My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a letter I wrote to Deere on a bad experience at a local dealer am I expecting too much or are they below standard? I do realize that this a $1700 economy mower but I expect to be treated decently. The dealer name is blocked just in case I might be off my rocker.

I purchased a LA 115 mower from Rocky at xxxxxxxxx Tractor of xxxx back in May of this year. My reason for purchasing from an actual Deere dealer as opposed to purchasing from the local Lowes was based on the premise that I would receive better service since it was purchased from them even though Lowes was offering 10% off the same price for military discount. This past Sunday I was cleaning the underside of the mower deck and noticed a high percentage of paint missing probably around 30% and rust forming. The mower had a total of 12.3 hours on it so I stopped and contacted xxxxxxxxx Tractor in xxxx and spoke to Mark in service I explained the problem to him and he said to bring it in, he also said that he wasn’t sure about the coating on the deck and said that it may me a special coating that is smooth to prevent the grass from sticking so it could be a while so I brought it in Tuesday afternoon and he said it would be a couple of days until he would be able to get to it which I was fine with as long as it was done correctly. Today, Wednesday Mark called me and told me that the mower was ready to be picked up. I went to the dealership and picked up the mower and he said that there was no paperwork for me to sign and I left and went home with it. Once home I looked at the work that was done and noticed yellow paint all over the spindle cover on the left side of the deck so I then continued to remove the deck of the mower and I was amazed at what I saw, there was no sanding done at all, so I assume that the rust will be back soon. What truly amazed me is that there was still grass on the deck that was just painted over! I then called Mark at xxxxxxxxx Tractor and asked if he had a chance to look at it before it left the shop, and he said no. I explained the situation and he said to bring it in and they would take care of it. Upon my return to xxxxxxxxx Tractor, I walked in to the shop and Mark said for me to go get the deck so I pulled around and showed the deck to Bubba who painted it and Rocky the salesman was there and I showed them what I was unhappy with, the painted spindles, no surface preparation what so ever, no masking tape used or any parts removed prior to painting including the spindle covers and they were not concerned at all so I asked them if this is the kind of pride they would put into a X749 and he said yes. Now if I would have had this kind of poor work on a $13k tractor I probably would have lost it. I then left the dealership and will fix the work myself and do it correctly. My concerns are why was the paint failing so soon on the deck and is this the kind of service that is to be expected from a John Deere dealer. Please contact me for pictures of the deck and other items. I would like to have the left spindle cover and both gauge wheels replaced by Deere. I take a lot of pride in keeping it spotless and now I have my work cut out for me getting it back to how it should be.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
That is pure unadulterated BS from the dealership. Get the manager and show him the pictures or take the deck. No one should have to put up with the sloppy job they did or the attitude they expressed! I'm sure if the manager is decent at all he'll remedy the situation!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
As far as the underside of the deck ALL mower decks will wear off the paint in a few short hours in most cases and thats normal. As far as their behavior and fix for it I would be upset also. slkpk

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
As far as the underside of the deck ALL mower decks will wear off the paint in a few short hours in most cases and thats normal. As far as their behavior and fix for it I would be upset also. slkpk
:ditto:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I would be upset over the job they did, but I never would have taken it back for paint missing or light paint on the bottom side of the deck, because by 50 hours it will be long gone anyway...

That is absolute BS what they did. What they should have done instead was explained how useless paint on the underside of a mower deck is, and that it's considered cosmetic and it's not covered. Kind of like the rims on my 50K Corvette that were "cloudy" but the Regional GM Rep said "They roll don't they? well then, we're not replacing them!"

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know how many dealers would have worked on it at all. As soon as you mow several more hours the paint they put on it and the paint you put on it will be going away also.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
I would only be upset about the paint work on topside.

I dont care about the bottom. If its working the abrasion and nitrogen is going to kill the paint.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Yeah,the paint on inside of mower deck is probably just put on to keep rust off while it sets waiting to be sold,wouldn't concern me a bit that paint was being blasted off,and basicly thats what the dealer should have told you.

I'm no paint expert,but bet theres no kind of paint that would stay on it for very long.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I agree, the paint will often blast off under the deck - especially if there is any sand present. Just depends on your conditions. I don't think the dealer did anything terribly wrong by getting overspray on the underside components.

On the top side, yes, they did a poor job. A little paint thinner on that shield should take care of it. The actual paint job doesn't look too bad other than the overspray.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Why did you x out the dealer, you should help warn others from them. The biggest John Deere dealer in Michigan is also the worst dealer there is. They are Baders and sons, they have 9 dealerships here none of them worth a ****.
They have charged my neighbor for oil changes that they never did. We marked the underside of the oil filter last time. You need to show the dealer so no one else makes the same mistake. Baders&sons is so big they just don't care.

·
Banned
587 Posts
RUSH, I repeat, do not stop and go. Call Mark and request a NEW mower deck. If they do not get you a new one, type up a letter..address to the Better Business Bureau in your town. OH! Make out a form on here, where we all can sign it for the dealer to see.

If you have a gun permit, take the Smith & Weston with you so you can shot holes in the old one....

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW guys I guess I was not off my rocker I do understand the paint coming off now. I forgot to add that they did not even bother taking the deck off the mower!! You ask how do I know?? There is paint on the back tires!!!!!!!!!! also the dealer is Tennessee Tractor in Paris TN. I have sent the letter to Deere but does anyone know how to find the territory rep for the Paris TN area? Im sure that they will not tell me if I ask and they are the only show around so calling the other stores is out of the question.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can see why you're upset. Frankly, I would rather they had done nothing at all-it would be better than having yellow overspray all over the place.

Lousy workmanship, that's for sure. I wouldn't let them change the oil on my tractor.

The others here are right about the paint wearing off quickly, so I'm not sure what the solution is here. I've always assumed that rust under a steel mower deck is a fact of life...and why you try to buy a relatively thick steel deck so that you have much more material to sacrifice over a longer period of time.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BAM!! amazing!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
Yep, think I'd want to send all those pictures to John Deere central!!! That dealership is doing nothing for the reputation of John Deere!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts