My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While mowing today on my 1974 openside LGT145, the mower deck suddenly stopped operating. Thinking it was a slipped drive belt again, I drove it into the shop to have a look and reset the belt.

Well, it wasn't either of the drive belts. The problem appears to be electrical. The PTO switch for the electromagnetic mower drive clutch was on, but the drive was not operating. Checking the wire connections to the PTO switch and to the ignition key, I was not able to find any disconnections. Gently jiggling the wire connections did not produce a re-connection, but when I checked the in-line fuse in one of these circuits, I found it blown ouit completely.

I thought I had found the problem and replaced the fuse, but when I started the tractor and flipped the PTO switch, nothing happened.

Because replacing the fuse did not correct the problem, I am now suspecting a fault in the electromagnetic clutch itself.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and is there any advice on how to proceed with the repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,505 Posts
I would suggest first doing more diagnosis before replacing the most expensive part that could possibly have failed.

Test the resistance across the 2 leads to the electric pto, should be somewhere around 2 ohms (they typically take around 6A or so). If it's around there, then probably there is a short somewhere on the wiring harness.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. I found the problem by following the circuit as you suggested. The PTO and mower deck are working again. These older tractors require more and more care as they age, but then, so do we. Seems fair.

Reactions: poncho62

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
Thanks Dave. I found the problem by following the circuit as you suggested. The PTO and mower deck are working again. These older tractors require more and more care as they age, but then, so do we. Seems fair.
You have to remember those wires etc are almost 50 years old. The connections get loose, the switches too and lose contact.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave and Poncho:

Poncho had it right again. The wire leading to the electromagnetic clutch has a plastic-enclosed, in-line spade connector at the left side of the block. Over the years, the wire became brittle where it is enclosed in the plastic shield. From the endless vibration, the wire finally parted where it enters the spade clamp. Hidden inside the plastic shield, the broken wire was easy to miss with just a visual inspection. Pulling the connection apart, I discovered and corrected the problem. Mowing again. Just 1 1/2 acres to go.

So, thanks guys. Problem solved.

Does anyone have a suggestion about a source for a replacement Regulator/Rectifier or a muffler for the open-side LGT145??

Reactions: poncho62
1 - 6 of 6 Posts