My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the ways you raise the front end of your garden tractor so that you can change/sharpen blades. Are there any methods that allow you to do this without taking off the deck?

I have a Deere 455 and a Deere x758. I've been told that the front-end mower lifts (the kind that cradle the front tires and lift the mower from that point) are not heavy duty enough to raise the front end. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have a trailer? Couple to truck, drive one wheel of front end of tractor up on ramp.

I run commercial machines and do this every 3 days.

If the machine has a flexy frame or axle this might not work. It works great for my stander mowers.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
I have a one ton chain fall suspended from three overhead 2x6s in a shed. Did my x300 that way a few weeks ago to sharpen the blades. Really had to take the front up quite high to get clearance for the electric impact tool. Got a bit concerned about engine oil, but it seemed to be OK.

·
4,893 Posts
I usually drop the deck and go over it while I have the blades off...grease and oil moving parts...make sure spindles are free and no play

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
^^ When Sears service came out to do something under warranty, they used a similar truck mounted crane. His closed up inside the van though so he could close the van's back doors.

------------

Related question ... other than then type of lift you have available, does it really matter if you lift front, back or either side as far as engine fluids go?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I take the deck off and flip it over.
10 years ago when I didn't mind laying on my back under the tractor with wet rotting grass falling on me, I would throw a sling over a rafter and hoist the front up with a come-along.
https://www.mytractorforum.com/460108-post9.html

I now have an attachment I made for my P-handle dolly that clamps onto the deck to flip it over to work on it at a comfortable height. Some day I should start a thread on it and post a few pics.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
What are the ways you raise the front end of your garden tractor so that you can change/sharpen blades. Are there any methods that allow you to do this without taking off the deck?

I have a Deere 455 and a Deere x758. I've been told that the front-end mower lifts (the kind that cradle the front tires and lift the mower from that point) are not heavy duty enough to raise the front end. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
I use my chin fall at the bottom of the basket ball goal.. the post for that is a 4X4 steel post set in concrete.. in my shop I use a 12 volt converted front end winch (mounted on the ceiling).. it will also move for\aft in a rail.. in my shop i've made "mower" stands.. I can put the whole mower on the stands (with the deck on).. & still get the blades off with an air powered impact..

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have two old utility poles cut down to about 15' in the ground with a 2 1/2" thick pipe attached across the top. I use a come-along to raise my LT almost straight up vertical. Makes cleaning and blade sharpening real easy. As far as fluids like engine oil: Look at your engine and see if there is one side of it that has nothing on it. On my V-Twin Kohler the rearward facing side of the engine has nothing attached to it so nothing is really going on inside the engine at that end. I'm sure it is perfectly OK to let the oil roll to the back if the engine. Been doing it this way for several years.

You might need to beef up your front bumper or attach a chain around the axle or something strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been told that the front-end mower lifts (the kind that cradle the front tires and lift the mower from that point) are not heavy duty enough to raise the front end.
Depends upon the type of lift. I use a Mojack EZ has no problem lifting the front of my X738. For the 670 I drive the front up on ramps and slide under from the front.

·
15,240 Posts

·
15,240 Posts
Darn, I'm subscribed to this thread but I didn't get notifications of replies.:tango_face_plain:

What mower do you lift with that? I think mine may weigh too much.
if u use the "Subscriptions link" (located about mid center under all the mower) it will bring up all that u r subscribed too

how much do u think ur mower weighs.. u can take it to the elevator in ur town & have it weighted..

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm absolutely horrified reading these posts about jacking up tractors, winching, lifting, etc. to sharpen blades. It seriously takes me a minute to remove my deck and safely remove and sharpen the blades. It takes about 2 minutes to put the deck back on.

Moral of the story. Just remove the deck and sharpen the blades in that fashion. Much safer. It's probably the recommendation by the manufacturer anyway.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts