My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't suppose anyone has an extra lift cylinder rod laying around do they?

Mine has leaked ever since I got the tractor. I figured since I was messing around with the lift for the snowcaster and since I already had the seals puchased that I may as well rebuild it now.

I got it off (that is a lovely job by the way) and it looks like the 3 years the machine sat were not good at all to the cylinder rod. It has some pretty good pitting along the rod. I stuck it in my lathe and polished it up fairly well but there are definitely still some grooves and I have a bad feeling.

I am guessing that I might be off to eBay in the near future.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I have to ask, how does the missus feel about you using her pretty white tablecloth as a place to work on tractor parts? Mine would kill me and render the body unidentifiable.

Used lift cylinders are all over ebay and can be had fairly inexpensively. If you go that route, be sure to ask what model tractor it is off of, or else you could end up with one you can't use. I may be off here, but I do know that 3pt hitches lift cylinders are different throw lengths depending on whether it's for a high wheeler or not. The stock cylinders might be the same for both, you'll have to check the parts diagram to be sure, or wait for someone who knows off the top of their head. I would have to look it up too.

I don't know if the pitting will hinder the operation of the rod, but if you are concerned about it at all, I would recommend just swapping it out with a new/used cylinder assembly, or you can scavenge parts off the used one you buy and keep the original.

I know this might not be much help, but the thread hasn't gotten any other responses, so i just thought I would make the suggestion if you were teetering on the fence about what you can do.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lift cylinder is back in. There is a slight slight amount of oil on the seal when it is retracted all the way. Not enough to worry about. Carry on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts