My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok most of ya know about my 318 I picked up for 200 bucks. Sorry I still can't believe it bought it for that :thThumbsU

Anyway...I stumbled across a youtube video of a John Deere 400 and wow what a mean stance that thing had! Read the specs and they came with a 26x12 in the rear and 18x8.50 on the front. So now I've got this image in my head of my 318 all jacked up and mean looking like that 400 with the big beefs on the back. Considering I will be using it as a mini farm tractor it would be perfect for the work I'm going to be doing and my rugged Kentucky property. I have a slope in my back yard that is so steep I haven't mowed it EVER. I'm thinking with thos 26 rears I can climb straight up it without a blink. I can't do it on my X340 or farmall tractor ( too tall and no brakes).

So after some research that 400 comes in with a 52 inch wheelbase vrs the 318 at 46 inches. I've read some threads of guys putting 26's on the back using a stock rim. For anyone that has done it, do they really fit or did you have to fabricate anything?? I have a feeling with the shorter wheelbase of the 318 those big tires may get into the mower deck??

·
Jerry
1,194 Posts
I think perhaps the SAFE thing to do is to let the air out of the tires you have, drain the fuel and park the 318. That hill you mentioned should be off limits! :hide:
We want to continue to hear FROM you not ABOUT you. :thThumbsU

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
A couple of considerations here. First, what deck size do you have? Unless it's the smallest deck you might have issues with clearance. Secondly, do you have the stock rims? The 26x12x12 will balloon out at the sidewalls unless you go to 10.5" rims. You also may have to raise your fender deck. If you mow with that machine the other consideration is deck leveling. You will throw it off with larger rears. You might compensate with larger fronts. Here's how they look with stock rims ... the 318 is a small-ish machine.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
I too have been wondering how that would look on a 318 have no idea if it will get into the deck or not but for that slope i would defiantly load the tires

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Very nice looking 332 Ron. That's what I want to do on my 110 RF. Ags on the back and V61's on the front.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a similar question, the current rubber on my 318 is 23x10.5-12, My question is can I fit a tire on the rim that's a 25x11-12? Thanks

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
I would look for a 10.5" rim because the tire will make a trapezoid shape with the 8.5" rims, but with the 10.5" rim, the tire sidewall can expand further and sit even higher in the back. I would go with a 16-6.5-8 front tire so you can get a "dragster" look and lean further forward going up a hill for a better center of balance.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What about the mower deck problem solver. :)
The heck with the mower deck lol. I have a X340 to mow with:thThumbsU

Besides the Onan runs so good with 1200+ hours I don't wanna push my luck mowing grass all the time. Ill save it to use with the blade that came with it and towing duty. My X340 would mow circles around it anyway :sidelaugh

As for the steep grade behind the house...it's grown up with black berry briars and everything else. I'd be in stuff over my head. Gives the rabbits somewhere to hide from the hawks and cats anyway

By the way HarryC.....I'm not sure what size the deck is. It does seem very small and narrow. Let me post a pic and see what you think. I couldn't find a cut number on it.

This is when I picked it up before I cleaned and waxed it. The deck barely sticks out past the wheel, has 3 blades, so I'm thinking its the 46 inch deck??

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
That is a 46" deck, it is not as deep as the 50".

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
The 26x12-12 Tru Powers that I have on the back are designed for the stock 8.5" wide wheel and fit nice.

I have the same tires on the back of my 430 with its stock 10.5" wide wheels and the sidewalls are bulged out at the bead to meet the wheel .... doesn't look as nice and also shortens the height some.

The Deck ........ I run a 50" deck with this tire setup. The left front will hit the deck but, with a little tire pressure adjustment to the fronts ( lower pressure ) the hitting is minimal.

The rear tires I run in the wide position. I can't fully lift the deck or the bar treads will hit the rear gauge wheel brackets. This doesn't bother me as I really have no reason to have to lift the deck all the way but, with the tires in the narrow position there is no issue and the deck will raise fully !!

I don't have good shot of the tractors from behind but, here is the best of both the 332 ( on top ) and 430 ( at bottom ).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts