My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking more for opinions than anything else, so here goes.

I have a 1500lbx6" linear actuator and a HF 2000lb winch. I already have the winch mounted on the back to use with the box blade and it works fine, tho, I do have to put at least 70lbs on the box blade for simple grading and sometimes 140lbs so it can dig down some, and the winch still lifts everything with no problem.

Now, I am installing a front mount plow and will be converting that to a bucket, something along the lines of the Johnny Bucket. I was planning on using the 1500lb actuator on the front, but, now, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Because the actuator has has full power in and out, wouldn't it be better to install it on the rear, so it could push down the box blade, instead of putting all of that weight on it to accomplish the same thing and just use the winch on the front? Whether I'm using the plow of the bucket, I'm pretty sure that I won't be needing to dig down. I'm more concerned with just leveling the surface.

Does this make sense to anyone...beside me? Winch on the front; actuator on the rear.

Bob

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
makes sense to me. should work fine

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you intend to use the bucket for levelling, you will need down pressure on it or else it will just float over all the bumps.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, yer sayin', Hugh, that using the actuator on the rear to generate down pressure will eliminate the concrete blocks that I've been using for weight?

arathol, it's not my intent to use the bucket for leveling, just movin' sh.....stuff, dirt, rocks, etc.

My bucket will be like this one:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=45646

Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
Another way to go is use the actuator for both. Unless you plan to use both attachments at the same time, theres no reason why you can't just set up the bucket to use the actuator when you aren't using the boxblade. I have a bracket on the front to attach an actuator for lifting the johnnybucket and one on the back for other stuff like a york rake.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Another way to go is use the actuator for both. Unless you plan to use both attachments at the same time, theres no reason why you can't just set up the bucket to use the actuator when you aren't using the boxblade. I have a bracket on the front to attach an actuator for lifting the johnnybucket and one on the back for other stuff like a york rake.
:ditto:

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never thought of that. My intent was to leave the box blade on for weight, while using the plow/bucket. Something to think about, tho.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Or use the winch on the sleeve hitch and actuator on the front.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or use the winch on the sleeve hitch and actuator on the front.
That was my point for posting this thread. I already have a winch on the rear, but, if I use the actuator on the rear, I should be able to eliminate the 140lbs of concrete blocks to put down pressure on the box blade, right? I don't think that I'll need down pressure on the front, whether it's the plow or bucket, but, I could always make provisions to move the actuator there, if needed.

Bob

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ok, so you want to use a linear actuator to create downforce on your box blade, right?

Where is this downforce weight coming from? I'm thinking you're going to be transferring weight OFF of your rear axle! Once you lift 140 lbs. off your rear axle do you think the tractor will still pull the box blade?

·
22,744 Posts
If you use the actuator for down pressure on the box blade, how do you intend to make the tractor move? That takes a very fine touch on the lift control ........ constantly, unless the ground is dead flat. A 1" dip between the front wheels and the box blade will leave you spinning your tires. Rear mounted implements need to float to follow the ground contour and allow the tractor to do the same.

In most instances, front mounted implements don't need to float. Down pressure will lift the front wheels transferring weight to the rear for traction.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya know, I thought about that after I posted it, but, not in time to delete it. Down pressure on the box blade would take from the traction! DUH! IN theory, it sounded pretty good. LOL Could this be considered a senior moment?

Bob

·
22,744 Posts
Ya know, I thought about that after I posted it, but, not in time to delete it. Down pressure on the box blade would take from the traction! DUH! IN theory, it sounded pretty good. LOL Could this be considered a senior moment?

Bob
Brain phart. I get 'em all the time. The leading cause in this part of the world is frost bite of the brain.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Well any rear mounted implement utilizing downforce would take away from traction weight.Just because the linear actuator I'm installing on my sleeve hitch is capable of producing 1000 lbs of force doesn't mean I'm going to utilize all of that to engage my boxblade.Obviously there has to be some balance, between how much downforce you use and maintaining traction weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts