My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been checking this forum everyday and no one has posted here yet. I guess I'll break the ice. I have 2001 Scag Turf Tiger 72" cut with a liquid cooled 27HP Kawasaki. I bought it used last fall with 1700 hours on the clock. The ZTR runs great and cuts beautifully. My only regret is not selling my walk behind and buying the ZTR sooner than I did. It stripes the grass fairly well without a striping kit but I'm looking to better define the stripes. Any ideas on homemade striping kits? I have seen people use rubber mud flaps and others that have used chains. Anybody have anything that works well, is easy to put together and won't break the bank?

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rubber stripping is the best for building a stripping kit. When I get a chance, I will go take some pictures of my stripping kit on one of my machines.

Were did you pick that scag up?

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
itsgottobegreen,

Pictures of your stripping flap would be helpful. I bought the Scag from a small LCO in York, PA back in September '04. He was scaling his business back to part time and liquidating his larger equipment. He told me he had owned the ZTR for only 1 year and he bought it from Brickman's in the fall of '03 when they had their annual liquidation sale. It still has a Brickman asset number tag on it. Over the winter I took it into my dealer and had everything serviced and the throttle linkage replaced. The dealer said it is in great shape. I'm real happy with the purchase.

Where do operate down in MD? I have a summer place on the eastern shore across the bay from Annapolis.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I run out of Mt. Airy, MD which is were carroll,fredrick, montgomery and howard counties come together. If you got a worth while amount work to do. I might come down that way.

Got the pictures. Just have to load them.

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
itsgottobegreen said:
I run out of Mt. Airy, MD which is were carroll,fredrick, montgomery and howard counties come together. If you got a worth while amount work to do. I might come down that way.

Got the pictures. Just have to load them.
No work to do there. My yard down there is nothing but a postage stamp! I was just curious if you ever worked down on the Eastern Shore or not.

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics

Hey itsgottobegreen,

Did you get a chance to upload those pics yet? I'd like to see your ideas for mounting a rubber flap. I just bought a bolt on trailer hitch from j-thomas and I need get that mounted. I was thinking I could make a bracket that would bolt to the hitch to hold the flap? What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here are the pictures

Its a piece of 3/8" rubber being held on by some 1.5" by .25" flat steel stock and the bolts are tapped into the deck.

I rebuilt this stander so while I was reassmbling it I was able to take pictures.

Pictures removed for patent protection.

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a neat idea to mount the flap directly on the deck. I was thinking more along the lines off hanging off the rear of the mower behind the engine. I'll have to check my deck out and see if your way would be feasible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Most guys mount them behind the deck. I mounted mine right to the deck. Other mount a flag that drags behind the machine. They work great. I still can see stripes on some properties that Mowed back in Nov. and its March.

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Striping kit

Finally got around to slapping together a striping kit. I bought a 3' pc of galvanized slotted angle and bolted a couple of mud flaps to it. I then bolted the whole thing to trailer hitch on my turf tiger. It looks good but I can't say that it really did much to improve the striping. Maybe it's not heavy enough? My next thought is to hang lengths of chain from the slotted channel?

I'll have to snap some pictures of what I have so far and post them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts