My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've got some questions on the Legacy line.. I currently have a Cub GT3100 and am looking to move over to a Legacy. I've always liked the Legacys and should have probably bought one in the 1st place..

I don't have any real complaints about the Cub - It's pretty loaded - Power Steering, Shaft Drive, Hyd Lift, Johnny Bucket.. Anyway, I suppose my biggest complaint is it doenst cut like the Simplicitys that I've seen. That, and it's kind of a like a car to me - I like to switch it up every few years.

That being said, I know that the XL is the preferred tractor due to standard hydraulics, etc. Do the tractors (XL and Non-XL) have the same frame and wheelbase? I test drove an XL last year and was impressed with it's stance - and it also felt huge compared to the GT3100. Wondering if it's the same overall size as the non-XL Legacy.

Lastly, what is the highest number of engine hours (gas) that you'd consider when purchasing a used Legacy.

Many thanks!
Scott

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
What ever you do, try to get one that's liquid cooled. My Mother's Husband has an XL and the machine is a tank, except the engine! at 235 hours the Kohler Command Professional decided to snap off rocker arm studs. It appears that it got hot.. the fins were clear, fan was clear, oil was always changed on time and was at the appropriate level.

This class of machine deserves a world class engine...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Having had both the Legacy and now the Legacy XL I would say the frames are pretty close to the same. When I sold my Legacy it had the 25HP Kohler and it had 900 hours on it with no problems at all. I also had a SunStar with the Kohler and had over 1000 hours on it with no problems at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the XL has a longer wheelbase, 59 versus 55 inches. I believe they stretched it to accommodate the 4WD. The Legacy was only available in 2 wheel drive where the Legacy XL is available in 2 or 4 wheel drive. I too have had both the standard Legacy (2001 w/23hp Air Cooled Kohler) and a 2006 XL 4WD (27 w/27hp Kawasaki Liquid Cooled).

Good thing about the standard Legacy is that it had a 2 speed rear axle. I loved that and miss that on the XL. I used it primarily with a loader and it did a great job....even though it only had 2 wheel drive.

The XL... the 4WD is great. Again I use it primarily with a loader and even though the old Legacy did a great job, the 4WD is tough to beat, expecially if you have hills. On board hydraulics are nice too.

I had about 250 hours on the Kohler when I sold that and it ran flawlessly the whole time. I have about the same on the Kawasaki right now so which one will last longer? Who knows. All things being equal, I would assume the liquid cooled engine would last longer. I've heard both engines are suppose to last about 2000 hours but especially with a used tractor, a lot will depend on how it was maintained.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone - I appreciate the insight and advice! Is the non-XL Legacy all shaft drive (transmission and deck)? Anyone have any idea what trans is in the non-XL?

·
6,553 Posts
The Kawasaki's are proven to last longer... Sorry I just don't trust Briggs or Kohler anymore and certainly NOT at this price point. My Mother's Husband's XL would be a better machine if we did an engine swap and got rid of the Command. Air cooled in a $7000.00 machine? Not on my planet! But as I said, when he bought his, he wasn't aware (or it may have not even been available) in Liquid Cooled or Diesel. After driving my machine... He wants a Diesel! :)

Aside from his engine issue, it's a beast of a machine!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just bought a 98 legacy with a kawasaki liquid engine, showing 1300+ hours that runs real good. Bad thing is the hour meter don't work, didn't know that when I bought it. So, I don't have a clue how many hours are truely on this machine. I did get it for a decent price, so I'm happy with it. Has a newer 60" deck and triple bagger with turbo blower. Seems to be better on fuel than my 918 Agco with the kohler and a 48" deck.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
I have two Legacys - both with the Kohler command engines.

The 2000 Legacy has 410 hours on it and the 1999 Agco (Legacy clone) has 920 hours on it.
They are both running excellent and I have no problems on the engine other than the starter solenoid was getting a little weak on the Agco. Through the help of this forum I installed an auxiliary relay that took care of that problem.

I bought the Agco with 810 hours on it. I really had no concerns on it as the price was right and I figured that even if I had to replace the engine it would still be a good tractor and be worth it for me. That being said I find the Kohler engines fairly easy to work on if needed, but so far I have not had to do anything to them. :trink39:

In my book the used Legacy's fall into two categories. The ones with less than 400 hours are most desirable as that is the service interval for the hydro. You can often find them, but you are paying a premium for the lower hours. The other category is less than 1,000 hours. Here you can find some pretty good deals if you look long enough. If you get 1,500 hours out of the engine this will still be 10 years for my average use of 50 hours per year (per tractor).

The only downside I have heard about the newer XL versions is that the hydro pressure is a bit weaker than the old Legacy if you are using a FEL. The old style had a separate pump while the XL is using the existing hydro. And then of cause the higher price tag.

Apart from the notorious right hand side blown head gasket on the Kohler verticals I have been very pleased with the Kohler Commands and have had 5 or 6 of them.
The Agco with the 900+ hours on it is the oldest on I have had, but I find that the compression is still good and it runs as smooth as a new engine. I do maintain them very well and use synthetic oil in them. These engines also have the oil cooler which I believe will help extend the life of them.

So even though they may not be as nice as the liquid cooled Kawasaki's I do not find the price difference being worth it for me. If I use the tractor 50 hours per year it really doesn't matter much to me if the engine last 1,500 hours (30 years) or 2,500 hours (50 years). It is probably longer than I will keep the tractor in either case.

To Brett's point though I must say that I do envy the Diesel. Really just because I love the sound and it kind of makes it a "real" tractor. New price difference is around $ 4,500 last time I checked though so you can go through about 3 Kohlers and still be even on cost.
(granted the Diesel may then still be ticking after they give up, but at 90 year life span I think I will have stopped ticking myself long before that :drunkie:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, everyone.. I've come across an Agco 2027XL locally at a dealer.. They are at $4500 firm for it. It's got a 60" mower and 344 hours on the Kohler. Looks to be in good shape. What do you guys think of that price?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks again, everyone.. I've come across an Agco 2027XL locally at a dealer.. They are at $4500 firm for it. It's got a 60" mower and 344 hours on the Kohler. Looks to be in good shape. What do you guys think of that price?
I'd make sure the hour meter works, mine doesn't. I looked at a 2005 xl 4x4 27 hp kawasaki liquid that had 521 hours for 5500.00 firm. If I was a younger man I would have bought it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4x4 Liquid Kaw with loader for $5500? That's an awesome price!

I went back to check out the 2027 today.. The dealership closed at noon, but they leave some of their stock out front.. It looks to be in really good condition.. One question, though, to the XL owners... The hydraulics joystick moves freely up and down, and also to the "float" position, but it doesnt seem to want to move left/right. Am I missing something? Can these things get jammed? Since the dealership wasnt open, I couldnt ask anyone..

I'm going back Monday am to make a decision, but I figured I'd see if this type of issue has come up with others.. (Or if it's an issue at all, or just my lack of knowledge on how to operate it..)

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't see where a loader was mentioned. It had a 60" mower but no loader.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry.. Don't know where I got that.. Have a loader on my mind!

·
6,553 Posts
My Mother's Hubby's XL Joystick moves freely in all directions, but there could be a lock out feature to lock out the side/side motion. I am not that familiar with it's hydraulic system to answer that. I just know the Joystick on my Deere had a lockout to block one axis of movement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts