My Tractor Forum banner

401 - 420 of 462 Posts

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
Well dang, it's not even that cold up here in PA, but that is way too hot for a shop unless you are painting. :tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Up high it reads 75, down at chair level it's around 68. Supposed to have a hard freeze tonight. Hopefully the only one this winter. Will be back in the 70's this weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Christmas coming early for me. I need to clear some bench space off. Hear there is a welder in shipment also.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
For your needs that thing will be great. I'm am planning on the 20K press when I can afford it. What welder did you buy?

BTW it's been in the low to high 30's around here for the past week. Was 25* on Wednesday and I was working outside. I fired up the wood stove a couple nights and am about to fire it up again for the next 2 days.

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
In shorts again, been in the mid 60's this weekend. No clue on the welder yet, just know one is coming.

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
In shorts again, been in the mid 60's this weekend. No clue on the welder yet, just know one is coming.
What! :tango_face_surprise

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Not in shorts yet this morning, but I am playing in water. Almost 60* outside at 9:00 so I am working on other tins. This piece was pretty banged up. Cleaning it up some and will try and smooth more of the dents out, then sand. If it gets close to 70* I'll go ahead and try and paint it to see how well the color matches.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
It may be this, not sure. Told my Son it needed to be DC. https://www.harborfreight.com/flux-125-welder-63582.html
not a bad little machine for your needs. Keep it on the low setting and set the wire speed between 2 and 3 do a short burst move to another spot away from where you just were and do the same. Once you get it all filled in a grinding wheel till it's almost even but don't over heat it, then a flapwheel to get it smooth once again don't over heat it and you are good to go. :thThumbsU

Larry, your in shorts today. Its 30's here. lol. I guess your outside barbecuing some chicken legs and ribs.
Yeah I'd be in shorts and a tee-shirt at 60* it's 28* here now 10:20AM. I need to get out and clean up the garage then get the 332 in there and do some work on it for the final mowing then install the snowblower on it.

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
Put Hulk II to work today. I needed to move a 10 X 12 metal shed. Had to pull 9 T-posts and remove the built in wood shelves. Tried rolling it on PVC and that was a fail, so I screwed some short boards under it as skids. I was skeptical but Hulk II did good.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,694 Posts
Your tractor dragged that shed pretty easily!..amazing what they can do when set up properly..the video was fun to watch,thanks fpr posting it..

I moved a box truck body out to my backyard in similar fashion three times--first time I jacked up the front end of it and chained the frame rails under the body to my pickup's rear step & tow bumper ,using the safety chain holes and shackles to attach the chain..that put a lot of weight on the back wheels and kept the body from digging in up front,and it was easy to drag to its new location,however the frame rails did make what looked like train tracks --deep ruts in the lawn!..I used the snowplow on the truck to nudge the body into position and square it off..

Second time I had to move it was when I built my garage--this time I moved it in December after the ground had frozen,hooking it up the same way as before--that time it left no marks at all on the lawn ,it was frozen hard enough to let the rails just glide over the lawn..

I decided to move it a third time to where I thought would be a better location,but in hindsight it was not,because now its nearly 100 feet from the end of the driveway and 30+ feet behind the garage--it is impossible to get things in & out of it after we get a foot of snow,till it melts or spring comes..

It was June when I decided to move the body the third time--this time I took a 6 foot hunk of 2-1/2" pipe I had lying around and welded angle iron to it where the frame rails went on the truck body's frame,and got under it after jacking it up and torched bolt holes in the rails so I could bolt the pipe to it ,to make a crude axle...
I used 4 space saver spare tires I got for $15 at a junkyard (new,never used!),and the center holes in the rims were almost perfect size to slide over the pipe,they were about 1/8" bigger than the pipe OD was..a bit sloppy,but no biggie..

I found another hunk of pipe that slid over the 2-1/2" pipe "axle" that just fit in the rims center holes, and I welded it to two of the space saver rims to join them together ,like a dually truck,and just slid them on the pipe axle with some grease and drilled a hole in the end of the axle pipe for a bolt to keep the rims from walking off--it towed like nothing after that and my garden tractor was able to pull it around,and that was a lot easier to manuver than the truck was..the box truck body is 12 x 8 feet and insulated with spray foam and has that fiberglass paneling inside with the lumpy texture,it is pretty heavy,my 2-1/4 ton floor jack couldn't lift one corner of it up,I had to use a sissors jack and a hi-lift manual jack to lift it up..

I wish now I had pushed the truck body up against the back wall of my garage,which has a 9x9 foot overhead door opening framed in,but was never installed,it was just capped over with plywood "for now"--I could cut that plywood out and put the truck body just a few inches inside the garage and frame around it and have an instant 12 x 8 foot "addition" I can access all year round..hindsight is always 20/20...only bummer is the truck body and the 10 x 24 lean too I built off of it are both filled to capacity already.and moving them now would be a major undertaking..

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Thanks, It was fun, and needed. I need the space this shed was in for a new out building that needs electric to replace the blue building. The workers don care where they are kept, and this frees up shop space for welder practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Larry, you’ll have lots of fun playing around with your new welder. Years ago, maybe 25-30, I purchased a used 125 amp miller wire feed gas welder. ?. You melt enough metal together and you begin to think ? you know what you’re doing - - - - -nooooooooootttttt. ?. I could have got a higher amp unit, but chose the one I did get because it was a 220vac powered welder, for selfish ? reasons. Most every friend I have wanted to “borrow” this wonderful device, ? but were so disappointed ? when they found out it was 220v, not a 120vac. The typical response was, I’ll just change the transformer connection’s for 120v and change it back to 220v’s when I’m done. ?. But I had to inform them that the transformer was wired for 220vac only. There were usually some crude words ????? here, as everyone didn’t have a 220v setup in their garage/shop and didn’t know how or want to wire up a outlet plug my little beauty. And I’ve never had to wonder where or who had my welder. ?

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Well this is 115 V unit. My Son thought it was DC, That is what I told him I wanted. I needed to clear an area out, that took almost all weekend, and have been watching videos to see if I have this together correct. Mainly the spool hold down knob and spring. Seems like only 2-3 of the knob threads are on the spindle rod. Looks like the adapter can go either way with different depths. More pictures may be needed to explain. Chuck demos the same exact unit I have here, review starts around 16:00. I did get a chance to try the auto darkening helmet using the sun, It's awesome.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
That's why I have diesel trucks hook then up and drag a house. LOL............

·
Premium Member
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
That's why I have diesel trucks hook then up and drag a house. LOL............
Where is the fun in that? Taxing the limits on a $100.00 little 30YO tractor seems way more fun. And he got the job done with very little wheel spin, and no engine lugging.
PS I only have a 07 Ranger which would have worked. the 88 Craftsman II begged for this job.

·
Parts collector
2,966 Posts
Where is the fun in that? Taxing the limits on a $100.00 little 30YO tractor seems way more fun. And he got the job done with very little wheel spin, and no engine lugging.
PS I only have a 07 Ranger which would have worked. the 88 Craftsman II begged for this job.
Ha ha I don't have time to work slow. Grip it and rip it. Get-R-done. LOL............. :tango_face_devil:

401 - 420 of 462 Posts