My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lift will not stay up if the PTO isn't on. Could this be becuase of dirty fluid? But it stays up when the PTO is running. The fluid that is in it looks pretty dark. Or do I need to man up and buy a rebuild kit?:lalala:

as always thanks

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Take the side cover off and look to see if you have fluid leaking from your lift cylinder. Most likely that is why it is leaking down. An easy fix is to use the NAA o-ring and piston to replace the steel ring that was OEM to the 'N' tractor. You do have to remove the top cover, the whole job including honing the cylinder should not take over an hour if you don't take to many breaks and nothing else inside needs attention. That said, if you were to pull the cover it is a GREAT time to do a bit of general cleaning.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
The rings in your lift cylinder are leaking... the cylinder itself is probably scored... and you may very well have broken rings.

To fix it... pull the lift cover (that the seat is bolted to) and check out your cylinder. You may be able to hone out the scratches in it... if they're not too bad... and the general recommendation is to replace the 3 steel ring piston with the NAA piston (which is the same dimensions, but uses a rubber O-ring with a leather backing washer to seal it).

Of course... you may find that the cylinder is scored badly enough to require replacement, once you get in there...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard about using NAA o-rings (better seal) but here is all I can see the NAA has 2 o-rings. One thick blak O-Ring and a leather one

but does the 8N have three steel rings with. Three specific spots for them?

So my question is I would need to buy the piston too...right???

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
NH now has a neoprene backup ring instead of the leather that is said to be much easier and forgiving to get on the piston. I have read where it is recommended that you get the o-ring and backup ring from NH as they are slightly bigger and seal better than the Tisco brand aftermarket.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
There's really no need to put it off... other than summertime is 'typically' the busy time for tractors. Whenever you can afford the downtime to pull it apart and get it done... would probably be best.

If you wait... it will (eventually) get worse, but... it likely took the best part of 60 years to get this bad. If you wait for it to completely fail... you may have a while to wait. On the other hand... I'm not aware of any potential 'damage' to the system by waiting, so...

...oh yeah...
I'd recommend cleaning the sump thoroughly (maybe even dropping the pump out and cleaning it good) while you've got it apart... and replace it with fresh (GL-1, 90wt Mineral) oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So about $30 (piston and o-rings ebay)and 5 gallon of fluid some time and I'm done. I think I'll wait for it to cool down a little bit it's been over 100* everyday. But that's sounds like a pretty easy fix (knock on wood)

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
So about $30 (piston and o-rings ebay)
Sounds about right...

and 5 gallon of fluid
About $40 at Tractor Supply, here...

some time and I'm done.
Watch out for 'mission creep'... :hide:

I think I'll wait for it to cool down a little bit it's been over 100* everyday...
Tell me about it. Temperatures over 100° here. Heat advisory today (until 9:00PM:Stop:)... forecast heat index of 111°

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same trouble with my lift. Looks like I'll have to get the piston & rings. Can you tell me who NH is. Looks like I sould explore buying the rings from them.

Thanks, Double Ott

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Talk about temp, the Weather Bug is reporting 103 right now, glad the AC works here at work.

The job is not a hard one, could be done in one evening but since it is a SLOW leak just wait until cooler weather or until your mowing jobs have ended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts