My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1887 Posts

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So, the plumber came out today and really simplified my water leak issue. Even though I purchased the filter separately they are covering the plumber cost under warranty. No leaks now, and I can still change the filter when needed. While waiting I started on the tin roof removal on the old deck. I had one of those "what was he thinking" moments when I realized I had riveted all the tin panels together. Taking this down has now become a lot more work. (Yep, I built this 18 years ago)

PS, they also removed the bracket in the circuit breaker box.

Attachments

· Minding my P's & Q's
2,338 Posts
Larry, Did they say what those brackets were for? Sure looked like the breaker could not trip when they were in place,

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The bracket was to prevent the hot water tank from being turned on before it was full. and yes it would prevent tripping and should have been removed by the 1st electrician.

· Minding my P's & Q's
2,338 Posts
So the builders must have put the bracket on to prevent the water tank from being turned on before it was full. That's a dandy idea.
Done with the plumbing, filled the tank, took the bracket off and flipped the breaker on. Then not thinking, put the bracket back on again. Uff Duh!

My wife and I had a vacation place for several years. We would go up in the spring and "open the cabin". Then take an extra day off after Deer season was over to close it up for the winter.
We had a routine and each did our jobs in order. After several years of doing this, one time for some unknown reason, my wife went out to the garage and flipped the breaker for the water heater before I had the water turned back on. I had not signaled, and she had not asked. She had heard the pump running and assumed I had the water back on. Melted both heating elements. They were both bent down at a 90 where they entered the tank. Made for a long day that time. Lucky the hardware store carried both elements. Too bad it was a 25 mile trip one way, and I had to make two trips. Made for a long day to get that fixed and working. But hey, I got to buy a new tool I have never used again. Large socket for unscrewing the element. Still have it, all nice and shinny, in my tool box for working on pumps. And I was able to take a shower before going to bed.

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep, I have one of the heater element sockets too. When changing an element it is also a good idea to replace the anode rod also. Got some help today on the roof disassembly. He didn't stay up there long, and was delegated to screw removal from the rafter board once it was at ground level. There are two panels removed now, so I won't need to climb from the ground up. I still can't figure why I rivited them together, but I found a method that works. He didn't want to get in the pool this weekend, and I was getting tired of cleaning and maintaining it so it is getting drained and after it drys will get taken down and stored. Bet I have some green spots in the yard next week.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Had to scramble today. The pool needed to dry before I could put it away so I left it in the sun while taking my Grandson home to his Mom. Got back and the sky was dark so I quickly dissembled the now dry pool and got it stored just before the skies opened up.

Attachments

· Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,960 Posts
Larry, Better to store the unused pool than to keep pouring expensive chemicals into it. Nice rainbow shot.

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yea, it wasn't being used and I had to keep chlorine in it, and once a week I had to get in it and stir it up and net clean it. It is nice to have a water reserve in case of a fire, but I have over 200' of hose.
Next month I'll be working on the 1978 Roper 20T and 1988 JD 165 Hydro getting them ready for the show.

Attachments

· Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,960 Posts
I didn’t realize that you were that close to Ft. Hood. I spent 5 months there back in the day.

That show looks like fun.

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Back to dry and hot! I slept in unusually late this morning and didn't get moving till after 8:00. Started on the roof removal around 9:00 and gave up at noon. Got too hot to where I couldn't touch the tin. 1/2 way there. Neighbor finally decided to land in the field across the road after buzzing around all morning.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Spots of green in low lying areas, septic leach fields, A/C drain, and I was surprised that the dryer vent made some green. My inside shop A/C vents under the window, can ya tell. Any area with a hint of moisture, but they are few right now. I used round-up around the big A/C. Don't feel like putting long pants on and weed whacking in this heat.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I hope the roof removal was the hardest part. Got started early. Tin is stacked awaiting pickup from a friend that want's it, lumber has been de-nailed, and all the screws removed, and the plywood is all broken down and stuffed into large garbage bags to go to the dump. I raked up around the deck and ran a large bar magnet to find several screws and nails.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I weed wacked yesterday, Today I started around 9:00 and ran out shade at 2:00. went through both drill batteries and had to dig the electric drill out. Neighbor was playing with this. They had to replace the engine for a customer. Too bad the grass is dormant, I bet I could have talked him in to mowing my yard too. Here is a very handy tool for rte dropped screws.

Attachments

6,605 Posts
Larry, I need one of those magnetic picker uppers. I had my roof replaced this spring. The roofer ran one of those around the house but didn't get all the nails up. I got a nail in the tractor tire, a nail in the rear tire of my jeep, and a nail in my tennis shoe.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
They are cheep, and I have been using mine daily. Well after watching several videos on removing old decking screws (keep in mind that I need to minimize the damage to the bottom side) I think I need around 25 of the 12" metal saws all blades to remove these. I went through 2 blades on 2 boards. Once cut, I flip the board over and using a punch remove the screw heads. Works good, but time and blade consuming.

Before you suggest, I did try the following;
Tap a Philips bit into the screw (Most just break off)
Drill and use a bit extractor. See above.
Cutting seems the cleanest way. A trip to HF payday is planned.

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Larry, I need one of those magnetic picker uppers. I had my roof replaced this spring. The roofer ran one of those around the house but didn't get all the nails up. I got a nail in the tractor tire, a nail in the rear tire of my jeep, and a nail in my tennis shoe.
I used mine after the contractors finished installing the house and new deck and came up with about a 1/4 pound of scrap. Still got a flat on my Ranger, but lucky the rear tires needed replaced.

· Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,962 Posts
Why? You seem to have no problem at all finding them.

· Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Picked up a couple Ropers today, not the Tractor kind. It was bound to happen with the new house with all new appliances.... EXCEPT the washer and dryer. The complaints started a couple weeks ago, Takes two spin cycles, and two cycles to dry, bla bla bla. I don't know as I don't use them. So I get a call today saying the dryer isn't getting hot. Well I asked if She was happy with the Roper brand, and She said yes, as those lasted over 12 years. $800.00 for a new set wasn't too bad. And now seeing that all the appliances are new, and more Importantly She is happy. Maybe I can sell the old Ropers on Craig's list.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 1887 Posts