My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Our 5 x 10 Tilt Trailer. We added some steel sides for hauling loose materials like wood, gravel, and bark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
This is our 14 x 8 Flatbed Trailer used for our heavy hauling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
cjet69
ever take the 5x10 down the road with a load on it
an how did it do

john
Yep, and it tows nice. The only thing you have to watch is your tongue weight. Since its a tilt trailer the axle is pretty much centered under the bed so you want to load to the front as much as possible.

·
Administrator
4,562 Posts
I posted about my trailer earlier in this thread, but Photobucket killed my pics.....Here they are again. I built this trailer from a house trailer that was given to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Poncho, I love your trailer, especially since it was free and you rebuilt it to suit your needs. Really liking the whitewall tires! When did you build this?

Mike

·
Administrator
4,562 Posts
Poncho, I love your trailer, especially since it was free and you rebuilt it to suit your needs. Really liking the whitewall tires! When did you build this?

Mike
Built it around 2010.....needs painting again now......Those tires need to be replaced, they are F78-15 Bias ply.......probably 40 years old. Tread is good and hold air, but have a lot of cracks. I only use it locally, but should replace them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Heres two trailers I built ALL from scrap and dumpster stuff. ONLY thing I bought was axles ,wheel, tires, [Got them REEL cheep also]
Green one cost me total of $260.00 and red one was $420.

Wood floor is oak from skids I get free, wood sides from buildings being renovated they give away wood. Just have to look around some to find them.
If you look close can see the different kinds of metal I used, The red trailer I hall 10,000lbs all the time in it no problem.

Oh I included ele. to weld and welding rods, paint etc. too.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
6,929 Posts
Well, here's mine I guess.
Here's the rehab thread I did about a year ago. I was out there working in short sleeves almost every day, and sometimes shorts. Now, a year later, there's like 6" of snow on the ground and it's windy and cold and sleet/rain off and on. And the trailer sits outside in this crap :(

Here's a link to the thread...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/81-trailers/1115065-time-refurb-learn-how-weld.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
I can't get over how good these home made trailers look! Where are you guys finding all of this scrap that's long enough to build a trailer from?

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can't get over how good these home made trailers look! Where are you guys finding all of this scrap that's long enough to build a trailer from?

Mike
Well I look for buildings being renovated they always throw away alot of GOOD material, I got enough insulation free to do my daughters whole house, my garage and crawl space and still sold 200 dollers left over. They had 4 dunpaters full of 6inch x 2foot by 8foot, and was clean too. Then when I was leaving the foreman came ask me if I wanted an ele. heater? Heck why not, I put it in my garage use it once a while was new in box. I looked it up it sold for $1,100, no kidding. I live close to some factory's and get skids from them [free] that steel coils come on, all oak, It,s good for floors on trailers.4x4 and 2x4. When they put in new machines they get rid of alot old steel, Sometimes I get it free other,s they let me buy at scrap price.
Last summer there was a new building being put up and I seen alot of new 20foot steel siding left on ground so I stop by ask about it, They ask me what I wanted it for I said carport. Theres was 18 NEW 20foot sheets they gave me , yep free. Just had to ask.They made some changes on the building so they had extra pieces. And on top of that I check dumpster and found 6 bags of 250 each of those metal screws with rubber washers on them not even open??

If you look close on photos you can see where I pieced together to get the size I needed, heck anyone can build a trailer with going to steel place and buy the sizes they need, nothing hard about that, Try to build a GOOD trailer with all kinds of pieces and haul 10,000lbs safely, that to me is engineering.

And theres Craig list, look around and theres deals on material there also, have to be fast to get good ones. This is how I do it hope it may help you?

·
forkz
5,697 Posts
the deck on mine started out as a big push cart in textile mill used to roll around rubber backed carpet they gave my brother foreman mainteance when they they shut down cut the handle off rest of metal was scrap axle assembly dodge caravan bought the fenders

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Those stories are just awesome!

Not saying that it's "easy" to convert a tent trailer, travel trailer or mobile home frame, but at least you have the base to start from. Coming up with these from pure scrap is a whole other level of creativity!

I got mine the old fashioned way: Bought it new (and undoubtably overpaid).

Mike

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
Here are Trailer and Son of Trailer

Trailer is 3,500 lbs and a few years old. It has a spring assist tailgate that I can raise or lower one handed. LED lighting. 2x6 PT deck. I installed a portable 2,000 lb winch that operates through a snatch block and can be easily removed. I bought the trailer to replace an older 5x8. I needed a bigger one to haul my Gravelys, but use it for all manner of things.

Son of Trailer is brand new. It is a Harbor Freight mini trailer, 42" wide and 48" long. I added a 5/4 PT deck, 1x4 sides, and a removable tailgate. It fills the role of the back of my old Yukon - hauling small (and sometimes dirty) stuff that would be silly on the big trailer. Now that I have a new Buick Enclave I don't want that stuff in the back. I set up the trailer to also be used behind my Gravelys. They all have front and rear 2" balls to make trailer moving easy.

By the way, the big trailer is routine to back up. The small one is almost impossible, even with the rear view camera. It is so short that it is twitchy. I think I am going to add some sort of sockets to allow me to put tall PVC pipes at the back corners so I can at least have a sense of where the trailer is heading.

(Sorry about the rotated image. I have no idea why.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Mikey, those trailers look great!

Really smart to make all connections match. No fumbling with multiple balls or electric adapters.

Only thing missing is a tool box on Junior!

Great idea with the winch. How is it attached to the deck, and how do you feed power to it?

Mike

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
Mikey, those trailers look great!

Really smart to make all connections match. No fumbling with multiple balls or electric adapters.

Only thing missing is a tool box on Junior!

Great idea with the winch. How is it attached to the deck, and how do you feed power to it?

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I even have a 7-pin connector on Son of Trailer. As for a tool box, thought about a kid's lunchbox hooked to the front rail! LOL

We actually found one of these in our shed!

The winch fastens with bolts through the trailer deck. There are T-nuts on the underside. If you look close at the picture, you can see two bolt heads in the deck. They are in an alternate location for the winch to accommodate a different cable angle between the winch and the snatch block.

Power comes from the battery with long wires with alligator clips. Kinda cheesy, but it works. I hauled a dead tractor onto the trailer with nothing sparking or heating.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Why does the winch angle need to be changed?

Mike

41 - 60 of 83 Posts