My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been building a grand deck for some time now. Started last June. Just showing more examples of how great the loader is for many varied jobs. I've used it to
First, the plans. The main house is a Cape Cod, 33' wide. The deck is about 45' wide, 20' deep, with a 13' octagon. Me and a buddy drew up the plans over several train rides home from work using Google sketchup.

Some notes: two staircases, a slightly raised bbq area so no one encroaches me while I am griling; the eating area is surrounded by planters with no through traffic, different direction floorboards to break up a huge area, an octagon I like to say will be a cigar area for the guys while the ladies clean up dinner (sorry!), and the entire thing is freestanding because affixing to hollow cement block is a bit dubious. I purposely made it two steps down from the house so the pergola will hook up under the tiny overhang with enough headroom.

The post hole digger works great in my sandy Long Island soil. A video on youtube under "peltzr" shows it in action. Cement work is a piece of cake. I get home depot to load a pallet with 30 bags or so of cement and forklift it on to the truck. Then take it home, and easily move the bags to the raised bucket at the same height so no bending. From there they get cut open and easily dumped into the cement mixer. again, no bending.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1) Then, the loader helped with leveling the 20' beams, 2) It made it easy to bring the 20 footers to the backyard and lift them onto the deck framing, 3) The backhoe helped me move a misplaced footing, (I should have been more precise with my footing placements, 4) helped me place the mock up octagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then, 1) it helped me place the actual octagon, 2) it helped me lift the bbq platform out of the way so I could bolt the post-bases down, 3) it lifted the octagon steps into place on the deck after I assembled them on the ground, 4) my 2 y.o. son (who likes the tractor) helping Daddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now some current pics. Still have a ways to go.

I have done a lot of major things to my house. (I'm the guy who chopped a hole in the back of his house to get a shower stall installed. pics on this site somewhere), but this feels like it will be my crowning achievement. The intense feeling of pride and accomplishment I get from looking at this project in its stages is indescribable. My Daddy taught me well.

1) late-stage framing, 2) the bbq platform - first work with the Azek decking) 3) octagon stairs, 4) getting there.

Attachments

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
First of all, GREAT WORK!

Did you have to get a special PHD? I didn't think these machines had enough lift on the 3PH's for PHD's?

That machine is an invaluable tool for your tasks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brings me to the current state. The Legacy is not used much now; the Cub+trailer is bringing my tools back and forth and acting as a workbench.

1) I highly recommend the Cor-tex screw+plug system. Careful selection of the plug and the screw holes disappear. really is amazing. 2) Main platform almost done 3) some nice angles. I also tried to minimize the number of ripped boards, so stairs were adjusted on the fly so the leading board would be full width. I get obsessive about these things. 4) The deck is coming out *exactly* like the plans. This may be a first for me.

I will be starting the octagon soon. Glad I waited because I continuously think about how I am going to accomplish some tasks and I think I figured out a way to make it line up properly.

Again, it's taking a ridiculous amount of time to build, but the personal satisfaction is off the charts, and one day it will be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Randy: That is a tremendous job that you are doing and it looks just great. Way to go, just think in no time you will be having your party's and just think of all of those compliments that you will be getting.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Yeah that deck looks absolutely gorgeous.. don't even want to know what it costs with all that synth planking! But it should be nice and care free for a very loooooong time!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sweet job!! I like the lines and layout you set up, you have a whole world outside to enjoy now and JR looks like he will get lots of use out of it !

·
Registered
700 Posts
Phenomenal work Randy. I have the feeling that you're doing this all by yourself which is even more impressive. That and the fact that you take the time and energy to take all the pictures and post them here.

You are very creative person. Well done.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Simply outstanding work! I love to see your son involved and of course seeing the Legacy in action saving your back and making things much easier. Please keep us updated!! I've always enjoyed your pics and videos of the Legacy working.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the compliments!

The post hold digger is a regulare sized-for-subcompacts model. There is not much clearance when traveling, but it works well, at least in my soil. In rocky soil it may be a different story.

And of course, everyone is invited over when it's done. Long Island is not too central to anywhere but Long Island, but hey, all the troopers out there can make a road trip out of it.

Tomorrow I am going to Jersey to visit a friend and while there I am visiting a TSC store to pick up an Ingersoll 80gal 175 psi compressor.

"Happiness is having all the tools you need, and a need for all your tools"

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You do very nice work! slkpk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts