My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are mine side by side. They are not the prettiest around, but they both run excellent and the variable speed works on both. All the original parts are there. Stickers are worn, but what do you expect for 30+ year old mowers. Handles are both in nice shape. Blue Trailing shield is intact on the Liberty the stars and stripes was replaced with a green on.
1976 8234ex and 1973 8250x

Attachments

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice looking pair :thThumbsU You are getting a lot more rain than we are in S/E WI this summer. My grass has not been cut in a few weeks.

bruce...
Don't look at the grass too close, I have weeds!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nice machines! They are in better shape than my pair. I'll drag mine out in about 2 more weeks, just in time for the holiday.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nice. Those are so cool. I can't wait till I can get either or in my collection

Thanks for the pics. Those are in great condition

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I am saving them to my computer! They look really great for their respective ages. Enjoy them!

·
Retired USAF NCO
13 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I am saving them to my computer! They look really great for their respective ages. Enjoy them!
Perhaps you can upload them to an album and share them with us! We would enjoy that !

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Hello Miller17636
I came onto a 1976- Liberty -Model 8234-EX Early last summer. It was sitting in a Lawn Mower repair shop's back scrap yard, and I Think I gave $25.00 for it.:fing32: It needed it's flywheel Polished as well as it's coil face and the Carburetor cleaned. It was Missing it's air breather so I took a Lawn-Boy Green one and Painted it white for the Liberty. It's rear drive roller's were a bit worn but it still worked all right. I had to replace it's Battery and did not have the 12-Volt Wall charger for it. I had several other Lawn-Boy's so I did not want to use it Nor store it so I sold it off on Evil-Bay for $216.00 and it went to a Guy that collect's Lawn-Boys. Early this spring I located what I had been Looking for which is a commercial Lawn-Boy Model 22241 that I use weekly to Trim with that is a rear drive Three speed Transmission machine. My Son in Law saw my Commercial Lawn-Boy Mower & wanted a nice Lawn-Boy or him self, but Knowing that Commercial machines do not come up often in my area, as it took me abouty Five Years to locate mine I set out to find him a nice self Propelled Lawn-Boy & recently located a super Nice Model 8234-AE . It had Not run in about Five years, and the seller told me that it had a weak engine as it smoked like crazy. I Bought it and a 1963 Model 5231 Brick top at the same time off the same seller. When I got the 8234-AE home I took off the Carburetor and found that it had a crack in it's Plastic Modulator Carburator Float. I removed the float rubber tip Needle and shook all of the Old gas out of it that was traped inside the float from it's seam leaking, I Then used compressed air to blow the rest of it dry inside the float, and Lightly sanded the float seam with some 3-M 100 Grit sand Paper, and Lightly rubbed the seam with some Gum-Out Carburetor cleaner to make sure it was clean and dry. I then applied some Plastic Gas Tank Repair adhesive to the float seam and let it cure. Before finding this Model 8234-AE Lawn-Boy I had Bought This tube of Plastic Gas Tank repair adhesive at Advance Auto and had used some of it on a Murray Rider Gas Tank that was split wide open with a 1/16" Gap On Both end's of it's Fuel Tank and this stuff sealed it back up perfectly, so I knew it worked well. Once it had Fully cured I Put the float back in the carburetor, Placed the engine shroud, filled the gas Tank with fresh gas and cranked it up. It ran like a new one, and the Heavy smoke was caused Evidently by The seam Leaking sinking float so the seller felt it's engine was wore out, where as that was not the case at all it was simply a Carburetor float issue , and with it's gas now mixed at a 50/1 Ratio it Hardly smoked at all. Oddly his machine has the self charging option for it's electric start battery, and a decal on the engine shroud that say's "Self Charging" where as the Liberty did not have that option, you had to have the wall charger to place a charge back into it's battery. The battery Boxes were different between the Liberty's and my son in law's, but Both machines were 8234's. The Liberty's Battery box was Hinged and had a clasp on the rear area of it, where as my Son in Law's Model 8234 has Two screw's up through his battery box from the bottom and has a Six Pack of what Look to be D-cell Ni-Cad Batteries wired in a series, the Liberty had a wet cell 12-Volt Battery. My son in Law's electric start Key switch is up on the Upper handlebar where as the Liberty Key start was on the side of it's Battery Box, Click on the Forth Picture to see it's Key start feature. Here is the Liberty that I had, it was Far Too Nice to use so I am Glad a collector got it that can appreciate it, and I made a few Buck's Off it. :fing32: Regards, Hammerdown

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So -- "Liberty" is the suitcase shroud version, and "Stars/Stripes" was the teardrop?

Were these both sold only in 1976?
Liberty in '76 and stars stripes '73. Not sure why they made one three years before the bicentennial. Stars and stripes is just my name for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts