My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
Got some parts for the sewing machine in, and ordered a new tailgate handle and headlight lens for the 07 Ranger.
I just sent my mothers old Kenmore to my brother, looked almost like that one and they are heavier than you'd expect. She had a different custom cabinet for it that had 3 drawers on the right and a double flip out top.

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
Started the day with a plan that got changed. Was going to trim the low branches and pick up rocks that grew in the yard and was in the way with yesterdays mowing. I did not notice the bees around the water meter yesterday but my plans changed to bee removal today. Wife doesn’t want them killed so I tried flooding them out in hope that they would leave. Nope, so I got a long pole and popped the cover off, wow they must have been there for a while. Neighbor stopped by while he was mowing and said they dump water with soap and it kills them. Not an option for me. Last pictures are a couple hours later with the cover off, looks like they are getting ready to swarm hopefully away from me. Oh, and I did kill this critter, you know it’s getting warm in Texas.

Are they African Honey Bees or just good old American Honey Bees?

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
Don, I've put mine out just reaching down and grabbing a six pack of pop! You never know what is going to set it off, just the wrong bend/twist will really do you in. I tripped last week and did a shoulder roll in the back yard while working on my trailer, was sure I wouldn't be doing anything for a while (big old guys don't shoulder roll too well!) but only a little soreness. But I'll be careful with the bedsheets from now on!

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
I have a storage problem. I built this 18 X 24 on a 24 X 24 slab 6 years ago. Insulated, 100 Amp electrical, A/C and Heat. The tractors don't need either, and I want to convert this back to a working shop I need more storage. I plan to pour a 24 X 24 pad butted up against the existing behind this shop, and build an adjacent storage with the same color tin so the property tax assessor will think it is still one out building and get rid on the small tin shed.

Other thoughts?
Good luck with that, most tax assessment operations use flyovers with a technology that detects additions, deletions, and changes in size of buildings to include vertical changes. Using a service call Pictometry our county could spot any of these changes from each flyover so they could make changes to the assessments from it:

Services
Overview:
Pictometry® ChangeFindr™ Reports ChangeFindr identifies and chronicles changes to a property (such as new construction, additions and demolition). The building outlines from the original orthogonal image are compared to more recent imagery. Changes are highlighted and classified as either: New, Changed, Possible Changed, Existing, Demolished or Unknown.

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
You know all that stuff that you are doing? Well you probably think you'll have even more time to do that once you're retired.:) Well I don't know why we all think that is true but I'm here to tell you you will be busier than a one armed paper hanger and it won't be on your own projects. Don't know why but most folks that stay busy before retirement say they don't know how they ever got so much done cause after retirement there aren't enough hours in the day. :(
Hmm, maybe it's because we are working slower.:unsure: At least that's what my wife is always telling me when I start complaining about how long a job is taking me to complete.
But even so, I'm glad to be retired, loved the job but retirement is better. Enjoy yours.
MikeC
Some of us don't have that doing projects for everyone else situation! I think I've only done one or two projects that weren't for me. I've lined enough up so that I have something to do when I want, but I can just stop and relax whenever I want. My family is about an hour away and they don't ask me to do much and I don't volunteer either. Enjoy your retirement and remember it's yours, you can say yes or no to any projects others want to give you! You've earned that right!

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
Still a little chilly here so more shop time this week. After a lot of try and errors I am starting to like how things are progressing. Still a way's to go like building another shed (summer project) but getting this one organized in here is coming along good. Still trying different Go Pro settings.

Larry, looks really nice in there and well organized too.

· Super Moderator
46,910 Posts
Thanks! I am getting close to a point where I need to start another project or start getting cabin fever. Still in a transition into retirement and it looks like the end of March is when I'll be fully transitioned financially. Then I'll visit a couple mower grave yards that I know of.
It is quite an adjustment into full retirement. You have the same "hobby" I do so that helps, just pick up a project tractor to spin or increase the herd. As my one First Sergeant told me, you can never paint the rocks too many times which means find something to keep you busy even if it is repetitive! Find something like a local tractor association to put time into helping, or volunteer at a charity or other worthwhile place. I know our local government always had "Seniors" help with different projects around the county.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts