My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Guess What Happened Game:

Cutting the lawn and everything is normal. Suddenly the RPM's begin to rise (I'm already at WOT) and when I cut the throttle to idle the RPM 's continue to rise. I throttle down using the choke and come to a rest under a tree (because I know I'm gonna have to fix this).

Guess what happened.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
Booooom!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
The weight fell off the governer inside the engine.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good guesses, but no. Start thinking abstractly.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The carburetor broke in half?

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
u hit the switch that switched the gas tank over to the MOONSHINE tank

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Runaway propeller.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was able to draw air somewhere head gasket?? Intake gasket ??? Although the moonshine theory sounds good to me ... Only thing is my shine tank is always empty;(

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The turbo's wastegate stuck closed causing a horrific engine explosion!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A mouse got sucked into the AF causing a lean mix?:sidelaugh

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ran out of gas

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too suspected that the problem was the governor. So I removed the air cleaner and began cleaning the linkage with carb spray. Sure enough, the linkage movement was restricted. After playing with it for a few minutes I realized that the linkage movement was restricted on the carb side. Not what I suspected.

So I decided to remove the carb. I removed the two bolts to remove the air cleaner plate. Wait...two bolts....there's supposed to be three bolts. Where did the third bolt go?

I took a look inside the carb but didn't see it...at first. Then I moved the linkage arm while looking at the throttle plate and that's where I found the missing bolt...under the throttle plate. It was wedged in there pretty good. I got it out with a magnetic screw chaser.

I'm glad (lucky) that it didn't find it's way past the manifold and into a intake valve.

Thanks for playing. Hopefully we wont have to play this game for a long time.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Perhaps a twig jammed the throttle?????

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That could have been nasty. Mangled valve, maybe a hole in a piston, scarring, ouch. Good thing you caught it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts