My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Legacy XL with LC Kawi
Here's what's happening:
When key is turned to the on position everything lights up on the dash as it should and I hear the fuel pump or what I assume is the fuel pump. Then start position I get no click or anything just no crank. I have been able to jump it with a screwdriver at the solenoid once. The 2nd time I tried the screwdriver trick the starter spun but didn't engage so I assume the starter was spinning backwards.

Other times it will start right up.

I have a multi-meter but I'm not really that good with diagnosing electronics so if someone could give me step by step on checking volts that would help.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

·
TRACTORHAULIC
92 Posts
Hey KB, it is a starter wiring issue. contact the dealer near you and ask them about the starter relay repair kit. I had the same issue with mine, 2007 lc Kawasaki 4x4. Scott at Wales lawn and garden was extremely helpfull getting me up and going.
Good luck, Bill

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
From the description given, my unedumacated guess is a bad starter. The starter WILL NOT spin backwards. Sounds like you have a burned spot(s) on the starter armature.

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried again last night, no luck. I turned it probably 50 times....I guess I'll look into the starter relay. Thanks everyone. I will post when I correct the problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mr. Destinys' suggestion is the way to go. I believe it has something to do with the amount of voltage/ amps getting to the starter.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,429 Posts
Hey KB, it is a starter wiring issue. contact the dealer near you and ask them about the starter relay repair kit. I had the same issue with mine, 2007 lc Kawasaki 4x4. Scott at Wales lawn and garden was extremely helpfull getting me up and going.
Good luck, Bill
Seems I recall this was a problem solved by adding a relay to the circuit. IIRC, there is insufficient voltage reaching the coil of the solenoid, and the relay circuit cures this. You might try putting a voltmeter on the solenoid coil lead while trying to crank, just to see.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,429 Posts
Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
961 Posts
My Prestige did the same thing. Sometimes it would crank on the first try. Other times it would only click. I usually had to turn the key 2 or 3 times when it clicked before it would finally crank. I put a relay on mine and never had a problem with it since. Here is a link with info in it that I used to wire mine up. I have the part number for the relay I used and some other parts that I got from Del City if you would like them let me know.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/234-articles-bodywork-electrical/209618-starter-assist-relay-assembly-install.html#post1884933

·
4K Poster!!!
4,429 Posts
That article on your Prestige is an excellent post! No problems on my Conquest in the past ten years, but you never know...

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update. Spoke to local dealer, he said they put in an additional solenoid in-line to the original solenoid and that solves the problem. I might go that direction. I will update when I find the solution.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,429 Posts
A solenoid is just a heavy duty relay, real overkill in this application. But, it will work. It's your money. I suspect the dealer does this because there is not an OEM relay available.

·
Tractor Nerd
3,236 Posts
On my older legacy. I have always had issues with the switch on the brake pedal. Cleaned it many times and the issue comes back. So, I rewired it and no longer a issue. But the things mentioned above, sounds a lot like what I've dealt with when it comes to the brake switch.

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the tractor back today from the shop. Pics below. Sorry I forgot to take before pics.

Attachments

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: After a couple days the no crank situation occurred again. Maybe it was a safety switch issue, I'm not sure. I just installed a 60 amp push button switch directly to the solenoid and hid it under the dash since the key was working intermittently. Either way, it's gone now and new owner can mount the push button on the dash if they so choose. I left them plenty of wire to do so and they seemed fine with the push button option.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
So now what are you going to replace it with?

·
Learning the hard way
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now what are you going to replace it with?
Well since you asked...In April 2014 I bought a '04 XL 4x4 LC KAWA with 60" deck and front blade and standard turf tires w/o rear PTO and 3 pt. with 650hrs. In August of that year I bought a FEL for it and have loved it ever since but wanted to get a 48" deck (60" just too big for my yard) and a snow blower for it. Fast forward to July '16 I found a '06 XL 4x4 LC KAWA with FEL, 60" deck, single stage snow blower, turbo bagger and rear PTO and 3 pt. with field trax on 3 of the 4 tires and just under 500hrs. So I swapped the loader, and deck onto the '04 and sold with bagger. Now I thought that was gonna be it until yesterday when I bought a '05 XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 48" mower deck, back blade, and rear PTO and 3 pt. with 430hrs and 4 field trax tires. So I'm keeping the 48" deck and back blade and selling one of the 2 with the 60" deck and loader of course. This is where I stand today no knowing what unit I'm keeping. Pros and Cons to each would be great.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts