My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As stated in a previous thread, my newly found LGT100 has lots of wiring issues. There are wires cut and I can't even figure it out with a diagram.

Below are pics of some of the mess. If anyone could post pics of where the wires go and tell what they do, that would be more than greatly appriciated.

I feel that the reason this tractor doesn't have spark lies within the damaged wiring system.

Thanks for any help!:fing32:

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,919 Posts
That big black wire is either the battery ground or battery main power. Where does the other end go?...Battery ground runs from the neg of battery and bolts to the chassis. Power goes from the pos of battery to one of the connections on the starter solenoid.

Sorry...should have looked at 1st pics.....The big red wire is your power wire.

You are right about no spark.....These engines need power from the battery to get spark.

Those 2 wrapped wires you are holding in your hand go to the rectifier for the charging system, I believe

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That big black wire is either the battery ground or battery main power. Where does the other end go?...Battery ground runs from the neg of battery and bolts to the chassis. Power goes from the pos of battery to one of the connections on the starter solenoid.

Sorry...should have looked at 1st pics.....The big red wire is your power wire.

You are right about no spark.....These engines need power from the battery to get spark.

Those 2 wrapped wires you are holding in your hand go to the rectifier for the charging system, I believe
The other end of that black wire bolts onto the chassis, but is not connected to the battery.

So, maby I don't need a coil, just need to fix some wires.

I must say though, I'm very confused at this point. Why in the world would someone damage the wiring system in such a way??:banghead3 Not sure if there are other components missing or not.

So, is this tractor still worth fixing, with all of these wire issues? (Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am new to these tarctors and am used to my Lawnboy mowers!:fing20:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I allway replace all my wires ... these are over 30 years old ...

Just rip it all out and start fresh...

The kohler manual is a great help...

·
Administrator
5,919 Posts
Under the battery box, there should be your starter solenoid and on the other side, your charging rectifier......

The rectifier is the box with the fins on it.

You are going to have to trace all the wires with a wiring diagram........but here is a pic under my dash

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Timberwolf, here are some pics of my LGT165. The only difference in wiring is the hour meter and light circuits. Hopefully, you can infer from the pics some information to make heads or tails of your bird nested wiring harness. I will post again with any info after looking at your pics in detail.

Most problems with these harnesses stem from bad connections at the ignition switch. Since the plug-in connection is in proximity to the battery and it's corrosive fumes, connections at the switch are usually corroded causing a host of problems.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr247/Mickeymotormount/2010 Blizzard/

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Timberwolf, the first pic of the 2 wires coming from behind the flywheel of the engine are your AC charging wires that come from the alternator and go to the regulator/rectifier.

The picture below that of the extra wire at the battery is not known. Must have been used as an alternate power source but definitely not factory.

The one to the right of the first pic are the alternator wires.

The one below that is the regulator/rectifier + output into the harness. This is the one with the duct tape(orange wire seen in first photo as well). The white wire with the eyelet probably goes to the starter solenoid. That should be coming from the key switch.

The last pic shows the ground wire which should be mounted on the frame near the battery. The end you are holding goes needs a battery terminal end and is connected to the battery.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timberwolf, the first pic of the 2 wires coming from behind the flywheel of the engine are your AC charging wires that come from the alternator and go to the regulator/rectifier.

The picture below that of the extra wire at the battery is not known. Must have been used as an alternate power source but definitely not factory.

The one to the right of the first pic are the alternator wires.

The one below that is the regulator/rectifier + output into the harness. This is the one with the duct tape(orange wire seen in first photo as well). The white wire with the eyelet probably goes to the starter solenoid. That should be coming from the key switch.

The last pic shows the ground wire which should be mounted on the frame near the battery. The end you are holding goes needs a battery terminal end and is connected to the battery.
Thanks for the excellent help! I took a look at a correct wiring diagram and figured out everything you mentioned. Glad that I got it worked out; couldn't have done it without the help of you guys on the Ford section.

I agree, the orange wire off of the battery is not factory. This tractor's wiring was rigged up. With that being said, I'll get the wires fixed.

Also, thanks for the pics. They too really helped!:fing32:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Under the battery box, there should be your starter solenoid and on the other side, your charging rectifier......

The rectifier is the box with the fins on it.

You are going to have to trace all the wires with a wiring diagram........but here is a pic under my dash

Thank you for the wiring help as well! The pics really were of assistance. Pretty much got the wires figured out now, so that's next to be fixed.

Thanks again!:thThumbsU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts