My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1794 Posts

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This was done by someone a couple weeks ago, he told me he had 28 yrs experiance in pipe welding, This is his 1-GR test. anyone know why i sent him packing! He also told me he's not good at running stringers, well they have the option running stringers or weave.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Tiretrx,that a pretty good looking weld too.

cubman,yeah,if you let them come in just cause they said they was a welder you'll have that,I tested a 60 year old one eyed welder one time and he welded like a one eyed welder,same job,[in south Ga.],guy came in,told foreman he is a welder,[they needed welders bad for this job],so any body that came in and said he was one,they sent them to me.
The welding engineer on this job,came up with the test I had to give,[not any welds on job like it either],thats where a welding engineer can really screw up a job,but anyways,the test was square tubing,about sch 40 thick,in 6g with open root welded by 7018[you don't do that]..

Set him up and he started making holes in bottom,after a polite pause,went over and he had a hole about 1/2 in dia on bottom,told him I didn't think he was going to make it,did he,he said no,but he could get it if it was flat,,

Told him but its not a flat test,and he showed me a cert paper where he had taken a plate test in past to show me he could weld,,,well heres the good part,some body had tested him a year or two before and had failed him,and gave him a cert paper that said failed test on it,,he couldn't read I don't guess,but he'd been carrying that failed test paper with him for a couple years.

I never have gave somebody a failed test paper,just a paper if he passed,so,,guess this inspector was being an ******* or just to green to know,but yeah,,true stories.

·
Administrator
14,850 Posts
Tiretrx,that a pretty good looking weld too.
Thanks, appreciated. And Cubman, to this duffers eyes, your welds kick a$$. Just beautiful.

·
Administrator
14,850 Posts
That thread has been great to follow.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Thats what welds are supposed to look like.

But doing that and welding pipe in postion that will pass eyeball test and x-ray test,is two different worlds.

[maybe that guy could though??},,

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here are some welds tell me whats wrong . The first 3 are done with Lincoln weld-pak 100 flux-core .030 .Last one is my first attempt at MIG with Lincoln 180 w/ 75/25 gas and .025 solid wire.

Attachments

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Here are some welds tell me whats wrong . The first 3 are done with Lincoln weld-pak 100 flux-core .030 .Last one is my first attempt at MIG with Lincoln 180 w/ 75/25 gas and .025 solid wire.
on pic #4, when you come to the end of your weld, let it sit there for a bit (your crater time) to prevent such a crater.

·
Registered
685 Posts
on pic #4, when you come to the end of your weld, let it sit there for a bit (your crater time) to prevent such a crater.
Thanks for looking and commenting cubguy. So that is the only criticism ?

I am asking because I am making a F.E.L for my lt1000 and don't want to screw it up because my welds are sub-standard.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Thanks for looking and commenting cubguy. So that is the only criticism ?

I am asking because I am making a F.E.L for my lt1000 and don't want to screw it up because my welds are sub-standard.

What was the thickness of the steel in the 3 first picture?

OK it's just my opinion but on this weld I would do a second pass (red line) :hide:

Attachments

·
Banned
297 Posts
I didn't say it was easy to do what cubman did in those pictures,it takes alota training to do what those pictures show,just pointing out the facts,they were rolled,and flat is alot easier than welding something all around in postion.

Evo,those flat welds look decent,maybe a tad cold,and don't stop and start on corners,,if you can help it.

As to fillit size,you weld to the thinner piece generally speaking,[if you was welding a 1/8 thin piece to a 1/2 inch piece,you want about a 1/8 or so fillit,no need and it could actually hurt,to put a 1/2 inch fillit on in this situation.

Unless its thin stuff,I never try and do it in one pass,I always at least run two,root,than one over it as a weave,or two stringers,one bottom,one lapping half way on top.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What was the thickness of the steel in the 3 first picture?

OK it's just my opinion but on this weld I would do a second pass (red line) :hide:
It was 3/16 plate and 3/16 angle iron and it was done with highest heat setting on the weld-pak100 . I was given a Lincoln Pro 180 from a friend so I will try again with that setup and repost.

·
Registered
367 Posts
After I weld, I hurry and paint it so the rain will not wash it away!!! Never beautiful welds, but always hold for what I need.

·
Banned
297 Posts
No,evo,the weld size looks perfect,I was just saying I generally always put two on thicker stuff[or more] to get to the size you need,always got to do that on pipe,you put your root in,fill as needed then cap[final cover pass],,but your size[and weld],looks pretty near perfect,so don't mess with that.

Is those all just one pass?

I wouldn't put one where that red line somebody drawed on picture in other words.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
I wouldn't put one where that red line somebody drawed on picture in other words.
The "somebody" is me :rolleyes:

Can you elaborate on this quote from you?

·
Registered
685 Posts
No,evo,the weld size looks perfect,I was just saying I generally always put two on thicker stuff[or more] to get to the size you need,always got to do that on pipe,you put your root in,fill as needed then cap[final cover pass],,but your size[and weld],looks pretty near perfect,so don't mess with that.

Is those all just one pass?

Yes those are one pass .

At what thickness would you have to start using multiple passes ?

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,like I said,I'm always used to using two to three to ever how many passes,always used to running a root than hot pass and fill and cover,

But for fillits it just depends on what your welding with,like said if you welding 3/16 to 3/16 than you need a 3/16th fillit,if your welding 1/8 inch to 3/16,you need a 1/8 inch fillit... Now with flux core you can probably get that in one pass,mig too,,but running a root,than a weave cover or two stringers,lets you concentrate on penatration,than you grind rough high spots,than you run your cover,just makes weld more uniform and neat you might say.

But you don't need to do anything different on that thick material with what your using,on the flux core,now the mig,you might want to run a root, than after dressing up,run a weave cover over..

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After I weld, I hurry and paint it so the rain will not wash it away!!! Never beautiful welds, but always hold for what I need.
Who says they have to look good. I weld like that when i at home. Its only for me to see.

41 - 60 of 1794 Posts