My Tractor Forum banner

821 - 840 of 894 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,870 Posts
Since the switch over I lost notifications on this thread. Glad to be back .

·
Parts collector
3,870 Posts
You set to get snow down there?

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
Rolling power outs here. Got about 2" of the fluff and it's cold! Working on getting the $25 generator going if the power goes out more than an hour.

·
Parts collector
3,870 Posts
We are supposed to get snow/freezing rain/sleet tonight. I'm ready.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
More Arrrrgggg! here. "0" predicted tonight and power is on 1/2 hour and off more than an hour. Propane and the little generator is getting a work out.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
Hi all! Been off-line (literally) for the last 4 days. Started with the black-outs sometimes lasting 2-1/2 hours off and 20 minuets on. We are still with intermittent power, but not as bad now. Then on day 2 the water quit. Not frozen, just no power to pump it into the tower. I have learned several things the past few days.
  • A 20-gallon garbage can full of snow makes 5 gallons of water (For flushing only).
  • Ice sickles can reach 3’ in length!
  • I hate using the smart phone.
  • It’s still cold!
Things I don’t understand.
  • Why are Stadium lights, and City sky-lines more critical than our homes for power.
Things I believe.
  • Covid-19 and Green Power is playing a major role in Global Cooling.
Supposed to be back in the 70’s next week here.

Attachments

4,235 Posts
Larry, glad to hear your okay. Its amazing the things you have to do to survive.

I don't understand it myself when they say the Artic is melting and it makes the jet stream go lower than usual. Is this a beginning of what's going to happen in the future? I don't know.

When our power went out we used the outdoor grill but we had a generator for the furnace and fridge. We had a gas hot water heater so we could always take a hot shower.

·
Parts collector
3,870 Posts
I have a few friends down there and I feel for you guys. Power outages due to the company you rely on shutting them down on purpose? No water? Really?

Reactions: larrybl

·
Registered
750 Posts
We have relatives living Dennison Texas and they are having rolling power outages also. Hang in Larry spring is coming soon

·
Super Moderator
34,469 Posts
Larry, you learn to get creative when things aren't running normally. Hope you get back to normal quickly though, a lot of Texas wasn't prepared for a long cold spell as they just don't happen often.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
Warming up some, 30 outside and 60 in here. Correction on the ice sickles, over 4'! Took a stroll this morning. Need to run to town later, not sure why as all the store shelves are empty. Will try and get the gas can and a propane tank filled. Power and water has been back on for 24 hours now.

Attachments

4,235 Posts
That's good you got your water back on. But hurry up and load the car up with gas because the gas stations are probably running low and not getting their refills. Same with grocery stores. It maybe a week before they get restocked.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
Doing better here, Still a boil order on. Went to town, no propane, water or bread. Good selection on everything else.

4,235 Posts
Well, you may have to check everyday because once the stores are filled people will buy up everything. Its just one of those things. Things may get back to normal next week. You'll have your shorts on and be cutting the grass.

·
16,676 Posts
Hey--Larry--glad to see you are doing ok--and yes. sometimes you have to get 'inventive' just to survive. Thank goodness you can think for yourself and have some common sense--so many in this modern world today have neither...o_O BTW--seeing that picture of your generator made me pause--my son has one down @ his shop--just like that. He offered it to me (free)-a while back--if he still has it. He bought a 2-yr. old service truck down in Texas back last fall from an oil field company that was shutting down--and that gen. was mounted on it...he doesn't need it because he has a big welder mounted now. Might take him up on it. I think that Predator goes for about $799 @ HF.

glenn

·
16,676 Posts
Hi all! Been off-line (literally) for the last 4 days. Started with the black-outs sometimes lasting 2-1/2 hours off and 20 minuets on. We are still with intermittent power, but not as bad now. Then on day 2 the water quit. Not frozen, just no power to pump it into the tower. I have learned several things the past few days.
  • A 20-gallon garbage can full of snow makes 5 gallons of water (For flushing only).
  • Ice sickles can reach 3’ in length!
  • I hate using the smart phone.
  • It’s still cold!
Things I don’t understand.
  • Why are Stadium lights, and City sky-lines more critical than our homes for power.
Things I believe.
  • Covid-19 and Green Power is playing a major role in Global Cooling.
Supposed to be back in the 70’s next week here.
/////////////////////////

Larry__I would venture those outside lights are all auto timers--and nobody resets them....Just like sprinklers in the rain...

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
Back to shoes, shorts, jacket weather. Made a trash run this morning. was able to pick up several cases of water and other things. Store perishable shelves and freezers are empty. Working on cleaning the cat litter off the steps. The Generator is a Champion 3500 - 4000. I scored it at an estate sale for $25.00. I needed to order about $190 in parts, and the company sent those for free. I got the quote from a girl, and she emailed it to me. Later I was ready to order and called back. Talked with a guy, and told him I already received a quote and would like to order. He said to send the quote to him, and he would take care of it. Never asked for a card number, and I had the parts in a week.

821 - 840 of 894 Posts