My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here is the story

sunday my neighbors cleaning lady came over to see if her hubby could use my snapper yt to cut a lawn for a church ...... i was like umm ahhh eeee errrr welllll ummmmm i guess ....... walked away and said DANG IT J YOU NEVER LET ANYONE TOUCH YOUR SNAPPER, but my word is gold, i said yes so her hubby came picked it up

well when he droped it off it was clean, full of gas, and he even fixed a broke part :thThumbsU WOW, i did not expect that at all, it seems most people could care less about other people stuff, boy did i smile

now will i let them use it again, yes maybe once, but im not a charity, if its a once in awhile like their mower broke then yea, anyone else .......... im still going to say NO, but i will extend this offer, give me the gas to cut or whatever it is you need it for, then fill it up when im done..... and maybe a few beers :trink40: and ill just come over do it for you

whats yall thoughts on letting people use your "babys"

·
Registered
451 Posts
The short answer is "NO!"

I let my neighbor use my push mower 4 years ago. I told her to bring it back by the end of the day but by nightfall, no mower. I walked over, took it back and put it away in the locked shed. I went to use it the next day and it wouldn't start. I put gas in it and when it started up it sounded like it was mowing a rock garden! I dissconnected the plug wire and peered underneath- the blade was bent like crazy. She must have bent the shaft too because it wobbled like crazy and ran poorly no matter what i did to it. I replaced it with a new one with a Honda engine and NOBODY will ever use it. My tractor is just a simple Craftsman but its MINE and I take care of things. Some people do not respect another persons' tools.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You want to be a buddy and say yes but unless you know them really well and can trust they wont do something crazy....best to say NO.

When something is rented there is a contract and understanding if the machine breaks you are on the hook , When something is barrowed not so much.

If your running it and anything happens no one to blame but yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I would rather not mainly because of how my neighbors treat all of their stuff. But, with that said, I would cut my lawn with scissors before I asked to borrow another mans machine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nope to the tractor. Yes to anything else including the shirt on my back.

·
Administrator
5,676 Posts
well here is the story

sunday my neighbors cleaning lady came over to see if her hubby could use my snapper yt to cut a lawn for a church ...... i was like umm ahhh eeee errrr welllll ummmmm i guess ....... walked away and said DANG IT J YOU NEVER LET ANYONE TOUCH YOUR SNAPPER, but my word is gold, i said yes so her hubby came picked it up

well when he droped it off it was clean, full of gas, and he even fixed a broke part :thThumbsU WOW, i did not expect that at all, it seems most people could care less about other people stuff, boy did i smile

now will i let them use it again, yes maybe once, but im not a charity, if its a once in awhile like their mower broke then yea, anyone else .......... im still going to say NO, but i will extend this offer, give me the gas to cut or whatever it is you need it for, then fill it up when im done..... and maybe a few beers :trink40: and ill just come over do it for you

whats yall thoughts on letting people use your "babys"
Seems you lucked out.......a question though.......Its a Sunday and a church going guy wants to cut the church's grass?....Dont they have a rule about such things?.......:Stop:

Personally, I wont lend my stuff.....I will go over and use my stuff on their lawn.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Not if I don't know them real well and I keep the wife as collateral!!! :ROF
well heck! i'd never give your tractor back then!:trink40:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i dont let people use mine unless i offer. otherwise, ill do the work myself

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't let anyone on my machines. I don't mind helping someone but i run my machines

·
Registered
632 Posts
By the time I get done explaining how to operate the mower (with all its half throttle here, twist the ignition only as far as the 3 o'clock position, jam the hydro lever hard left to ignite the neutral light, don't trust the brakes, the mower deck is always on unless you disconnect the belt like this, keep a fire extinguisher handy, etc...) they tend to go elsewhere for help.

sadly have of that is true;)

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Hmmmmm let me ponder this for a bit....

Ok done pondering... Uhhhh NOPE!

You want your grass mowed, buy a mower... If your mower is broke.. Hire a neighborhood kid to do it till yours is fixed, cuz ya ain't using mine!

This ain't the 50's where people took care of your stuff when they borrowed it.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
No, but if theirs broke down and they asked me for help looking at it I would take my tractor or push mower and mow their lawn if they needed me to and I could not fix theirs right away.

I would give the shirt off my back, but you can't barrow my tractor at any time or for any reason. I will be glad to help, but I'm the only one to operate my machines.

edit in:

My machines are too dangerous for any else to use, there are no safeties left, some of the guards have rusted away or have been gone since I bought it. By the time I'm done explaining where not to tough, stick your foot, go near, look at or smell I could have mowed their lawn. I don't need to be sued because some one started the tractor with their kids foot under the deck since my mower deck is never completely off unless the belt is off or the engine is off.

·
Premium Member
9,602 Posts
Sorry, I can;t loan you my mower because of what you did to yours. I will offer to cut your grass "for a fee" till you get your mower running. I spent too much, and too much time on my mowers to loan them out.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I would help my neighbors any way they need help, but will not loan out tools. I will bring my tools, and do the work for them myself with no expectation of compensation, until they abuse it. After that, they are just taking advantage.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Hmmmmm let me ponder this for a bit....

Ok done pondering... Uhhhh NOPE!

You want your grass mowed, buy a mower... If your mower is broke.. Hire a neighborhood kid to do it till yours is fixed, cuz ya ain't using mine!

This ain't the 50's where people took care of your stuff when they borrowed it.
Hey Brett my mowers broke and the neighbor kid is out of town so can I well you know maybe borrow your Deere for a day or two?:hide:.....I promise to take good care of it!:thThumbsU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Hey Brett my mowers broke and the neighbor kid is out of town so can I well you know maybe borrow your Deere for a day or two?:hide:.....I promise to take good care of it!:thThumbsU
You are one of the few exceptions.... :)

I'd honestly lend my Deere out to quite a few MTF'rs before anyone in my town (and NO that's not an offer) LOL!

Pig, Just remember, it takes that smelly red fuel not that stuff your car takes! :greendr: :trink39:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts