My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1794 Posts

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this trend can work in 2 ways, (1) to show off your talent in welding. in Brazing from (TB) torch brazing to (DB) Dip Brazing, gas welding (OAW) oxy-acetylene welding or arc welding like (SMAW,"Stick") sheilded metal arc welding (FCAW) Flux cored arc welding (GMAW,"MIG") Gas metal arc welding, or (GTAW,"TIG") Gas tungsten arc welding. Or any other processes you may know. But please make it your own!! Not trying to make this a contest. (2) If your learning, Don't be shy by all means!! I train guys and work, and I've seen them all. I'm a Certified welder with certs in SMAW, GMAW, GTAW (orbital TIG) and SAW. Some of us can tell just by looking at the weld, If it's too hot, too cold, not hot enough, or just wanting to learn diffrent weld procedures. Just need to know what kind of welder you have, type of wire (0.30 0.35) for wire feeders, and gas type for MIG, and if it's Flux cored. Rd type for SMAW or just take a pic of your welder set-up, heck it would be neat to see them to. I'll try to post some pics tommorow. Hope this turns out as planned.

IHcubguy

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,I have been a welder/inspector/etc,,for going on 40 years and I don't have time to send you a picture of a weld. You should post a picture of some pipe welds[you welded] welded in 6g,close ups of the bottoms and root,[if they are coupons],overhead plates,etc,than let us examine them for you.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,I have been a welder/inspector/etc,,for going on 40 years and I don't have time to send you a picture of a weld. You should post a picture of some pipe welds[you welded] welded in 6g,close ups of the bottoms and root,[if they are coupons],overhead plates,etc,than let us examine them for you.
I'll have them tomorrow rrg, I don't have the time to weld a pc in a 6-G, I'M not new to welding, i've been certified for over 6 yrs. granted i'm not 60 yrs old but 30. so i can't say ive been doing it for 30-40 yrs. are you a CWI??? I'll have pics of all the weld procedures or most of them i have certs for.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Now not picking on you really,just being contrary I guess.

Anyways,did you all know that being a certified welder means little?

I'll explain,to become certified as a welder,means you have taken a welding test and a company has passed you on that test,test was done to code/specs or something like that.

Now,there are all kinds of tests,any where from a tacker test flat,to a 45 degrees fixed postion pipetest,that is bent,or x-rayed.

There are many different welding processes as the man explained a little above,now you could be certified with mig only,and than only with mig flat on a fillit weld. So,that certification would just be good for flat mig fillit welds,the individual may have never even seen a stick rod or might think you light a tig torch,but he would be certified,a certified welder!

Now not talking about you,ihcubguy,you are probably as slick as they come,just explaining to some who have heard that term,certified welder,and never really thought about what it could mean really.

Also,certification is not good for life,and will be no good,if you havn't been working and proving you still got the skill with the company[companies],that certified you.[eyes get bad,bellies get bigger,and hands sometimes shake more].
I have many old cert papers,keep them for their memories you might say,but they ain't worth nothing now. And couldn't pass most of same tests now if I was given the chance by some company to take them.

Eyes wore out,belly is bigger,hands shake a little more,etc,plus I've been out of the rod burning business for a while,been inspecting for many years,off and on.Thats the way it works with most things that you use your body for,look at poor ole lance earnhardt today,what is he,35 or something? and that tour de france ate him up today,he's over the hill.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:thThumbsUNow that we have the cert.thing out of the way, lets see some welds! We have alot of guys that are taking welding class's and some that are trying to learn on their own and I am sure they would like to have some input from those of us that would know how to help them out! :trink39:

·
Banned
297 Posts
Sure,have spent many years,picking at,feeling,measuring,brushing,grinding,making,testing,rubbing,laughing at,admiring welds,,,,so lets get them pictures rolling in!

·
Banned
297 Posts
Nah,every welders welds looked about alike at one point!
Bet my first wasn't any better looking than yours.That is a funny picture.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don't know if I can find the ,but I've got some of me burning rod in a mark v diving rig.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
That would be cool to see Aaron!:thThumbsU Closest I ever came to welding underwater was in pouring down rain storms!:banghead3

·
Registered
833 Posts
ThkU for the thread - but I guess someone has to start with a picture.
(one of those things, a picture is worth a 1000 words)

I welded up the following coupon, in College, back in the mid 1970's.
Using DC stick welding - 7018 rod // 3/8" mild steel
The double start was manditory, to simulate a repair.

I got an "A" grade after a second coupon was cut in half and acid etched without inclusions.
Feedback much appreciated !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Banned
297 Posts
Your two cover stringers,they should lap each other more,the top bead should be half way down on bottom bead,in other words.

Your root bead looks bigger than your two covers,instead of two cover beads over root you should have run three beads.Bottom,than one on top of it,covering about half,than one on top.
Or,you coulda just run the two,but carried a little more metal.

Plus you try not stop beads in same spot,you stagger the starts and stops if possible

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Anything wrong with this one?

Or this one?

110V Mig using .035" flux core.

:bellyemot Merrie :bellyemot
...................Merrie

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,you never start or stop on corners,that causes cracks.And looks like your joint was a little crooked before you welded it,and maybe you was running a little cold,little ropy looking,need to flaten it and widen cover a little.

I'm starting to have fun.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Anything wrong with this one?

Or this one?

110V Mig using .035" flux core.
I'll say the top one have not enough heat (first pic) (penetration) look like cold weld.

But I could be wrong. :)

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rrg when i say i have certs in welding, im not saying im a pro by any means, but when someone that clams to be welding for so many years, and doesnt have anything to back-up their story means nothing to me. My certs i worked my *** off for, plus adds as proof that i can do the job, so it does not mean very little thank you.
I train guys at work, i lost count on how many guys that came in telling me their life story about how theyve been welding pipe for 30 yrs. or 20 years. our pipe weld tests 6-G (SMAW)..1-GR(GMAW) 1-GR(SAW) and failed horribly. did'nt even make it passed their root pass. Point i'm trying to make is it DOES NOT matter how many yrs that you have been welding, but how well you can do it.

Everyone i will have pics tomorrow, as many as i can! keep the pics coming!!

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Nope not having trouble seeing the puddle the second pic was my 3rd time welding. Rob said he just throwed the top weld on, it's strong... He's lost 20-25% of his vision to glaucoma but is still welding, not for anyone else but for his own use.

Merrie

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Ok what about this one.

Lincoln AC-225-S, rod 6013 3/32 on structural steel .125 at 90 amps (first pic)

Attachments

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
I'll take all the insight as possible!!!! Rob's trying to teach me, but some times he cant see it well!!! I was suppose to try more beads today, but got rained out!!! Tomorrows another day.

Merrie

1 - 20 of 1794 Posts