My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1061 - 1071 of 1071 Posts
4,904 Posts
My water, gas, and electric meters are read electronically from the street. In fact, the electric utility knows from their control center if the power goes off from a storm which is a good thing if we aren't home.

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
This should fix my water meter bee problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
Well all, even as I am retired I am finding it hard to find time to mow the grass. Neighbor cut his yard today and it was driving me nuts as I couldn't start mine as I was waiting on a call from the car dealer that was checking on an issue with my wife's car. They finally called at 4:30 and said they were still investigating the issue. By then it was 95* with a heat index of 105 so no weed whacking. Tomorrow morning I would like to weed whack, but I have to go to the vet with my wife for dog meds and fill the truck up. Depending on what the car dealer finds, I may try to get the trimming done when we get back from the vet, and mow Saturday. Still sorting out how to make mowing easier with the new equipment.
The Poulon weed wacker will be a quick use getting into the corners and what not, still a lot of walking.
The Murray wheel trimmer will do the majority of the edging, but will be covering the same ground as I did with the Poulon weed wacker.
RED will take care under the trees.
And BOH and the tow behind will do the rest. Still figuring out the angles to prevent un-cut strips

Sort of a toss up on is it any faster using more machines, or does the extra maintenance and clean up off set the time mowing. Seems the walking distance will be more as I have to use the little trimmer to get areas the big trimmer can't. Next couple days will tell.

4,904 Posts
Well all, even as I am retired I am finding it hard to find time to mow the grass. Neighbor cut his yard today and it was driving me nuts as I couldn't start mine as I was waiting on a call from the car dealer that was checking on an issue with my wife's car. They finally called at 4:30 and said they were still investigating the issue. By then it was 95* with a heat index of 105 so no weed whacking. Tomorrow morning I would like to weed whack, but I have to go to the vet with my wife for dog meds and fill the truck up. Depending on what the car dealer finds, I may try to get the trimming done when we get back from the vet, and mow Saturday. Still sorting out how to make mowing easier with the new equipment.
The Poulon weed wacker will be a quick use getting into the corners and what not, still a lot of walking.
The Murray wheel trimmer will do the majority of the edging, but will be covering the same ground as I did with the Poulon weed wacker.
RED will take care under the trees.
And BOH and the tow behind will do the rest. Still figuring out the angles to prevent un-cut strips

Sort of a toss up on is it any faster using more machines, or does the extra maintenance and clean up off set the time mowing. Seems the walking distance will be more as I have to use the little trimmer to get areas the big trimmer can't. Next couple days will tell.
I have an idea but you may not like it. Place a back seat on one of your tractors and have your grand son hold the weed trimmer while in the seat. You drive the tractor slowly and he runs the weed trimmer while on the back seat. That way you both are sitting down without walking the distance.

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,066 ·
Yea right! I lost him (grandson) to Mind Craft, etc several years ago. My Son (now 30) and still living here won't touch any of my machines, but has no issues using my tools.

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
I like the second video. Might have to build something like that as an attachment as my feet are sore from all the walking today. Grass didn't get cut again today. Was waiting on a call to come get the car, so we decided to go to town (opposite direction) for some grub. Was just about out of the drive and they called. I told them we would be there in a couple hours. (Good news, Car was previously repaired by some one else, so the was no record of the repair. They gave the car a good cleaning, even underneath, and a clean bill of health, at no charge!) So we get back from town and the house is almost 90 degrees. I checked the inside core and it was a block of ice. Several phone calls later and I have an A/C guy coming out tomorrow. In the mean time they recommended letting it thaw (fan only) and replace the 3M filter with a cheep mesh filter. I can't get it cooler than 78 in there, so it is probably low on Freon.
I did get the edging and trimming done, but the had trouble with the Murray, I started with the weed whacker and only went around the fence so I wouldn't get the Murray tangled up. With that done I took the Murray out, and it was surging slightly and got progressively worse and started puffing blue smoke, I am thinking carb or rings, but got that part done. RED and BOH with the Swisher are all serviced and ready to go in the morning. RED will do under the trees, around the buildings, and the drive. That leaves the wide open spaces for BOH. I did close the off-set by 6" so I'll have a 100" cut and hopefully prevent the stripes.
Oh, and the Swisher wheel bearings and spacers came in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
We run at 76, but have to use fans in the bedroom. Our heat index was around 105 today. The edging wore me out. I am thinking on trying using the riders first, then coming back with the weed whackers for the clean-up.

4,904 Posts
Some yard chores are becoming more and more difficult as we get older. I'm 67 and tired of some yard work. I had five large maple and oak trees taken down in the front yard last year. The stumps were ground up and grass planted. I'm glad those trees are gone. Its not so much the leaves I would have to clean up. I didn't mind that. Its the twigs that fell on the ground. I would fill up a trash can every week with twigs before I could cut the grass. It got to be a PIA back breaker bending over. Now, I'm glad there's no trees out front as a result no Cicadas too. I know I could just pay someone to do the yard chores. I'm basically the only one in the neighborhood that still does it. Everyone has a lawn service. I do a better job than the lawn companies.

1061 - 1071 of 1071 Posts