My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this Spring, I put together a few lawnboys and cut a few lawns with them. I have a 10550 and a 10324 that are working pretty well. I also picked up an Ultra by Murray for free and got that running without much issue. I was going to get rid of the 10324 because I wasn't using it much and use the Kawasaki as my other mower. My wife says I always come home smelling like oil...

I was cutting the other day with the Ultra with the Kawasaki. The drive belt was off when I got it but never had a problem after putting it back on. I was cutting a lawn that hadn't been cut in 3 weeks and he wants it short - less than 2". That Kawasaki almost died on me a few times. Left clumps all over and I had to go back over about 4x's in spots. Then the belt fell off. Man-o-man was that a chore pushing that big heavy mower around without the drive.

I think I might keep the 10324 as my second mower and sell the Ultra with the Kawasaki. It does have better suction and cuts better a high heights but it is heavy and the power isn't close to the Duraforce. I didn't smell like oil when I came home. I was pretty tired though.

GP

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,789 Posts
Yeah, thats like the big old Snapper commercials witht the 6.5HP Robin 4 strokers I had. They were 130 pounds of monstrous bulk...incredible bulk... LOL I mean who cares if you got an Allison V12 on there if you are beat to death to use it?

I have a 10323 that I rarely use, but when got an area like that that you need to beat down the weeds with or scalp a lawn with, it will blow right on through it and do the job.

My aluminum decks do the normal everyday work. My newly aquired Honda will as well.
But the Honda is the only 4 stroker I will allow on the premises anymore.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I don't think any mower would have cut 3 week growth down to 2 inches in one pass without clumping and/or stalling. A Duraforce may or may not have done the same job, I don't now, but I personally wouldn't condemn the Murray because of that one trial.

At least do as lawnboy_dan suggested and snatch the Kawi off the Murray and keep it around. With some luck, you might be able to re-power the Murray with something cheap and sell it for 50 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts