My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1794 Posts

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,the yellow painted one has a hole at start and pretty deep crater at end,[paint does help though.The second picture look like its got a good enough weld to serve the pupose of what ever it is.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Here's a other one.

Lincoln Weld Pak 100HD, 0.35 flux core innershield 71T on .075 regular steel.

·
Banned
297 Posts
The flux core one there,looks like you was just making abig tack weld than makeing another big tack weld right above and so on,

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
And this one

Lincoln Weld Pak 100HD, 0.35 flux core innershield 71T

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
This is a tough one .... Alum arc rod... Its some of the hardest welding to do....

Look like it still have flux on it. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
There was plenty of heat, I was just using the wand like I would a stick welder to get that effect....
It's only going to be used as a front bumper, weight bracket, and plow frame. It'll hold!
Try your cap like that, looks cool when painted.

Rob

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I weld 130/170 ton mining trucks at Caterpillar in Decatur, Illinois.
Every one has a different skill level, keep practicing, it will come to you.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I wouldn't want to try my cap like that,I like weave beads[or what ever combination thingy you got going on there,] if thats what your saying,but I like mine a tad slicker than that. No offense intended,just the facts.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My welder (3yrs. old) had it since new, Miller PipePro, Pipepro Dx single feeder. 0.35 wire, 75%argon 25% Co2 and 90% argon 10% Co2, Bernard gun w/ Centerfire tips.

Root pass (GMAW) 1-GR on 10" sch 80, Level III x-ray (outside)

Root pass (inside) i couldnt get any closer, too much flash! I tried thou.

Cap (SAW) i left alittle flux on, for those of you that have never seen it before.

(Orbital) TIG. a sample piece i made.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,those are good looking welds,you must work in a pipe fab shop?
Everything was rolled ,right?[know the sub arc was],..

What is a level III x-ray?,heard of x-rays,heard of level III x-rayers,,but never a level three x-ray,,,must be a company thing??

How are you at welding pipe in postion?

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Well,those are good looking welds,you must work in a pipe fab shop?
Everything was rolled ,right?[know the sub arc was],..

What is a level III x-ray?,heard of x-rays,heard of level III x-rayers,,but never a level three x-ray,,,must be a company thing??

How are you at welding pipe in postion?
Thanks rrg. I do work in a piping fab plant. Everything was rolled in the pics, for the exception of the (orbital) TIG, We conform to B31.1-B31.3, Level III X-ray is a level III read, film must be read by a level III tech. It's not a company thing, we are required by the code depending on what it's used for, high pressure steam line to jet fuel, cold water return or supply. I have to weld in position 50% of the time. (weld-o-lets, vess-o-lets, TEEs, pipe too big for my positioner) typical...SMAW 6010/7018, and TIG on socket welds, carbon and stls. I'm not bragging, or pulling this out of my ***, but i can't remember the last time i had a repair, it's been a long time. if thats what you wanted to know about how i am at welding in position.

Mike

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There was plenty of heat, I was just using the wand like I would a stick welder to get that effect....
It's only going to be used as a front bumper, weight bracket, and plow frame. It'll hold!
Try your cap like that, looks cool when painted.

Rob
I'm the type of person to over do it, I would bevel the egdes, making a wide V groove, and run 2 or 3 stringers side by side, grinding half into the first and sec passes with a 1/8" grinding wheel, or run one pass uphill. I like to smooth out the welds, but not making it flush to the pc. when it comes to painting, unles it was TIG welded. I know i know to each his own.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I don't think your required by code for a level III to read the film[know that as a matter of fact],more than likly the AI requires that a level III read the film,course,according to code,the AI is boss,but ,,,If you had another AI,he might let A level II do it,,its his disscretion,,, in any case,its not called level III x-ray probably anywheres else but where you work.....

but,,you sure win the contest so far today!!:trink40:

·
Administrator
14,877 Posts
Not a great photo. I have a Miller Synchrowave 250. Self taught...........no certs.

21 - 40 of 1794 Posts