My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bout a thread showing some of your welds. The good the bad and the ugly. No bashing allowed but constructive criticism is welcome.

I am new to this. So far MIG is going well, stick so so and TIG well............errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Here is my latest venture into stick on some Frankenstein hunks of steel for practice. In the first pic., the bit on the top was MIG when I was shutting off the gas to put the machine away and bleed off the gas.

DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well last week I found some steel for sale, Paid 45 cent/pound. Don't know if that is good but ended up with 237#s worth. Most was 2" x 16' x 3/16ths. Had to make some brackets and mount near the ceiling out of the way.

Also made a couple brackets to fit on the welding carts to better holds cords and be able to store grinders right on the cart where needed rather than putting away every time. Haven't painted yet since it has been so cold and I don't like to spray paint in the garage with the tractors in there.

Also had an electrician replace the service panel in the garage. The old one never had a problem, but was still utilizing fuses.
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
fuses

·
4,801 Posts
That 3rd from last looks like a perfect weld....like Poncho I have welded for a while, but I have a couple of really good welders who work for me ...so I don't have to rely on my skill..because I never got that good at it ....... keep practicing

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@MARK (LI) Thanks, Perhaps it could have had a little more heat, but undercut gets real easy as does more splatter. Having to hold a 3# angle grinder probably doesn't need the ultimate in penetration. As I said before, this is the latest thing that interests me.

Have been considering trying some welding art. My neighbor had some of these and they look cool. Other neighbor has a Hypertherm 30 he is going to sell me.
0212201016.jpg
0212201016a.jpg
0212201016b.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
4,801 Posts
Yeah...it;s like this tractor disease...you never have enough tractors....now you have a MIG a TIG a stick, now a Plasma Cutter...no end in sight....it looks like you got pretty good ...and pretty fast with the welding...hope your attempt at art works out as well....looks like you have some good ideas for projects .....good luck with it...show pictures if you do it

·
Super Moderator
29,526 Posts
Yep, I already started considering a 2nd welder for the garage so I don't have to drag mine around!! My father always said, I lived in a tool-rich environment! Oh, and I got a Dewalt metal cutting circular saw and sawzall today!! It just never ends!!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah...it;s like this tractor disease...you never have enough tractors....now you have a MIG a TIG a stick, now a Plasma Cutter...no end in sight....it looks like you got pretty good ...and pretty fast with the welding...hope your attempt at art works out as well....looks like you have some good ideas for projects .....good luck with it...show pictures if you do it

Yeah it certainly is. I have no artistic talent or vision, but with the computer, you really don't need to. There are virtually unlimited #s of ideas you can come up with in minutes.

·
Registered
673 Posts
here's a few pictures of my welds when building a toolbar for my garden tractor. I used my stick welder with 1/8" 7014 and 1/8" alloy 1000 electrodes, DCEP.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welds look good, If anything could maybe use a hair more heat.

I am not understanding what this toolbar does?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welds look good, If anything could maybe use a hair more heat.

I am not understanding what this toolbar does?
Thanks! I agree on the heat. The material is 3/16th thickness with mostly 1-3 inch long welds. I find it difficult to manage the heat properly with those short runs, but i keep trying :)

The toolbar hooks up to te back of the tractor using a sleeve hitch. In the photo I have ripper shanks attached but other tools could be attached as well.

I wish my welding came out that good...nice work! What machine?
Thanks! My garden tractor is a 1968 Allis Chalmers B-110 as shown in my avatar.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Short welds on small pieces for me are tough with the stick. Especially tacking something first.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sell firewood and use some metal racks to dispense small amounts to the campfire crowd. I have 3 that I am selling. 1 was 1/2" rebar and the other I made out of a shipping container a log splitter came in. So I am making new racks that are all exactly the same size out of 5/8ths rebar. These are quite robust and weld pretty decent when a flat is made and wire wheeled of course.

DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

Reactions: Dee_Veloper

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well today I had to fab a bracket to hold the sprayer control box that actuates the 6' tower sprayer in the orchard. Also had to wire in a 12 power source that is fused and only hot when the ignition is on. This also needed a weather proof quick connect. and a dolly to move the sprayer around because it weighs 400#s. (cheated on this and bought 2 $13 wood dollies and screwed a piece of plywood on top to tie together.
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics.

DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG