the blade and snowblower probably 100 times. The final bit of the lift, especially with the blower, got so difficult (as my arm was getting sore) that I could barely lift it.

Today...my wrist is sore. (insert joke here guys lol)

I'm curious if anyone has found a way to reduce the lift tension?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why the last 2 inches of lifting the mower deck (or blade, snowblower, etc.) is so difficult.

The first 2 inches are ok, then the last 2 inches you can feel alot of resistance.
LOL... You must not have paid attention when I explained it. The last two inches are harder because you are fighting the PTO clutch spring. That is why I added the clutch block-out plate for when I use the snow blade. Of course that would not work with the mower deck or the snow thrower since they need the clutch to work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, i recall that now lol.

Makes me wish I had a Honda RT5000/H5518 with actual hydraulics, including hydraulic steer. But I love this rider. So neat. So small and nimble and the 4wd works great. And so easy to remove the attachments!

Wonder why my 20-year-old cub cadet Zero turn has an electronic pull-up lever for the PTO clutch? I see how Husqvarna wants a simple operation by "lower mower deck and then it turns on" type operation...but why not have an electronic at the end of that lever. Would do the same thing, cost $20 more and reduce effort considerably.

Actually, I met an old guy in town who has a R322T...probably one of the only other guys in town with one and his biggest complaint is he has a hard time pulling up the mower deck.

Wonder if a guy can rig anything in?

And last complaint...If they had a separate electronic PTO button, the handle that raises and lowers the front implement could actually be ADJUSTABLE so a guy could run the blower and blade at different heights. I tried to plow a path to my garden shed with the blower and it was trying to eat the grass as it would sink right low as it could...so I tried to feather the 200lbs attachment with my sore right hand through the snow. Not fun.

I suppose it can't be all perfect or I would have nothing to ride when I'm mowing the gardens in Heaven ;-)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I'm get why the handle is hard to pull up for the last few inches, but I'm not really sure where this clutch spring is.

Does anyone have a diagram or can explain where it is? I tried to follow back where the handle is pulling and I just can't quite figure it out.

It really has me baffled how hard it is to pull back the last few inches, even with the spring tension turned way up. This is a pretty crappy design in that regard.

Has anyone found a way to reduce the pressure of this clutch spring?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Sorry I'm get why the handle is hard to pull up for the last few inches, but I'm not really sure where this clutch spring is.

Does anyone have a diagram or can explain where it is? I tried to follow back where the handle is pulling and I just can't quite figure it out.

It really has me baffled how hard it is to pull back the last few inches, even with the spring tension turned way up. This is a pretty crappy design in that regard.

Has anyone found a way to reduce the pressure of this clutch spring?
Do not modify the clutch spring or else you might have belt slippage. You can see the spring in the following IPL. The linkage rod #25 is what moves the clutch plate where the spring is. I put a block-off plate on the end of that rod where it connects to #23.
I posted pics of it on Google Photos:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts