My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
This looks like a fun “winter toy”. Since you converted it to hydraulic drive, why did you choose to mount it to the back instead of the loader?
I use the loader still for back pulling, scraping and clearing the end of the drivewayS where the frozen news papers hide .
Dave

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have thought of the custom snowblower scenario many times trying to figure out what would work best. Side-by-side utility vehicles run a hydraulically operated snowblower from an engine attached to the back of the machine, which solves the front end weight issues, but not how slow a snowblower is compared to a plow.

The size of the second stage impeller determines how fast you can move. What I'd like to do is connect three 28" walk-behind snowblower housings for a 7ft clearing width, and with three impellers you'd be able to move forward at a pretty decent rate. I think this option would work on a skid steer using the Vanguard engine to power the blowers.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I’m not sure the machine could power one of those. It’s a low flow machine and doesn’t have an auxiliary hook up.
It’s hard to find a GT blower that can match an Ag tractor with 3ph blower. The impeller is sized for the shaft speed to give needed tip speed.
I would get the Ag blower and drive it hydraulically. It’s true some skid-steers don’t have sufficient aux flow; so put a bigger pump on. You could easily use all that 27hp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have thought of the custom snowblower scenario many times trying to figure out what would work best. Side-by-side utility vehicles run a hydraulically operated snowblower from an engine attached to the back of the machine, which solves the front end weight issues, but not how slow a snowblower is compared to a plow.

The size of the second stage impeller determines how fast you can move. What I'd like to do is connect three 28" walk-behind snowblower housings for a 7ft clearing width, and with three impellers you'd be able to move forward at a pretty decent rate. I think this option would work on a skid steer using the Vanguard engine to power the blowers.
I have noticed on my dads three point blower how much faster you can move along with the larger impeller. It doesn’t seem like it at first, as the impeller only spins at 540 but where I noticed it the most is when you get a really big “mouth full” and you have to pause to let the blower clear it. The larger impeller (22”) machine clears it in a second or two where as my garden tractor blower (16”) takes a few seconds longer.

Not sure if more RPMs/tip velocity would help here or not. Thinking it would just throw farther and require more horsepower

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It’s hard to find a GT blower that can match an Ag tractor with 3ph blower. The impeller is sized for the shaft speed to give needed tip speed.
I would get the Ag blower and drive it hydraulically. It’s true some skid-steers don’t have sufficient aux flow; so put a bigger pump on. You could easily use all that 27hp.
I wouldn’t even know where to begin to source and install a larger pump on the machine. I believe it currently has more than one, 2 or 3, I can’t recall, with the drive hydraulics being different than the bucket hydraulics.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Typically, Skid steers have 4 pumps in a row. First two are left and right drives (closed loop hydrostats), third is loader (gear) and fourth is pilot (small gear). Depending on size, it may not have pilot pump.
Can you take a picture?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts